Rafa benitez... genius? - Is rafa as good as we think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:38 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
0asis wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
0asis wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Without being funny, to hear some people on here you'd think Paisley and Shankly never lost a game, never made a signing that wasn't a success, and won all their trophies within their first 2 years.

Toe to toe, Rafa is easily up there with both of our greatest managers, and is doing a similar job to Shanks, in as much as he's resurrecting a sleeping giant.

Paisley had a title-winning team when he came to the helm and made it better, which is easier in many respects than starting from an also-ran/2nd Division position.

Shanks had to work harder, IMHO, and laid all the foundations.

Pretty much as Rafa is doing now.

You're getting far too carried away, let Rafa complete his ten year spell with us, then compare him to Shanks and Paisley.

Are you actually a Liverpool fan? DO you want success?

If you look at their records for their first 2 years, I'm sure Rafa's will match Paisley's and definately better SHankly's. (Obviously Shanks started out in Div 2, but even so.)

And do not forget that neither SHanks nor Bob had a money-bags team blocking their path to title success.

Rafa's trophy count in 2 years in charge:

European Cup, European Super Cup and FA Cup.

Shanks:

Remained in Div 2 until 1961-62, when he won the 2nd DIv Championship. Ergo nothing in the first 2 years.

Bob: 2 Titles, Uefa Cup and Euopean Cup.

Can anyone seriously argue that Rafa's record doesn't stand up to his illustious predecessors?

I'm not saying he'll be as successful. I'm not saying he's better. All I'm saying is you can't say he's worse.

Now rejoice that we have the best manager in the World at the helm of our club.

And stop talking sh*t.

What has me being a Liverpool fan and wanting success got to do with with Rafa being a legend like Shanks and Bob? Rafa's record is great don't get me wrong but you I think it's rather early to be comparing Rafa to past legends. I didn't realise ppl's views that were different from your's where s.hit you up your own a.rse p.rick.  :D

Are you THAT thick?

Can't you read, you f*cking spanner?

Did I not say "I'm not saying he'll be as successful. I'm not saying he's better. All I'm saying is you can't say he's worse."?

Does this not mean, by it's very definition, that you can't say he's inferior?

Get a f*cking college prospectus and enroll on an English Course, you f*cking tw*t. :D

:sleep

Typical boring post from you Lando. You keep deluding yourself and thinking Benitez is on par with Shanks and Bob, I really can't be bothered debating with someone who can't finish a sentence without swearing.
48-1119859832

Postby Anfield rapper » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:17 am

Billy_5_Times wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Billy_5_Times wrote:Rafa Benitez is no Paisley or Shanks. Shanks went to Scotland to bring Yeats and St John 2 of better players throughout the 60s. And Bob went to Chester and to Celtic to buy our greatest forwards and cost him less than 1 million. Not like Rafa who goes and spends over 12 million for Garcia and Morientes, what a joke.

FFS! :angry:

First of all, why no mention of Alonso or Reina or Sissoko when discussing Rafa's transfer record compared to Shankley's or Paisley's?  Let's be fair about this!

Second, were it not for Luis Garcia we would not have won a 5th European Cup in May '05 and we may not have won the FA Cup in May '06.  Irritating he may be at times but he has been a huge part of our not insignificant success in the last two years!

And don't get me started about transfer fees in Paisley's day vs today...apples and feckin' oranges!  :no

Ok Reina, Xabi and Momo. 3.

Souness, Barney Rubble (Alan Kennedy to you non Liverpool fans), Jocky Hansen (Alan), Lawro (Mark Lawrenson), Original Zico (Phil Neal), Ray Kennedy, Terry Mc and our clown between the sticks (Bruce G.)

I can count on one finger Bob's bad signing. Actually I'm struggling to find one.

Where as Rafa has made countless bad buys. Zenden, Kromkamp, Garcia (despite his goals) Morientes, Nunez, Pelligrino, Josemi, and Barragan. I have now ran out of fingers and am left with 2 thumbs.

Alright lad, time to put your Dad's classic Liverpool DVDs away and start paying attention to the current side.  Who knows...if you watch them play you might actually appreciate what the likes of Garcia, Zenden or Kewell bring to the side?  ???

Explain to me when is Zenden going to play this year.
Explain to me when was Kewell going to play last year had it not been for Zenden's injury.
Explain to me other than goals what does Garcia bring to the side.

And BTW Bob i don't need my dad's DVDs to know about my club's past. I was brought up to know without books unlike you who seems to need a book just to say Hello.

You must be thicker than the HArd-Back version of the Complete Works of Catherine Cookson.

It's called having a SQUAD, you penis.

If you genuinely believe you can compare the squads now and then, ou're a nob-jockey of the highest order.

I suppose you'd have the team getting p*ssed every night, too?

Time for bed, son.  :no

I don't see why not. Getting :censored: helped them win numerous league titles and european cups and who knows, a few jars may help Garica pass the ball to a teammate.

A squad maybe but everyone thinks that Zenden, Kewell and Garcia should be in our team. Let's see if they would get into the other big sides.

Chelsea:
Zenden or Makelele and Lampard. Chelsea don't want him, that's why they let him go, before Jose arrived.
Kewell or Robben. Robben is quick and consistant. A cheat yes but still better than Kewell.
Garcia or Joe Cole. I'd rather have Joey Cole anyday.

Arsenal:
Zenden or Cesc and Gilberto. Now no matter how bad Gilberto is he wouldn't be in trouble with the arrival of Zenden.
Kewell or Rosicky. Rosicky looked brilliant in the world cup. Kewell looked good but Rosicky gets my vote.
Garcia or Ljungberg. After Ljungberg's season last year I'd go for Luis. So that's finally 1 for the reds side.

Utd:
Zenden or Carrick and Scholes. The English boys win my vote.
Kewell or Giggs. Giggs is still one of the best left wingers in the league and better than Harry.
Garcia or Rooney, since a lot of you want him as the second stiker. Rooney all the way. Or if you want Luis out on the right against Ronaldo, I'd go for a tie. Both aare frustrating with little more than goals. Ronaldo has that more pae.

Why are you comparing Zenden to other teams first team players when they aren't our first team players. As for Garcia he has proved himself against the best teams in Europe. Also i would take Kewell ahead of all of the others you compare him to, but thats just me i am a Liverpool fan after all. Are you?  ???
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:55 am

Liverpool_In_My_Blood wrote:Is Rafa Benitez the magician we think? And do his good points overshadow his bad points?

First off Istanbul. Playing an unfit Harry Kewell. Did Rafa know Harry would get injured and his replacement would score one of our 3 and a penalty or was it just good luck?

FA Cup Final 2006. Rafa, the genius, again plays an unfit player, this time Xabi Alonso. Xabi was never fit enough to play in the game and it was an unfit Xabi that led to the Hammer's first goal. But again Rafa brings on the replacement who changes the game for us and scores a penalty, so yet again his decision to play an unfit player pays off.

His signings:
Morientes-- a waste of time, space and 6 mill.
Nunez-- was never going to be the answer and we lost Michael Owen in the process.
Josemi-- never going to displace Finnan and didn't hack it as a centre half.
Pelligrino-- wasn't bought as a permanant player, just to give Sami the rest for Europe and that workd but when Pelligrino played he was useless.

So despite the FA Cup and European Cup, is Rafa Benitez the genius we think?

As far as I'm concerned, yes he is a genius for bringing us within 9 points of Chelsea, winning the FA and European cup and bringing Alonso, Sissoko and Reina to the club.

But I thought I would point out these to see if they made any of you think differently about Rafa and I want to hear your views on the points I have made above.

blimey.

are you related to lakes10?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:18 pm

Billy_5_Times wrote:Explain to me other than goals what does Garcia bring to the side.

Simple...silverware.  Look, sunshine, I'll explain it in terms that even you can understand:

Were it not for Luis Garcia, your username would have to be Billy_4_Times.  End of.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion