Proven premiership players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Owzat wrote:
Scottbot wrote:He hast tried to buy domestic and it hasn't really come off although I still maintain that Crouch has been a success

He has not been a complete success so you're trying to pass him off as that even though if you lower the standard that much then hardly anyone we've signed can be deemed a non success.

He's at best been ok for what we paid for him, and I will state at this point what he's done for England is irrelevant in respect of LIVERPOOL. Don't need to quote you the stats, you know they conflict with your view yet you hold your view regardless. I could therefore say Voronin has been a success, ignore stats and throw in "lack of opportunity" and you're there

Not trying to pass him off as anything mate, just expressing my opinion of the player. Am not sure why you feel such a strong urge to go off like a lawyer in a court room every time someone says thay like the player.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Don't understand why people are suggesting that Rafa's interest in Barry/Keane means he is 'changing direction', 'seeing the light', 'concentrating more on the league' or anything of the sort.

Two summers ago people were saying exactly the same things when he signed Bellamy and Pennant.  They were both regarded at the time as good proven Premiership players, but since then Rafa reverted to shopping abroad.

Benitez, like any other manager is an opportunist in the transfer market.  Two years ago we signed Bellamy not least because he had a 6 mil release clause (and later sold at a profit) and we were able to get Pennant because Brum were relegated.  This summer I think Rafa has heard Spurs want Crouch and thinks he can use him to get a very good player in Keane.  He also obviously rates Barry and after sounding him out knew Barry was interested in coming.  Rafa thinks he can bring him in to replace Alonso who he can sell for roughly the same price (whether you agree with that move or not).

In my opinion Benitez is doing what he does every summer, looking for players he'd like who are available for what he sees as a reasonable price.  I also don't buy that the 6+5 rule is influencing his targets - no other Premiership manager seems to have been influenced by that this summer judging by their signings and I doubt Rafa is either.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:00 pm

I hope he has a more structured approach as opposed to being a simple opportunist.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:13 pm

john craig wrote:Don't understand why people are suggesting that Rafa's interest in Barry/Keane means he is 'changing direction', 'seeing the light', 'concentrating more on the league' or anything of the sort.

Two summers ago people were saying exactly the same things when he signed Bellamy and Pennant.  They were both regarded at the time as good proven Premiership players, but since then Rafa reverted to shopping abroad.

Benitez, like any other manager is an opportunist in the transfer market.  Two years ago we signed Bellamy not least because he had a 6 mil release clause (and later sold at a profit) and we were able to get Pennant because Brum were relegated.  This summer I think Rafa has heard Spurs want Crouch and thinks he can use him to get a very good player in Keane.  He also obviously rates Barry and after sounding him out knew Barry was interested in coming.  Rafa thinks he can bring him in to replace Alonso who he can sell for roughly the same price (whether you agree with that move or not).

In my opinion Benitez is doing what he does every summer, looking for players he'd like who are available for what he sees as a reasonable price.  I also don't buy that the 6+5 rule is influencing his targets - no other Premiership manager seems to have been influenced by that this summer judging by their signings and I doubt Rafa is either.

While I agree on the "6-5" thing John, I do think if these two signings come off they are a further conformation of the "seeing of the light".

The reasons are thus. Both players are relatively for us, going to be hugely expensive. It is possible given rafa's past but unlikely I think that these are "options" and "possibility" players. These are nailed down first teamers, part of those eight or nine names you pencil in if fit. I don't obviously think they will play in every single match (and I know you know that as well John) but I do think if we bought them they would be Gerrard/Masherano/Reina/Torres/Carragher/Agger possibly even Kuyt unless he signs a right sider type of players. Now when you look at the list of definates and in all probablility put in Dossena (assuming he's any good which I'm hopeful he will be), Arbeloa (assuming Degan isn't any good which I'm fairly certain he won't be) into the equation, then you almost have an eleven sorted once you put Barry and Keane into the picture.

These two lads aren't going to come to Liverpool at 27 years of age in order to break into the first team, or try and cement a place in the eleven. They are coming if they do for big money, on big wages along with an assurance that they will start the season in the first eleven.

He has seen the light John. He has seen the evidence of our end to the season with his own eyes, he's seen Chelsea not rotate and run all over us in extra time, he's seen Man Utd almost throw it all away by over rotating.

The evidence that mass rotation, names in ahat, selectorial merry go rounds are not the way to go are all around him. This season we will challenge with a much more settled team I'm convinced of it.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jedi56 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:19 pm

my fear is that nobody cared that much about barry when he is playing for villa,so he can go unnoticed and pop up with goals,but the moment he plays for us there will be a strategy to stop him.how will he cope with this new found close attention,will he pine for the days where he was not noticed.the same for keane he will be under much more pressure and have a far bigger status.
jedi56

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:39 pm

i see crespo's available on a free this summer. i'd take him on a short term deal.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Almighty Red » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:04 pm

stmichael wrote:i see crespo's available on a free this summer. i'd take him on a short term deal.

Hmm... he never exactly made it with the Chavs (was it 4 years on loan out of 5?) and his wages would be huge. But I guess a short term deal could work out...
Then again, I'm pretty sure he'd rather go back to Inter to work with Mourinho...
Almighty Red

Postby Avi Cohen » Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:37 pm

Not too sure about Robbie Keane, lads. As an Irishman I've been keeping an eye on him.

He's Ireland's record goalscorer, which is nice, but if you look at the teams he's been scoring against - Faroe Islands, Andorra, Georgia, Albania, Canada (a lot have been in friendlies too it must be noted) etc - the gloss is gone.

I made my mind up about him when we played Wales last year. In a 4-5-1 formation, he was our lone striker and watched in disbelief as he trotted over to take the odd throw-in. He also has a penchant for the spectacular when simplicity is needed: can't remember who it was against but we were 1-0 down in injury time and Robbie tries an overhead bicycle kick when a simple header would have done.

He had a  great season last year, but I don't think he's got a football brain. Time will tell.
AND HERE COMES AVI COHEN!! OH I SAY - AT THE SAME END HE'S GOT ONE BACK!!!!!!!!!!
Avi Cohen

Postby Torres25 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:36 pm

Robbie Keane has been 1 of the most consistent goalscorers over the last 3 years in the premiership hes a brillaint player, personally i wouldnt go 4 him as i think 2 20 mill+ wingers should be are priority, & we have plenty of cover 4 torres in babel, nemeth & kuyt & i cant see him taking gerrards position behind torres, but thiers no doubting the lads a class act

you think maybe his record at international level at only scoring against the lower teams maybe has something 2 do with the fact that he gets fewer opportunities against the big teams...what with his team mostly having 2 defend
Torres25

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:39 pm

nemeths off to leeds isnt he? so ive heard anyways. and rafa is never gonna play babel as a second striker. i think a striker is a big priotity for us with the winger needed
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:21 am

dawson99 wrote:nemeths off to leeds isnt he?

What a season loan? Do him good if its the case, maybe with an option to bring him back in Jan if he does well.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:23 am

Almighty Red wrote:
stmichael wrote:i see crespo's available on a free this summer. i'd take him on a short term deal.

Hmm... he never exactly made it with the Chavs (was it 4 years on loan out of 5?) and his wages would be huge. But I guess a short term deal could work out...
Then again, I'm pretty sure he'd rather go back to Inter to work with Mourinho...

He could not cut it when he was younger and had that pace , i doubt he can cut it now that he's older , and you probably right he'd go back and work with mourinho
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:28 am

Rush Job wrote:
dawson99 wrote:nemeths off to leeds isnt he?

What a season loan? Do him good if its the case, maybe with an option to bring him back in Jan if he does well.

I thought we'd be seeing much more of the lad this season , he's a very promising youngster , but a season on loan to  leeds will do him well , will give  him regular football in a league instead of playing in the reserves . I think a season long loan would be better as rafa would be able to see how he copes over a season .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:10 am

Toffeehater wrote:
Almighty Red wrote:

He could not cut it when he was younger and had that pace , i doubt he can cut it now that he's older , and you probably right he'd go back and work with mourinho

I don't think for one minute that we'd go for him and there's probably even less chance that he'd come, but I think Crespo was and probably is a fantastic striker. He didn't really cut it at Chelsea largely because Mourinho favoured drogba (which was fair enough). When he played though, he scored.

One of the best strikers in World football over the last ten years IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:11 pm

bigmick wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
Almighty Red wrote:

I don't think for one minute that we'd go for him and there's probably even less chance that he'd come, but I think Crespo was and probably is a fantastic striker. He didn't really cut it at Chelsea largely because Mourinho favoured drogba (which was fair enough). When he played though, he scored.

One of the best strikers in World football over the last ten years IMHO.

He didn't really set the world alight when he played and to be fair he was given a decent run in the side and he did not take his chances and also i think he came in the ranieiri season so he had 1 year's experience over drogba if he did .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion