Pro's and Cons of managers and players - sensible discussion please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Molby's bellybutton fluff » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:09 pm

As I said earlier, the job is going to be just as much about maximising the talent in the squad which is already there as it as about buying, particularly given our financial situation. Can Skyrtel for instance step up to be Aggers partner should Carra's lack of pace become a terminal problem? Can we get Insua (who is better than many people think) to raise his game now he's our only left back? Can Johnson really step up to the plate and justify his huge fee, could Lucas be a holding midfielder if left to do the job on his own? Will Riera snap out of his sulk (and don't tell me "feck him", like it or not we need him). Can we get something out of Aquilani, I'm not a fan but there's no point in selling him for 10 million and only getting 4 million to spend. Time for action Alberto lad so lets ee it. Can Dirk just keep going, he's about to become one of our most important players. Can Pacheco do it? no more bedding in, this is a huge season for him. And if we keep Torres, can he stay fit and will he be up for it if as seems likely we won't be realistic contenders next time?

This is the crux for me, getting the players to play somewhere near the maximum of their potential. Obviously i don't think it's happened enough in the past otherwise I'd still be campaigning to get Rafa back like some are, but whether you think it's happened before or not it needs to happen now, in spades. I'm backing Liverpool to bounce back this season, I'm strangely optimistic.
Molby's bellybutton fluff

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm

tonyeh wrote:Weren't Liverpool given permission to talk to Didier Deschamps the other day? Not too sure about that though.

MON still my top choice at the mo. I can see him doing well at Anfield to be honest, presuming the team stays relatively intact. That means Torres'n'Gerrard FC.

MON would turn us down as well
Benny The Noon

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:54 pm

When you sack a manager surely the main aim is to improve on that manager and to take a step forward - is Hodgson a step forward from the previous manager - for me thats a very big no , which points to us going into a consolidation period all depending on which players stay- Keep Torres and Gerrard and we may challenge for 4th spot but will be in the 5th 6th area - loose those players and we would be looking to challenge for a europa spot . It will stay that way IMO until we get new owners .
Benny The Noon

Postby dundreamin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm

First thing is to make sure we can keep our best players,because if we do we will do better than last season. In renia mash gerrard and torres we have got some of the best players in the world. This is our first priority imo
dundreamin
LFC Super Member

Location: skelmersdale. Land of the roundabouts and utter boredom

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 pm

A very admirable thread with much to be applauded ,however the term intelligent posters willing to discuss ...or for that matter enter into any form of football debate without raising any conflicting arguments is in itself a  contradiction in terms

Let me explain I have read through the posts and you all seem to do is  basically concur (It sort of defeats the object don't you think ??? ) implicitly with each others views ... but my point is the exclusiveness of the thread it kind of has a sinister clique feel to it
If I am not mistaken the advanced debate offers exactly what is being offered here  ???  but yet it yields no contempt and it also doesn't aid and abet the already ever growing chasm that is currently prevalent on this board

I liken this thread to myself composing one exclusively for Scouser's ... it would be instantly frowned upon and castigated ...and with good reason I might add  ??? as  it would only serve to stretch the divide   ??? plus there would only be about 5 of us :D
Needless to say it might also be viewed as a mite childish especially if I proffered beforehand the names allowed entry .... as for the exclusion of emotional posters would they be the same passionate supporters that have carried this great club for countless years and the very same supporters who have made this club so unique
Seriously have your thread ...it defines you and every poster that contributes ...........
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:02 pm

RBG, he mentions a few names and adds anyone else who can talk football. basically its a way of saying 'lets have a discussion not a fight'. if you don;t include yourself amongst those 'who can talk football' then its your own problem, mate :D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm part of no clique, RBG. :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:03 pm

Actually RBG, you will notice that the thread is titled "Scottbot, lfc2007, fluffy, ben patrick, john, Craig, angy g, sabre &  anyone else who..."

the anyone else is the part to notice. It's just about football, which everyone has been discussinng, except for yourself and kazza. And that is funny, as you two are the main culprits for starting arguaments in other threads as well (as all of us)

This is just somewhere for football talk, from all, a place to go and not be afraid of castigation... somewhere to discuss freely and openly without retribution and ridicule...

Of course some may find it childish to have a football thread on a football forum. (plus i love the little dig about only having 5 scousers on the forum, slyly and well done)

I think the names given were those who have stayed out of the turf war between anti and pro, but also invites all others to join in the debate
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 pm

zarababe wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
kazza wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:personally i would welcome a British manager. back to the roots, someone who is familiar with the system and it would be nice to see local lads step up.

Local lads?? You are an Indian living in Singapore, what local are we talking about?

???

And we're off again..  :no

Why don't you just feck off once and for all... I'm tired of the constant sh!t stirring, stalking and personal attacks that trails in the wake of your posts.

:laugh:  :D hilarious

made me giggle that   :D
fergieisawhiskeynosedtw@t

Postby tubby » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Now just 1 minute!!!!

Everyone needs to take a step back and get along. And Kazzaa you can :censored: off and all with that comment you made. Everyone has a right to an opinion no matter where they are located. Your out of order!
Last edited by tubby on Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:10 pm

bavlondon wrote:Now just 1 minute!!!!

Everyone needs to take a step back and get along. And Kazzaa you can :censored: off and all with that comment you made. Everyone has a right to an opinion no matter where they are located. Your out of order!

I really wish you would stop posting pictures of my girlfriend on this website.

:D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:35 pm

There's a big difference between selling off all of our best players, a lot of them, and just one or two. We can cope with losing Masch, and possibly Gerrard too so long as a fair percentage is reinvested. Wouldn't the owners/whoever you believe is pulling the strings first shift some of the deadwood to ease the debt problem? I'm sure Babel, Riera, Lucas, Ngog and Skrtel would command a decent amount between them, and selling them and keeping our best players would raise funds to settle part of the debt while ensuring we have a decent chance of making the top four next season - necessary to lure a buyer. Unless there truly is a mass exodus (I don't think there will be), we should at least be expecting to challenge for a top four spot and make a decent fist of it in the cups next season. There's absolutely no way with a squad like that we should be mixing it with Fulham and Birmingham or whoever else is happens to be hovering outside the top six, no fecking way.
LFC2007

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:19 am

I agree with you mate....

Let's look at the potential squad should we lose our 3 big guns.

Reina
Johnson   Carra/Skrtel   Agger/Skrtel   Insua/Agger
                        ?? ?     Lucas
Kuyt/Maxi             Aquilani             Reira
                     Kuyt/Ngog/Nemeth?

Looking at it, we'd be short of 1 holding midifielder and cover just about all over the place.
We'll need cover for Aquilani, Johnson, another centre back, another left/right midfielder.

The question is whether we can get the required coverage for a limited budget that I believe will be available to the new manager.... will be tough methinks....

But the base squad should be good enough to challenge for the same league position that we obtained last year..... and I think Roy can probably extract the best out of these current crop of players.
ConnO'var

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:23 am

ConnO'var wrote:But the base squad should be good enough to challenge for the same league position that we obtained last year..... and I think Roy can probably extract the best out of these current crop of players.

agreed, that's the reason why i feel he would be a good choice as he has worked with non-household names most of his career but that does not stop them from performing well as a unit.

especially since we're apparently broke, careful spending is needed. a manager who knows his way in the transfer market and getting the best of what we currently have. would be nice if that manager has the man-management skills of someone like Kevin Keegan too. he's always so inspirational and could give the players a motivational lift.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:40 am

ConnO'var wrote:I agree with you mate....

Let's look at the potential squad should we lose our 3 big guns.

Reina
Johnson   Carra/Skrtel   Agger/Skrtel   Insua/Agger
                        ?? ?     Lucas
Kuyt/Maxi             Aquilani             Reira
                     Kuyt/Ngog/Nemeth?

Looking at it, we'd be short of 1 holding midifielder and cover just about all over the place.
We'll need cover for Aquilani, Johnson, another centre back, another left/right midfielder.

The question is whether we can get the required coverage for a limited budget that I believe will be available to the new manager.... will be tough methinks....

But the base squad should be good enough to challenge for the same league position that we obtained last year..... and I think Roy can probably extract the best out of these current crop of players.

Challenge for the same postition ?! Surely when you sack a manager you are then looking forward and your next appointment should be a step up and then you should be looking to improve the team - if you just challenge for the same position then why get rid of the old manager in the first place - especially when the previous season was one poor season in 6
Benny The Noon

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion