Rafa comments on the game

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:52 pm

Rafael Benitez was left to rue his side's missed chances as his first experience of the Merseyside derby ended in a disappointing defeat. 
Lee Carsley's second half strike settled the contest but Benitez believes his players should have made more use of the opportunities which came their way.
Neil Mellor missed a golden chance to break the deadlock with a close range header in the first half while Steven Gerrard went close on a couple of occasions late on.

He said: "In football the team that scores the goals wins games. If you have chances but don't score then you can't win.

"In the first half we had two or three chances and we needed to score. If we'd scored then the second half would have been different.

"I thought we controlled the game in the first half even though it was a very difficult game. Everton are very aggressive and made it hard for us, but I thought we were controlling things.

"Then when they scored we had to change things to try and get an equaliser, but it didn't happen."

On his decision to start with Salif Diao in midfield in preference to Xabi Alonso, Benitez said: "We decided to go with the players who had fresh legs. Didi and Salif hadn't played this week and so we used them today.

"You can ask questions about the team but in my opinion, as I said, we controlled the match in the first half. We just needed to score.

"It's a disappointing end to what had been a good week for us. Now we have to make sure that next week is another good one." 
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:54 pm

boy .... am i glad he did not come up with the "we had more shots on target than opposition" excuse  :p
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:55 pm

:(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:48 pm

godamnit wish we won
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:01 pm

I also wanna slap that old c/unt  duncan ferguson on the face
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:19 pm

We still have some luck on our side. Bolton failed to win today so we are still in 7th place. If Aston Villa draw with Birmingham and we beat Portsmouth we will then be in 6th place. Not much but we have to take it step by step
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion