PSV VS LIVERPOOL - C/L Quarter final

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:39 pm

well thats it 0-3 , our work rate was great tonight.
Aurelio has a ruptured achilies, he will be out for the rest of the year, lucky he is not on the NHS as it took 2 years to sort mine out. as soon as he looked back to see what had hit him i knew it was his achilie, mine had been tight for a week and when i was driving a car pulled out in front of me and i slamed on, at first i was sure somthing had hit my foot from under the seat but no my achilies ruptured.
good luck mate i know what pain you are in, plus the fact it looks like you will now miss the CL final and that will hurt more.
Last edited by lakes10 on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:39 pm

:cool:  :buttrock  :D  :) Well in redmen  :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:40 pm

Excellent result and the semi's look assured now. God team performance all round and well done to Kuyt for getting that last minute booking to get the suspension out the way! :p
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:48 pm

REDS ROUT POOR PSV IN EINDHOVEN
By Tom Adams -  Created on 3 Apr 2007

Liverpool all but guaranteed their place in the UEFA Champions League semi-finals with a superb 3-0 win over PSV Eindhoven in Holland.

Captain Steven Gerrard again proved to be the catalyst for The Reds as he became the club's all-time leading scorer in the European Cup with 15 goals, surpassing Ian Rush's record with a fine header in this quarter-final, first leg tie.

Both John Arne Riise and Peter Crouch joined their skipper on the scoresheet after the break as Rafa Benitez's side dominated possession and dictated the course of the tie throughout the 90 minutes at Philips Stadion.

PSV coach Ronald Koeman had been hailed as a tormentor of English' sides - having been the only other manager along with Jose Mourinho to beat Arsenal, Manchester United and Liverpool in the past 18 months - but his side showed little endeavour in a stale performance in Eindhoven.

On this evidence, the Dutch club scoring four goals at Anfield to win the tie seems as likely as Steve McClaren receiving a knighthood.

Mika Vayrynen threatened early on for PSV as he fired a shot over the bar after a one-two with Jefferson Farfan, but Liverpool were largely untroubled in a comfortable opening for the English side.

On 16 minutes The Reds had their first sight at goal when Riise - deployed in front of Fabio Aurelio on the left wing - saw a volley deflected wide, and from the resultant corner Liverpool almost took the lead.

Gerrard's set-piece was met by a strong header from Jamie Carragher - setting a record for the most European Cup appearances for the club - but PSV keeper Heurelho Gomes was equal to the task and produced a fine diving stop.

Peter Crouch, hat-trick hero from Saturday's win over Arsenal, also sent a shot over the bar whilst PSV saw left-back Carlos Salcido fail to trouble Reina from range.

Benitez's men were almost undone when Vayryen's shot from a cross from former Red Jan Kromkamp was inadvertently deflected over the bar by Carragher - with Philip Cocu heading just wide from the corner - but just four minutes later Gerrard claimed an important away goal.

Dirk Kuyt was forced to duck out of the way as the skipper came charging into the box to meet Steve Finnan's cross, and Gomes could not repeat his earlier heroics as Gerrard powered a header past the keeper and into the left-hand side of the goal.

The goal could have drawn PSV out of their defensive shell, but the game remained a tight affair and Liverpool entered half-time with a one-goal lead that their efforts had merited.

PSV's hopes of finding an equaliser suffered a blow when Farfan failed to reappear after the break, with Chinese international Xiang Sun taking his place, and Liverpool retained the momentum as Xabi Alonso threatened twice in the first two minutes of the half.

The sense that the tie was very much there for the taking was given further credence when Liverpool claimed their second after a poor clearance from under-pressure defender Timmy Simons.

Riise was lurking on the edge of the box and needed no second invitation to chest the ball down and unleash a trademark thunderous drive that flew past the despairing Gomes to give Liverpool a formidable advantage in Holland.

The Norwegian international could have had another when Gomes only just managed to recover after dropping a routine cross, whilst the ever-inventive Alonso tried his luck from substantially further out as his floating 45 yard effort drifted wide.

In what was rapidly becoming a rather facile outing for Liverpool, Crouch added a telling third when he rose highest to meet Finnan's cross and placed a fine header past Gomes, who was now past despairing and into the realms of distraught.

Koeman's side had a brief flicker of hope when Reina's fingertips diverted a cross into the path of Salcido, but the Mexican's rushed shot flew well wide in a moment that epitomised PSV's poor performance.

Liverpool's almost perfect night suffered a blow when Fabio Aurelio had to be stretchered off due to injury, with Mark Gonzalez taking his place, and Crouch also earned a rapturous reception when Jermaine Pennant was afforded a run-out.

Chilean winger Gonzalez aimed two long-range efforts at goal as Liverpool played out the final ten minutes with ease, although substitute Csaba Feher did call Reina into action at his near post.

In injury time, Kuyt also picked up a yellow card which rules him out of what should be a routine second leg at Anfield.

After three games against PSV this season Liverpool are yet to lose, and unless that trend is reversed in emphatic fashion in two weeks, the men from Merseyside could now be on track for a semi-final meeting with Premiership rivals Chelsea.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:50 pm

lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:51 pm

lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:52 pm

lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:55 pm

great result tonight and unless we have a disaster of istanbul proportions then we should be in the semi`s.

lets just hope for the sake of football we get valencia
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby Woollyback » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 pm

happy days, thought it was a very strong team performance all round. i really thought psv would've given us a harder time. bring on the semi's :buttrock

only downside is aurelio's injury :(
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Novo » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:03 pm

A great victory.
A good control of the ball,Mascherano was important,Crouch and Kuyt very good and offcourse,Gerrard.
Novo

Postby zarababe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Fantastic result Reds are on the march - and don't you just lurve Benitez on his feet , passionate, egging them on lurve this man !

- Bayern Munchen scored a let qualiser against Meelan :D funny seeing thos Meelan players, brings sweet memories of a certain night in May

:D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Aurelios injury is dreadful Snapped achilles cant ever see him playing for us again now. Just when he was starting to look good.

Get well soon lad.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:06 pm

really dissapointed about aurelio.

but was very happy we won.. we outplayed them and deserved to win 3-0. but the tie is not yet from over! anything is possible in football, psv can comeback.. but i hope they dont and i dont think they will.

MOTM is Finann, wonderful assists! Yes sabre.. i think your right that finnan does quite go forward alot  :D

Now lets put the icing on the cake at anfield
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Ciggy wrote:Aurelios injury is dreadful Snapped achilles cant ever see him playing for us again now. Just when he was starting to look good.

Get well soon lad.

:O I hear it could be career threatening is that right?
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Great performance by our lads tonight aided and abetted by a poor PSV side that hardly looked like a side playing at home. Maybe they though they could "do a Benfica" snatch a goal at home and then play on the break at Anfield. A great goal from our Captain put paid to any thoughts of that.

A great result and 3 crackin goals surely means we are in the semis (touch wood).
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion