Rafa : baros loss is a blow - Time for young lads to become men ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:02 pm

I read on the official site that, Rafael Benitez says the loss of striker Milan Baros for at least four weeks is a major blow to his plans, but says it opens the door for the likes of Neil Mellor and Florent Sinama-Pongolle to stake a claim for a place.

Benitez says he will now have to work on new ideas as he tries to find ways to win matches without his two first choice strikers in Baros and Cisse.

Both Baros and Cisse have electric pace and without that the manager says he will find a solution to that problem.

Benitez said: "Milan will be out for four weeks at least and he played very well in the last game when he scored a hat-trick and it is a blow to us. I will need to work hard with Mellor, Kewell, Luis Garcia and Sinama-Pongolle and try new ideas.

Is it significant that it is Mellors name that the gaffer mentioned first? I hope so as I think this is Neil's big break, (pardon the pun) and a chance for boys to become men.

Rafa continued, "We need to find new ideas and Mellor will be in the squad for the Middlesbrough game. He is training well and if he keeps doing that and plays well then he will have possibilities. We have a lot of games coming up so we will need the whole squad."

Obviously the one plus, and what a plus it is, is the return of Steven Gerrard who is now expected to come straight back into the starting line-up at Middlesbrough rather than a bench start as was muted earlier in the week.

Benitez said "It is very important to have Gerrard back and it's good for the team. Steven felt a little tired the other day but he has trained well and is in good shape." 

Now I know there are many Baros threads, but lets take a real look at what this means:

20 Nov, 2004  Middlesbrough (A)       Barclays Premiership 
23 Nov, 2004  Monaco (A)               Champions League Group Phase
28 Nov, 2004  Arsenal (H)                Barclays Premiership 
01 Dec, 2004  Spurs (A)                  Carling Cup 1/4 final   
04 Dec, 2004  Aston Villa (A)            Barclays Premiership 
08 Dec, 2004  Olympiacos (H)           Champions League Group Phase
11 Dec, 2004  Everton (A)                Barclays Premiership   
14 Dec, 2004  Portsmouth (H)           Barclays Premiership 
19 Dec, 2004  Newcastle United (H)   Barclays Premiership   

Now then, we play for local pride against the bitter blues, without the lad, the quarter final of the league cup, no Baros, against Newcastle and Arsenal, and to top it all off, we MUST secure entry into the next phase of the Champions League, not only to secure finances, but also to get the money to buy in January and to ensure our best player, Stevie G, stays with us in the long term.

Now is the time for players to stand up and be counted. Neil Mellor and FSP simply MUST perform, they have no choice.

Mellor has shown thru two years solid work in the reserves he can fit the bill there, but it is now time to step upto the plate, to be counted and to grasp the chance he has worked so hard for over the last few years. Neil, this is your time.

Sinama, a slightly different kettle of fish. Now is the time for you to put your money where your mouth is, you have talked the talk, now it is time to start walking the walk. These threats of looking elsewhere if not selceted, well now you need to prove you shopuld be up for selection. This is your chance, take it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:18 pm

I'm not that worried about Mellor as I think he'll murder himself on the pitch putting in the effort and from that point of view, he won't let us down. However, I'm not convinced about his ability so I wouldn't expect too much.

Pongolle is different. He cost us £2.5million and he had an exceptional record at world youth level. Rick Parry boasted of him and Anthony Le Tallec being worth potentially £25million each in a few years. Thats major talk, and despite a few flashes of potential last season Pongolle hasn't shown anything special for us.

Regardless of who Benitez plays up front in the next month or so (and it will probably often feature Kewell and/or Garcia) both Mellor and Pongolle are going to get opportunities. If they don't take these opportunities they can't turn around and start complaining later on in their Liverpool careers about not getting a chance: their future is in their own hands now.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby SouthernScouser » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:41 pm

Nice one boys
Can't really add anymore
I agree about SFP - he has been quite outspoken recently - complaining about his lack of first team opportunites - and considering his options blah blah blah
well - I reckon you are both right
he will get chances now - so it's time for him to Shut Up & Step UP

Personally - as you've probably gathered by now - I think Mellor is up to it given the service
I'm hoping SFP will be to
LETS HOPE THEY BOTH ARE !!!
SouthernScouser

Postby Pig Catcher » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:55 pm

I agree with most of what has been said. Produce now or never.

The chance is going to be handed to you, and if your good enough you will be able to take that chance. At least we will get to know either way.
Pig Catcher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:32 pm

It's a golden opportunity for both of them to show whether they're worthy of the red shirt. Personally I think Pongo is the more likely to come out of this smelling of roses. I've never thought Mellor had the class to make it at LFC

Scratching beneath the surface a bit, this is also a massive test for Benitez. If Rafa can play his cards carefully and skillfuly over the coming weeks then he, too could come out of this looking like a managerial god. He's shown with Biscan, Traore, Finnan etc how he can get underperforming players to live up to their potential - let's hope he can pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat with mellor & Pongolle

Thankfully Stevie's return to the side should give us a lift which could balance out the negative of Baros & Cisse
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:56 pm

did anyone catch the pre-match news cofrence on ssn when a reporter ask how's milan baros and rafa replied "injuryed" :D
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion