PSV EINDHOVEN VS LIVERPOOL - Time to buck up lads

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby taff » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:33 am

Point away from home in Europe. Take that especially with a draw in the other group game.  Good solid performance.  Thought Pennant drifted in the second half and too many incidents of giving the ball away by the midfield.  Kuyt and Bellamy however look promising.

As for SG and Alonso not starting, we got the point and they had a bit of a rest which is needed so good shout by Rafa.

This Agger looks good and Carragher is a general like Hypia.  Could be the future partnership might get a few more runs than we thought this season
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:47 am

Pedro O'Maradona wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Pedro O'Maradona wrote:a lot of improvement needed....they arent gelling as a team.....defensively tho it was a big improvement, very impressed with Agger in particular....he gets better by the game and looks very confident, midfield not good at all, zenden was a passenger and pennant was v poor, aurelio was shocking, his corners were awful...a junior level footballer would have done better...up front Kuyt and Bellamy did well and look promising....sort out the midfield and things will get better. A xabi alonso playing well again is badly needed, and Stevie Gs role needs to be sorted This right midfield/centre midfield thing (In a way Rafa is spoiled for choice with Momo, Xabi and Stevie vying for two positions.....I dont buy into resting Stevie in a European game ..if he gets tired then take him off) Roll on Chelsea and the team Rafa decides to pick

Well the emergence of Agger could benefit us more than we suspect.

The "Gerrard problem" you refer to could be solved by playing the following 3-5-2 formation:

Reina

JC                 Sami              Agger

Alonso                Sissoko

Pennant                            Gerrard                       Gonzalez

Crouch           Kuyt.

Defensively, Alonso and Sissoko can easily switch to the flanks to play as wing-backs, with Stevie dropping back as a central defensive midfielder, essentially giving us 2 banks of 3. Drop Pennant and Gonzalez back aswell, and we have a 5-3-2 formation, which allows for a quick break on the counter.

Finnan is obviously the fall-guy, and I can't really justify dropping him, so he could play instead of Pennant, giving more solidity to the righthand side.

Either way - it's a heck of a team.

Roy Evans would be very proud!  :laugh:
pennant and gonzo as wingbacks? hmmm maybe finnan and aurelio tho

No mate - Alonso and SIssoko could spread from the centre and adopt wingback positions, while STevie drops back into a defensive midfield position, thus:

Reina

JC           SAmi         Agger

Alonso                            Gerrard                        Sissoko

Pennant                                                              Gonzalez
                           Crouch               Kuyt.

Obviously only when defending.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:05 am

WAHAYY we are back.Ive been trying to get on for about 7 hours,well anyway about 4 or 5 am this morning,or is it just me with these problems.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:11 am

Sorry for spoiling this topic last night. I want to appoligise to the people I upset, Oasis apart.
Last edited by Ciggy on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:14 am

onizukaeikichi wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
onizukaeikichi wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
onizukaeikichi wrote:ciggy whats with you about my name B-itch? Sort out your own name first, what the hell is Ciggy anyway?  ???

Yes you maybe right I am a bitch, but FFS sort yer name out its embarrisn ecspecially when you dont even know what a ciggy is.
Knob

whats ciggy?

MILF  :D

It means cigarette    :D
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:26 am

I thought I had been banned
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:31 am

s@int wrote:I thought I had been banned

Same  :kungfu:
66-1112520797

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:32 pm

I though my IT manager had turned into a Blue and got all bitter at me. Couldn't work out why I couldn't get on
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 82-1074641017 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:21 pm

Bit of a scrappy game, Gerrard was unlucky not to win it for us.
We didnt play to the best of our abilities but at point away at PSV isnt a bad result especially since our confidence was knocked at the weekend.
Rafa raised a few eyes with his tactics and selections at the start of the game but It proved to have worked this time.
82-1074641017

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:02 pm

All I've about today is the supposed implications of Gerrard being left out last night. I'm sick of it already. It wa bad enough having to listen to Andy Townsend and Robbie Earle banging on about the "politics" behind the decision all throughout the programme.

Robbie f#cking Earle. The thinking man's Kenny Lynch. ???
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Pedro O'Maradona » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:15 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Pedro O'Maradona wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:
Pedro O'Maradona wrote:a lot of improvement needed....they arent gelling as a team.....defensively tho it was a big improvement, very impressed with Agger in particular....he gets better by the game and looks very confident, midfield not good at all, zenden was a passenger and pennant was v poor, aurelio was shocking, his corners were awful...a junior level footballer would have done better...up front Kuyt and Bellamy did well and look promising....sort out the midfield and things will get better. A xabi alonso playing well again is badly needed, and Stevie Gs role needs to be sorted This right midfield/centre midfield thing (In a way Rafa is spoiled for choice with Momo, Xabi and Stevie vying for two positions.....I dont buy into resting Stevie in a European game ..if he gets tired then take him off) Roll on Chelsea and the team Rafa decides to pick

Well the emergence of Agger could benefit us more than we suspect.

The "Gerrard problem" you refer to could be solved by playing the following 3-5-2 formation:

Reina

JC                 Sami              Agger

Alonso                Sissoko

Pennant                            Gerrard                       Gonzalez

Crouch           Kuyt.

Defensively, Alonso and Sissoko can easily switch to the flanks to play as wing-backs, with Stevie dropping back as a central defensive midfielder, essentially giving us 2 banks of 3. Drop Pennant and Gonzalez back aswell, and we have a 5-3-2 formation, which allows for a quick break on the counter.

Finnan is obviously the fall-guy, and I can't really justify dropping him, so he could play instead of Pennant, giving more solidity to the righthand side.

Either way - it's a heck of a team.

Roy Evans would be very proud!  :laugh:
pennant and gonzo as wingbacks? hmmm maybe finnan and aurelio tho

No mate - Alonso and SIssoko could spread from the centre and adopt wingback positions, while STevie drops back into a defensive midfield position, thus:

Reina

JC           SAmi         Agger

Alonso                            Gerrard                        Sissoko

Pennant                                                              Gonzalez
                           Crouch               Kuyt.

Obviously only when defending.

i bet u play championship manager! :D
Pedro O'Maradona

Postby Feyenoorder » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:53 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:
Feyenoorder wrote:Hmm StMichael, you're right about Hiddink but I don't think Benitez is on the same level when it comes to tactics.

Are you p*ssed?  ???

Maybe I was Lando but after last nights match I'm all sobered up... What a boring game, psv couldn't play any better and Liverpool did not really want to play ball thanks to Benitez who instructed that at least 8 or 9 players kept playing "behind the ball".  I heard Kuyt this morning on Dutch radio and he said that Liverpool succeeded in their mission (knowing that Cocu wasn't going to play) to prevent psv playing a faster game and taking out the supposed danger from Kone and Farfan.

In my opinion Liverpool should have slaughtered psv. The midfield was up for grabs (psv played with little kids like Afellay and Aisattie...) and instead of running backwards all the time they should have moved forward keeping pressure on the defense of psv and support Bellamy and Kuyt in a better way.

The way Liverpool played reminded me of the good old Italian "catenaccio" and that was totally unnecessary against a weakened opponent. Also, a good beating could have helped my club Feyenoord who are playing against psv next sunday...    :D

So far for the supposed tactical genius of Benitez, I hope for you guys he'll do a lot better next match...
Feyenoorder

Postby CousinIT » Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:28 pm

The only thing we did in Holland was we made a slight improvement from the Everton game. We still didn't create enough chances. We gifted them a few and there wasn't any passion.

Man of the match was undoubtedly Daniel Agger. People are comparing him to Jocky well that's just showing how good he will be.
You'll Never Walk Alone

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
7 FA Cups
7 League Cups
CousinIT

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:28 pm

Given our recent defensive gaffs the clean sheet yesterday was brilliant.  The match wasn't always pretty--especially in the 2nd half--but it was a well-deserved point, which I'm happy with at this stage of the proceedings.

The positives for me were the Kuyt and Bellamy partnership up front and the Carragher and Agger partnership at the back.  Both look like the future of the club down the road, with the caveat that Rafa will continue to rotate the squad as he sees fit (and, as you know, I'm fine with that).

Kuyt's running was especially impressive.  He was every where in the first half and looked dangerous every time he had the ball.  I hope he gets the goal he so clearly deserves soon, though!

I thought Pennant had a lively first half but came inside far too much in the second, clogging things up.  Aurelio demonstrated to me that he really is a LB rather than a LM.  His lack of pace was a concern on occasion although he did play some nice balls into Kuyt in the first half.

I recognize the logic of starting Zenden in Holland but, as others have said, he offers very little to the team and should be on the bench whenever two of our big three are available.  Sissoko seemed a bit hampered with him as a midfield partner and gave a few balls away too cheaply.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mannyk » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:33 am

Good to get a point away. And the other result was 0 - 0 as well so we can't be too unhappy. I think we had our chances to win it but they could have got a bull sh it goal as well.

Just going to have a little whinge and say I hope the team can geton a roll very soon because the more games we drop points or don't pickup wins means we are going to be chasing for the rest of the year.

The team is lacking something . I just can't quite work it out.
Hope the team gets on a roll and picks up three points against Chelsea because that would begreat for team confidence.

WTF did happen last night . Thought thay banned the site or something

:)
Mannyk

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion