Proven premiership players

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:38 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:Gareth Barry, Robbie Keane - 30+ Premier League goals last season between them.

Is this a "concentration on the league" that so many crave or are we skint ?

That's reading a bit too much into i think although it's fair to say we're pretty skint compared to last summer. It's nothing new us going for English/British or English based players after they have had thier best season. Crouch, Pennant and Bellamy all fit this bill as does Zenden. Problem is we're gonna end up paying through the nose. Unfortunately Rafa doesn't seem to spot (or want a piece of) their potential UNTIL they have a cracking season for their respective sides hence we end up paying over the odds. Barry would have been an EXCELLENT (and considerably cheaper) signing in any of the previous three summers. I would have been delighted to see him sign for the club but now we're paying big money when it could have been £5-6 million. Same goes for Keane, quality player, has been for years, could have bought him instead of Bellamy but now he's tied into a long-term deal and Spurs are talking silly money for the player.

Saying that, i'm chuffed we are going after Keane but I reckon this one might run right up till deadline day.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:49 am

Unfortunately Rafa doesn't seem to spot (or want a piece of) their potential UNTIL they have a cracking season for their respective sides hence we end up paying over the odds.

That or our scouting system is really that bad.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:01 am

Owzat wrote:How many of Barny's 15 goals were penalties? Gerrard takes ours and since they can't both take all the penalties you can knock off a fair few of those

He would be handy for shoot-outs, not that we take part in that many

yeah but put him a team like ours he will fly he will be awesome : D
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:14 am

can hardly say we are 'skint' if we are bidding 17 million for barry and 20million for keane guys
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:23 am

dawson99 wrote:can hardly say we are 'skint' if we are bidding 17 million for barry and 20million for keane guys

But Barry will end up working out as pretty much a straight swap and we will NEVER pay that sort of money for Keane mate.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:29 am

even so, lets stop making out we are poor, even if we are using players to sign players, the capital is the same and thats around 30million for 2 players, so we're hardly paupers

i think rafa is buying the players for the premiership, and about time!
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:27 am

dawson99 wrote:i think rafa is buying the players for the premiership, and about time!

He's always done that mate, like i said before - Crouch, Pennant, Bellamy, Zenden were all bought to the club because of their proven pedigree playing in the epl.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:47 am

Scottbot wrote:
dawson99 wrote:i think rafa is buying the players for the premiership, and about time!

He's always done that mate, like i said before - Crouch, Pennant, Bellamy, Zenden were all bought to the club because of their proven pedigree playing in the epl.

And yet the proven successes are either scouse or foreign imports. The only real success story bought from another Premiership club (by Rafa) is Mascherano and he didn't really ever belong to Wet Sham
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Owzat wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

And yet the proven successes are either scouse or foreign imports. The only real success story bought from another Premiership club (by Rafa) is Mascherano and he didn't really ever belong to Wet Sham

I know mate, that's the worrying part isn't it? He hast tried to buy domestic and it hasn't really come off although I still maintain that Crouch has been a success (no more stats please!). Still, Barry and Keane will do for me if we can get them although you can guarantee both deals will drag on to the last minute.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:16 pm

Ive a feeling we may well get Keane, you can tell the clubs are talking because spurs instead of saying their captain isnt for sale have this past two days only issued "no comment" to the press and this to me is quite telling, i dont think the clubs would be talking if Ramos was doing an O'neal ( 2Om or nothing ), i dare say theres a bit of leeway and possibily a LFC player or two involved. I dont think this will drag on, i think we will find out one way or the other in the next week or so.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:20 am

Scottbot wrote:He hast tried to buy domestic and it hasn't really come off although I still maintain that Crouch has been a success

He has not been a complete success so you're trying to pass him off as that even though if you lower the standard that much then hardly anyone we've signed can be deemed a non success.

He's at best been ok for what we paid for him, and I will state at this point what he's done for England is irrelevant in respect of LIVERPOOL. Don't need to quote you the stats, you know they conflict with your view yet you hold your view regardless. I could therefore say Voronin has been a success, ignore stats and throw in "lack of opportunity" and you're there
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:37 pm

Robbie keane and gareth barry are both proven premiership players , also the captains of their respective clubs and both want to join us . Rafa i think should have signed barry by the end of this week . As for keane , he's just a 2nd striker that we need , 10 million plus crouch should be enough if they value him at 20 million
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:37 pm

dawson99 wrote:even so, lets stop making out we are poor, even if we are using players to sign players, the capital is the same and thats around 30million for 2 players, so we're hardly paupers

i think rafa is buying the players for the premiership, and about time!

exactly
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:59 pm

can't see spurs letting keane go, especially with berbatov almost certain to go aswell. that's 50 goals you've got to replace.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Toffeehater » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:32 pm

they've got bent :D  and i think they are interested in crouch, so they might sell crouch and berbatov leaving rumor has cooled down a little , so he might be staying
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion