PSV VS LIVERPOOL - C/L Quarter final

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Dundalk » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:58 am

It looks like one of there best players could be out of this one.

He knocked out the gunners and now he could be knocked out...

From Sky Sports

Liverpool's UEFA Champions League quarter-final opponents PSV Eindhoven have been dealt a huge blow with the news that Alex could miss the remainder of the season.

The influential defender, who scored the goal that saw off Arsenal in the competition's last-16, injured his hamstring in PSV's draw with Excelsior on Sunday.

A disappointing stalemate was compounded by the sight of Alex in obvious pain, with the player to undergo a scan on Monday.

PSV boss Ronald Koeman admits the early diagnosis does not look positive, willing to concede that it could be the end of the season for a player who has done as much as any in the club's promising campaign thus far.

"At the moment that he wanted to kick the ball, he felt something tear," said Koeman.

"We have to wait, but we think that there is a crack.

"If that's the case, then we may be happy if he plays another game this season."
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby peterc1992 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:20 am

I reall think we can do this although last year we came up againt Benfica and they knocked us out,its the same coach and were going in as favourites again.Hes a good coach and he'll find a way through us and it wont be easy.
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Years Of Decay » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:41 am

peterc1992 wrote:I reall think we can do this although last year we came up againt Benfica and they knocked us out,its the same coach and were going in as favourites again.Hes a good coach and he'll find a way through us and it wont be easy.

Mr state the obvious
Image Image
5 TIMES IN ISTANBUL
*6 Times In Athens*
Years Of Decay

Postby peterc1992 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:02 am

Years Of Decay wrote:
peterc1992 wrote:I reall think we can do this although last year we came up againt Benfica and they knocked us out,its the same coach and were going in as favourites again.Hes a good coach and he'll find a way through us and it wont be easy.

Mr state the obvious

Well im entitled to my opinion
emlyn hughes:"liverpool are magic,everton are tragic"
peterc1992
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:22 pm

just ignore the WUM... i too don't think it'll be as easy as some people think- although it could have been a lot worse.

Having Alex out can't be a bad thing although considering no-one seems to know who owns him maybe it's the right thing. Chelsea claim that they only have option to buy him and that PSV own his contract-although both the player and PSV themselves have stated that Chelsea own him and he's simply on loan- with such confusion you can only guess that something dodgy is going on!! Good job chelsea didn't draw PSV or that could have caused a situation!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby tithead » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:30 pm

1-0 to PSV at home.

2-0 Liverpool at Anfield.

Yous will meet Chelsea in the semi's.
tithead

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:52 pm

tithead wrote:1-0 to PSV at home.

Why does your username make so much sense??  :D
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC_fan » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:57 pm

I dont want to sound too overconfident, but i dont think we will lose at the philips stadium. I'll be satisfied with a scoring draw and very happy with any kind of win. Going for another win and a clean sheet at anfield.

Really hope to meet valencia in the semis though. it ought to be a cracker.
LFC_fan

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:01 pm

I hope your wrong about the first leg result becuse if they are leadin 1-0 that would make things really difficult, thats the score we were down against Benfica last season and the same Arsenal lost this season against PSV.

I believe we will score in eindhoven.

I am not convinced Chelsea will beat Valencia, although they are obvious favourites.
Any more injuries to Terry would ruin there season, the defence is so shaky without him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:14 pm

Alex is a massive blow for them.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby tithead » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:18 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:

I hope your wrong about the first leg result becuse if they are leadin 1-0 that would make things really difficult, thats the score we were down against Benfica last season and the same Arsenal lost this season against PSV.

I believe we will score in eindhoven.

I am not convinced Chelsea will beat Valencia, although they are obvious favourites.
Any more injuries to Terry would ruin there season, the defence is so shaky without him.

Valencia face a lot of suspensions in their team due to the brawl with Inter. If Valencia do have a full team I would expect it to be a tight match to call.
tithead

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:42 pm

tithead wrote:Valencia face a lot of suspensions in their team due to the brawl with Inter. If Valencia do have a full team I would expect it to be a tight match to call.

Which players are likely to be suspended, only that Navarro was mentioned in what i have read so far, and he is not a major player is he ?
Provided the likes of Marchena, Arbelda Silva and Villa are not suspended then i think they will cause Chelsea alot of problems.
And dont forget about Nando  :D

It was his goals for Monaco 3 years ago that knocked them out when they were massive favourites.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:49 pm

valencia play better football than chavski ,but can anyone stop drogba is the question

i think we will out play psv but taking chances will decide if we go to the next round as arsenal found out, it is not always the best team that goes through
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby hello_red » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:52 pm

well i feel if we go at them with all guns blazing we should score in the first 30 mins. then after that use the one goal advantage to try and control the game the lfc way and hopefully get another goal so we are comfortable at Anfiled! i feel we will play them off the park but we do need to take our chances

we are favorites yes, but we should still try and control like we would against chelsea and man u.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:07 pm

hello_red wrote:well i feel if we go at them with all guns blazing we should score in the first 30 mins. then after that use the one goal advantage to try and control the game the lfc way and hopefully get another goal so we are comfortable at Anfiled! i feel we will play them off the park but we do need to take our chances

we are favorites yes, but we should still try and control like we would against chelsea and man u.

Controlling the game appears to be Rafa's priority in every game, thats why he selects players that work hard in regaining posession when we dont have the ball, and also we he constantly talks about pace, which ensures the opposition back 4 have to drop deep to try and prevent the ball in behind and gives us posession in dangerous areas.
Thats the same reason as why our back four play further up the pitch now and he has Reina mopping up, again keeping the ball in the opposition territory.
Its taken a bit of time for this to come into fruition but recent games against United and Barca show that we are starting to totally dominate teams.

Cast your mind back to rafa's valencia when we played them, they totally dominated us and it was a lesson not only in passing but also in posession and retaining the ball quickly.

A bit off topic, but we should have the players to dominate PSV in both legs, it is all about taking chances when they arrive though.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion