Rafa benitez - Got to get it right

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 30, 2006 3:26 am

s@int wrote:
Quote (s@int @ May 29 2006,04:50)
Morientes, Cisse,Diouf and Heskey cost Liverpool over £40million, near enough £1million per goal (not a great return)

All but 1 of these players were signed by Houllier

All of these players were bought by Liverpool fc using Liverpool fc money hence the relevance to how much money Benitez will have to spend on new players.

The only one talking cr*p is you if you think there are  no consequences to bad buys no matter who was responsible.

That is not what you said in your initial post.

WHat you DID say was that Benitez's record in transfers was mediocre, or words to that effect.
Am I right in saying that you implied that the afore-mentioned strikers were all poor buys by Rafa? Did you even once say that LFC were to blame, or did you infact come out and have a pop at the gaffer?

Purely as a matter of interest, where in my response to you did I say there were no consequences from bad-buys?

Again, whole-heartedly, passionately, and irreversibly:

You are talking sh*t.  :nod

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 30, 2006 3:30 am

Effes wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
s@int wrote:Morientes, Cisse,Diouf and Heskey cost Liverpool over £40million, near enough £1million per goal (not a great return)

All but 1 of these players were signed by Houllier.

No one on Earth could have guessed Mori would fail here.

So what you REALLY mean is you want to talk sh*t.

Well done - mission accomplished.  :;):  :no

Harsh.

I think he re-iterated his point after his initial post.

I agree it is similar to the Houllier situation where we followed the 2001 Treble with 2nd in the League.
EVERYONE was optimistic, but naff signings meant we could not build on our new-found success.

The thread is not a load of sh*te Lando.

Well that is a matter of opinion, Effes.

What is also a matter of opinion, (mine), is that "s@int" is infact a Manc.

He builds himself up to be some old-timer who has supported the team for decades, but his tact changes all the time.
For e.g:

This thread was started as a means to have a go at Rafa, but as you read on, he actually begins to defend Beni, and rubbish what he has already said.

Hardly the actions of a seasoned, "mature" fan.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue May 30, 2006 3:35 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Effes wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
s@int wrote:Morientes, Cisse,Diouf and Heskey cost Liverpool over £40million, near enough £1million per goal (not a great return)

Harsh.

I agree it is similar to the Houllier situation where we followed the 2001 Treble with 2nd in the League.
EVERYONE was optimistic, but naff signings meant we could not build on our new-found success.

He builds himself up to be some old-timer who has supported the team for decades, but his tact changes all the time.
For e.g:

This thread was started as a means to have a go at Rafa, but as you read on, he actually begins to defend Beni, and rubbish what he has already said.

Fair do's if you're right.

I don't really pay that much attention to who says what where etc.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 30, 2006 3:59 am

Effes wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Effes wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:

Harsh.

For e.g:

Fair do's if you're right.

I don't really pay that much attention to who says what where etc.

Neh probs mate.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 30, 2006 4:28 am

My opinion is your a stupid idiot Lando who cant understand simple English. I was having a go at Rafa by saying he was a great manager ?I had a go at Rafa by saying he had done ok but not exceptional in the transfer market. I never said or implied that all those buys were Rafas. You want to try reading a post rather than letting your bitter Manc mind read what you want.
:censored: :p  its a matter of opinion and my opinion is you just dont matter.
account deleted by request

Postby babu » Tue May 30, 2006 5:53 am

aiie S@int you have made some good posts. But starting this thread with absolutly no point, no topic for discussion is a little bizarre. Sure after others posted, you cleared a few things up and raised some very valid points, but why didn't you say all that in your initial post?

Must say i was confused as to the point you were trying to make.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 30, 2006 6:50 am

Babu sorry if my point wasn't made clear in my original post. All I was basically saying was that transfers are always a  gamble at the best of times and due to past mistakes we cant afford any mistakes now and that this was crunch time for Liverpool. I dont rate most of the players who have been mentioned as possible signings but cant really suggest any better ones. I thought I had made myself clear in my original post but obviously not(which was why I tried again). I was not trying to be snide or derogatory about Rafa as some buffoon tried to make out.
       And just so its perfectly clear to all, I am and have been a liverpool supporter for 40 years and I find it objectional when some idiot who just because he doesnt like particular posts (or poster)starts saying I am a Manc. I come on here like most to read, talk about, and exchange thoughts and ideas about Liverpool not to be harrassed and have threads ruined by some no brainer (that means you LANDO) making stupid accusations.

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue May 30, 2006 7:58 am

s@int wrote:
What is your point? apart from trust in Rafa?

My point is that we are again in a similar position to that which we were in under HOULLIER at the last world cup. The right buys could see us really challenge for title, the wrong ones (ala Houllier) and it will probably set us back a number of years and might even lead to further unrest and problems,as it did last time.I also think it will be much more difficult to get it right this time for the reasons I stated earlier i.e. money wasted previously, more competition for top strikers.
I think this COULD  be a defining moment in the future of Liverpool and Rafa Benitez.

How long have you "followed" Liverpool ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 30, 2006 8:39 am

Leonmc0708 I have "followed" Liverpool since the 1965 cup final. I was a regular supporter going to most home games and a few away games up to 1982 when I got married. Since 1982 I have been a TV supporter only unfortunately. My first game at anfield was a 2-0 win over manU 1968 my second match was the following home game against Newcastle 2-1. I never missed another home game that season68/69. 1969/70 I missed 1 home game against Burnley on boxing day that we drew 1-1. if you want more information Iwill be happy to oblige.

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 30, 2006 8:55 am

Debuts Ihave seen
R. Clemence, A.Lindsey, L.Lloyd against Derby 0-2. T.Lawrence,R.Yeats,I.Stjohn were dropped cos of 2-1 defeat to Watford in FAcup
S.Heighway came on as a sub against Chelsea as B.Graham had broken his leg 0-0
J.Toshack 0-0 against Coventry He had a good shot saved by keeper
K.Keegan scored on his debut in front of the kop after about 10 mins against N.Forest  3-1
J.Mcloughlin scored 2 on his debut against Huddersfield in a 4-0 win F.Worthington played for them that day.
Do you want more ?

Postby JC_81 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:14 am

I don't think we've discussed anything new on this thread really (not criticising you s@int, I know you've not been on the forum long).  We know that there are comparisons between this summer and the summer Houllier bought the infamous trio instead of Anelka and Duff, who would have put us right in the framwe for a title challenge.

We also know that probably 2 strikers of good quality are essential next season (and I would guess at least one of proven premiership quality) as well as a right sided midfielder.  The final few pieces of the jigsaw, if we get the right ones, will surely see us push Chelsea all the way next season.

Personally I don't doubt Benitez's eye for talent in the market, he's more than proven himself by finding more quality players in 2 seasons than his predecessor found in 5.  Morientes his only costly flop, but what side didn't want Morientes at the time we got him?  He looked a class act for Madrid and Monaco.  Alonso is a top class player and Sissoko an excellent prospect, with the likes of Reina and Crouch undoubtedly an improvement on what we had.  Garcia may not be consistent, but he has given us some of the finest goals seen at Anfield in recent years and surely opposing sides must hate playing against him.

One thing I will say is that Benitez will not be rushed.  My only slight worry is that if the right players are not available this summer, then Benitez will wait.  He will not over-spend on players and we saw that in spectacular fashion last summer with Owen.  I have said it's a slight worry, but I also recognise it's for the long-term good of the club.  While some of us might be disappointed if big names, or only 1 or 2 players are signed instead of the 3 we need this summer, we must remember that Benitez is no mug.  We will eventually get the players we need, but it might not all be in one go this summer.  While I would love to go out and blow Chelsea away next season, let's be realistic.  World class strikers don't come around that often and the chances of us finding 2 within our budget plus a right midfielder are slim.

So what does this mean?  I expect Benitez to make one fairly expensive signing on the striker front.  But the other 2 may also be stop-gaps or relatively inexpensive gambles, ie Pennant for the right and a fairly unknown foreign striker or unfancied Premiership striker (eg Bellamy) up front.  Again this would represent steady improvement in the squad, and I think we should prepare ourselves for something like this to happen, rather than be disappointed when we haven't signed Joaquin, Kuyt and Owen come September.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 30, 2006 9:30 am

Another striker that has come to mind since my earlier post would be Klose but apart from noticing hes scored 25 goals this season and watching him scoring quite a few in last world cup I havent seen anything of him. Iwould imagine he would be reasonably priced.

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue May 30, 2006 9:30 am

This is what makes this forum so good or bad at times, in this instance members like Lando and Babu critise the initial post. Is this because he is relatively new ?

He has actually tried to make a decent post and I can see what he's trying to get at, Babu I have noticed your very quick to jump on the backs of members who are relatively new. Ok his initial post may not have been as clear as mud, but lad can you not read between the lines  :no
If not dont reply to this topic as you Babu and Lando have started to turn this into a "sh.it" thread. I will also gurantee you if this same topic was posted by BigMick or Leon you both would have drooled at the lips in response.

So f.ucking transparent  :no
66-1112520797

Postby babu » Tue May 30, 2006 10:03 am

Bamaga man wrote:This is what makes this forum so good or bad at times, in this instance members like Lando and Babu critise the initial post. Is this because he is relatively new ?

He has actually tried to make a decent post and I can see what he's trying to get at, Babu I have noticed your very quick to jump on the backs of members who are relatively new. Ok his initial post may not have been as clear as mud, but lad can you not read between the lines  :no
If not dont reply to this topic as you Babu and Lando have started to turn this into a "sh.it" thread. I will also gurantee you if this same topic was posted by BigMick or Leon you both would have drooled at the lips in response.

So f.ucking transparent  :no

lol, I very rarely jump on the back of anyone. That you think i did in this thread is quite funny.

I seriously did not understand the point he was making. I have said that he did bring up some good points after his first post, which made me think. I don't have anything to add that has not been already been said.

I think its good that someone is willing to raise unpopular points of view or have opinions that differ from the majority, but can we be blamed for being a bit sceptical? there are many wind-up merchants out there, and i am personally sick of posting in threads that turn out to be a piss-take.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 30, 2006 11:27 am

i never understood why we got Morientes , the spanish press at the time said he was unfit and coming to the end, but we did not have much money in the pot at the time and we had just let Owen go and neded a player fast.

must say that i did say from the time he was named as coming to liverpool i said he was going to be a waste....saying that he has got us some goals so i ca not rip into too much.......but then again he missed loads the donkey lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion