Rafa benitez - Got to get it right

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Tue May 30, 2006 11:43 am

Discussing the original post

But now its crunch time. The sale of Morientes and impending sale of Cisse means Liverpool need strikers and unfortunately our recent record for buying good prolific strikers is awful. Morientes, Cisse,Diouf and Heskey cost Liverpool over £40million, near enough £1million per goal (not a great return) This puts additional pressure on Rafa to get it right, especially as Chelsea, United,Newcastle,and Spurs are all after strikers as well.

Every season start is as crunch time if you ask me, I don't think last summer the pressure was any smaller, we had a CL league, we had to start the season very early, and we had to buy some players in order we kept up the Champions of Europe reputation. The pressure was really, high, it's always like that at this level. Now Rafa has the same pressure, but more credit in the "Patience of People" account, as he has won another major title. Of course he'll have to get it right, and as last year, he'll do the best he can, and then the market will say if he can bring exactly what he wants, or second choices. And time will tell as always if he's right.

Did he got it right? well, he did what he could, with some successes and failures. Sucesses like signing up Reina, Failures, in that if in winter we were in a need of a new striker (Fowler) and a RW (we tried to sign up people like Victor) and that means we didn't finnish the task of reinforcing in summer (
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue May 30, 2006 12:07 pm

In fairness Sabre, does anyone ever finish the task of re-inforcin? Even money bags chelski carry on buyin for their reseve team to get better!! I don't believe any manager ever buys a player with complete satisfaction, theres always some problem durin the season. Take Owen.... has a club ever spent so much money on one player to play less than half a season as Souey did at the barcodes? Robbie aint cost us much, if anythin, up to yet and Simao cost us more potentially by not signin!!
Rafa's got his head screwed on, his awareness of what the FA Cup meant to us after the Burnley debacle proved that. Somehow i doubt we'll have the same issues as under GH in 12 months time, besides which we have a better squad now to build on.
Look forward to the comin season with anticipation, not fear.... enjoy whats on offer and see the bright side, not the potential pitfalls that could be there, those pitfalls could beset any club. The only team in the EPL with the backup to have no fear of injuries is chelski, and we caught 27 points on them last year.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:39 pm

s@int wrote:Leonmc0708 I have "followed" Liverpool since the 1965 cup final. I was a regular supporter going to most home games and a few away games up to 1982 when I got married. Since 1982 I have been a TV supporter only unfortunately. My first game at anfield was a 2-0 win over manU 1968 my second match was the following home game against Newcastle 2-1. I never missed another home game that season68/69. 1969/70 I missed 1 home game against Burnley on boxing day that we drew 1-1. if you want more information Iwill be happy to oblige.

Nice to see you found the search facility on Liverweb.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:41 pm

Bamaga man wrote:This is what makes this forum so good or bad at times, in this instance members like Lando and Babu critise the initial post. Is this because he is relatively new ?

I would suggest that its cus it was garbage and nothing to do with the fact that the poster is new or old.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alonso14 » Tue May 30, 2006 12:48 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:This is what makes this forum so good or bad at times, in this instance members like Lando and Babu critise the initial post. Is this because he is relatively new ?

I would suggest that its cus it was garbage and nothing to do with the fact that the poster is new or old.

Leo the Lion.
Alonso14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 30, 2006 12:49 pm

Leonmc0708 I have also been to 3 testimonial matches which I doubt would be on Liverweb. GERRY BYRNE'S against an all star eleven ( including Stanley Mathews) Roger Hunt's in which Howard Gayle played  against  a German team and Ian Stjohn's against Chelsea.
account deleted by request

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue May 30, 2006 12:52 pm

Strange how so many threads on here end up as slangin matches. No wonder the average football fan is regarded as scum by so much of the non-football playin/watchin/supportin population. And the FA hope these fans can come together in peace in Germany..... ???
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 30, 2006 12:59 pm

I am sorry kenny I will for my part just ignore them in future.
account deleted by request

Postby azriahmad » Tue May 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Rafa may have had some not-so-good signings, but most are free like Nunez (forced upon him by Real Madrid and Owen determined to leave and not sign a contract extension), Pellegrino (a veteran of Valencia who knows Rafa's zonal defense play but still came for free) and Josemi (at 2 million, he was hardly expected to set Liverpool alight).

The good ones are led by Alonso, Momo, Reina and Garcia. Crouch has delivered somewhat and should have cost us only 5 million max. Agger is one for the future, and has been looking good when he played. Kronkamp is a smart piece of business being swapped for Josemi.

The only notable "flop" is Morrientes, but then even as a flop, he did play his heart out and sun his socks off whenever he plays.

Liverpool can field a whole team and some from Houllier's flops who are much more expensive. Arsenal also had their fair share of flops and Wenger can again build a team with the flops - Jeffers, Stephanov etc. (I forgot a lot of them already as I am not a fan of Arsenal). What about MU? How much have they spent on 'keepers alone who are flops?

Rafa's record has been good when considering the resources he has had. Poor transfer record? Too early to say but he won't be a massive spender on nobody's like Houllier and IMHO, he is on the right track towards bringing Liverpool FC back to the football summit.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:36 pm

s@int wrote:But now its crunch time. The sale of Morientes and impending sale of Cisse means Liverpool need strikers and unfortunately our recent record for buying good prolific strikers is awful.

Show me a club who has bought a "good prolific striker" and I will show you ten who have not.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:38 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:Strange how so many threads on here end up as slangin matches. No wonder the average football fan is regarded as scum by so much of the non-football playin/watchin/supportin population. And the FA hope these fans can come together in peace in Germany..... ???

no they fucccking dont.  :D
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Tue May 30, 2006 1:54 pm

s@int wrote:Leonmc0708 I have also been to 3 testimonial matches which I doubt would be on Liverweb. GERRY BYRNE'S against an all star eleven ( including Stanley Mathews) Roger Hunt's in which Howard Gayle played  against  a German team and Ian Stjohn's against Chelsea.

I wouldn't bother trying to prove yourself, it's pretty pointless to be honest, it's just a messageboard. A lot of Liverpool fans seem to think the sun shines out of Mr Benitez's (a)rse and refuse to be critical of any of his decisions, they treat it like a sin that is punishable with the death penalty.
48-1119859832

Postby Speedy Gonzalez » Tue May 30, 2006 3:11 pm

To highlight this I give you the following example. Imagine these two midfield combinations.

Pennant          Gerrard       Alonso        Gonzalez

Or

Joaquin           Gerrard       Alonso        Gonzalez

No disrespect to Pennant, but if we were able to break the bank for Joaquin we would have 2 wide players with pace to spare who have bag loads of skill to boot. That second midfield is quite frankly awesome and easily beats the Chelsea combination of Duff and Robben in the wide areas imo.
That midfield combines skill, pace, aggression, finesse and unrivalled passing ability.

I think any forward in the premiership would love that midfield supplying them with ammunition !

Its ok you saying play Gonzalez and Pennant.

Pennant's not that good or he would not be at Birmingham, and I bet you have never seen Gonzalez kick a ball. Unknown quantity. How can they cope in an LFC shirt?

It's ok Rafa buying spanish league young players who are highly regarded, but they are not proven to win the EPL, or be of that standard. It's Risky.

I personally cannot think of any striker, apart from a few premiership duds, that Rafa can buy. Kuyt isnt going anywhere as he got a new contract. Theres no certainty we would get Joaquin either.

You can see from the signings Mourhinio is going for that he is not taking those risks!   Ballack, Shev? Carlos?

I was disapointed after we won the CL as we only got Sissoko who was supposed to be any good. I thought Rafa would bring in Europes elite to take LFC to the next level.
Last edited by Speedy Gonzalez on Tue May 30, 2006 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Speedy Gonzalez

Postby LFC #1 » Tue May 30, 2006 4:48 pm

Speedy Gonzalez wrote:I thought Rafa would bring in Europes elite to take LFC to the next level.

Surely nearly coming 2nd after coming 5th in the legaue, and closing the gap on Chelsea by almost 30 points is going to "the next level".

Hustler mate, you're posts always have some undertone. A few ID's back you were always very pro ManU, now it seems to be very pro-Chelsea, what's your story? Why do you persist with your dozens of new ID's winding us up?
Last edited by LFC #1 on Tue May 30, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 30, 2006 6:13 pm

Speedy Gonzalez wrote:You can see from the signings Mourhinio is going for that he is not taking those risks!   Ballack, Shev? Carlos?

I was disapointed after we won the CL as we only got Sissoko who was supposed to be any good. I thought Rafa would bring in Europes elite to take LFC to the next level.

Well, it's a matter of money isn't it?  Mourinho can go out and buy Shevchenko, Ballack and Carlos if he wants.  On a purely financial basis, he could probably also pick up Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Joaquin or anyone else you could care to name this summer without Roman feeling the pinch.  Chelsea operates in a different financial universe then the rest of us so comparing their signings to our signings as simply not on.

Get a clue lad!  :veryangry
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion