Progress Under Rafa - Analysis and Opinion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:15 pm

If the players need to look to Rafa for "desire , motivation and inspiration " while playing for liverpool at Anfield then they need to have a good luck at themselves - players should be motivtating themselves and showing desire themselves to win .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:25 pm

GYBS wrote:If the players need to look to Rafa for "desire , motivation and inspiration " while playing for liverpool at Anfield then they need to have a good luck at themselves - players should be motivtating themselves and showing desire themselves to win .

Mmmmmm

So you believe the manager plays no part in motivating and inspiring his players?

So maybe Rafa shouldnt buy players like that?

Or fuc.k them off if they dont show desire, motivation and inspiration?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

If you walking out to play for liverpool at anfield how much extra motivation do you need ? do you really think rafa sends the players out without motivating them ?
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:42 pm

stmichael wrote:The problem we’ve had this season is that Torres has been injured for most of it. I think him and Gerrard have started something like 8 games together in the league, and for half of those Torres has been working his way back to fitness.

Gerrard has scored 17 goals, Torres is second top scorer with 10 goals ahead of Kuyt with 9. Torres has played 27 games this season, maybe not fully fit, but fit enough to score 10 goals.

As for both starting together - interesting.

Torres & Gerrard Starting Together 07/08

Champions League : P5 W5 D0 L0 F11 A2 (Won 100%)
Goals : Gerrard 4, Torres 1

Cups : P2 W0 D1 L1 F1 A2 (Won 0.00%)
Goals : Gerrard 1 (Gerrard went off after 16 mins of the defeat, Torres was far from fit)

Premiership : P8 W5 D3 L0 F12 A5 PTS 18 (Won 62.50%)
Goals : Gerrard 2, Torres 7

07/08 : P15 W10 D4 L1 F24 A9 (Won 66.67%)
Goals : Gerrard 7, Torres 8

Eight of Torres' 10 goals have come when both started, the other two for Torres were as sub - one Gerrard started and laid on the goal for him (vs Preston), the other game Gerrard was unavailable (vs Portsmouth) Not a bad goal return for someone "working his way back to fitness"

Three of the four draws where both started came since the New Year, against the bitters (twice) and Wigan. Gerrard scored in the draws against the bitters, went off in the third which was the only defeat where both started together (this season)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:43 pm

GYBS wrote:If you walking out to play for liverpool at anfield how much extra motivation do you need ? do you really think rafa sends the players out without motivating them ?

You seem to be contradicting yourself
Does he motivate them or not?
Do they need motivating or not?
What do you mean by "extra motivation"?

I think because you are personalising the question you are missing the point

If I was walking out at Anfield I wouldnt need  motivating
But its not me were talking about
Is it?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:45 pm

Sir Roger wrote:What do you mean by "extra motivation"?

It's what England wicket-keepers need, didn't do Prior much good!  :laugh:
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:50 pm

Owzat wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:What do you mean by "extra motivation"?

It's what England wicket-keepers need, didn't do Prior much good!  :laugh:

Maybe Rafa gave the team talk (Prem version)?

:D
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:52 pm

I think Rafa encourages as opposed to motivate the players as i think players motivate themselves - or they should do . If they arent self motivated then they shouldnt be playing .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:23 pm

GYBS wrote:I think Rafa encourages as opposed to motivate the players as i think players motivate themselves - or they should do . If they arent self motivated then they shouldnt be playing .

encourage:

Synonyms: animate, applaud, boost, brighten, buck up*, buoy, cheer, cheer up, comfort, console, embolden, energize, enhearten, enliven, excite, exhilarate, fortify, galvanize, give shot in arm, gladden, goad, hearten, incite, inspire, inspirit, instigate, MOTIVATE, praise, prop up, psych up, push, rally, reassure, refresh, restore, revitalize, revivify, rouse, spur, steel, stir, strengthen, sway

So he does...?
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Didn't Stevie himself say that Rafa hardly spoke to him etc, does not sound like someone big into encouraging to me.

Tell me something though, do you work better if
a) Your boss tells you you've done a good job from time to time and gives you a pat on the back.
or
b) The boss hardly ever talks to you and takes you off key projects etc even though you delivered the last one on time and under budget.

which one works best for you?

You need to have intelligence to self-motivate and the majority of footballers are thick as pig doodoo. The best managers throughout history have been great man-mangers on top of being great tacticians. Rafa only has one of those abilities and that is why he will never win us the league imho.
Last edited by Bad Bob on Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:05 pm

If you read stevies book you will see the fact that rafa doesnt say well done is motivation for Stevie to keep doing better to get that "well done from rafa " - that helps motivate gerrard - carra allueds to the same thing in his book . He even suggests that too many footballers are molly coddled by managers and Rafa being like steal motivates the players to try and please him . Read Carras book and it will blow many theories out of the water about Rafa being a poor man manager as he carra himself states he is a good man manager in the way of trying to improve the player and the player responds to this .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Some people are far too eager to opt for the abuse option if the argument swings against them. There's been another good example here.

Of course it's the managers job to motivate, to inspire etc butequally I think the fact that occasionally we don't eithe rmotivated nor inspired is not necessarily al the managers fault. In fairness, it's not the managers job to motivate or inspire the fans, but sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. I personally think it's unrealistic to expect a fly out out of the blocks hyped up performance like the Madrid one against Bolton. It's not gonna happen on a Saturday afternoon in November, and that's not the managers fault I don't think.

What the good teams do, is find inspiration enough to win the game, perhaps for ten minutes. That's what we did against Middlesboro at Home (albeit a bit late) but Anfield was rocking when Gerrard got the winner in the dying seconds. That's what the Mancs do, they attack and attack again until the game is won, then they ease up. This IMHO is hwere our chief set up problem is. Too ofdten we approach the game with a "must not lose" mentality, rather than "an absolutely must win" one. This problem most definately IS one which is down to the manager, and is IMHO more important in our situation than "inspiration".

As I said though, absolutely no need for the abuse which is all too common around here these days.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:37 pm

bigmick wrote:Some people are far too eager to opt for the abuse option if the argument swings against them. There's been another good example here.

Of course it's the managers job to motivate, to inspire etc butequally I think the fact that occasionally we don't eithe rmotivated nor inspired is not necessarily al the managers fault. In fairness, it's not the managers job to motivate or inspire the fans, but sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't. I personally think it's unrealistic to expect a fly out out of the blocks hyped up performance like the Madrid one against Bolton. It's not gonna happen on a Saturday afternoon in November, and that's not the managers fault I don't think.

What the good teams do, is find inspiration enough to win the game, perhaps for ten minutes. That's what we did against Middlesboro at Home (albeit a bit late) but Anfield was rocking when Gerrard got the winner in the dying seconds. That's what the Mancs do, they attack and attack again until the game is won, then they ease up. This IMHO is hwere our chief set up problem is. Too ofdten we approach the game with a "must not lose" mentality, rather than "an absolutely must win" one. This problem most definately IS one which is down to the manager, and is IMHO more important in our situation than "inspiration".

As I said though, absolutely no need for the abuse which is all too common around here these days.

I agree

Some people are good man managers. Some are not. Some put the arm around players. Some ignore them.

I still feel that motivation is key to any team. Both to and from the players. You hit the nail on the head when you said:

Too often we approach the game with a "must not lose" mentality, rather than "an absolutely must win" one. This problem most definately IS one which is down to the manager, and is IMHO more important in our situation than "inspiration".

Except that I believe that a winning mentality actually inspires people to succeed. As was shown against Real.

I also agree about abuse. Whoevers doing it should stop now.
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:20 am

rafa's handling of keane (crouch) says it all...
oh and by the way, i didnt expect Carra and Gerrard to come out and say that Rafa is a kunt on their books either
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tonyeh » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:36 am

aCe' wrote:rafa's handling of keane (crouch) says it all...
oh and by the way, i didnt expect Carra and Gerrard to come out and say that Rafa is a kunt on their books either

You'll have to wait another 10 years for the revised editions for that.  :D
tonyeh

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion