Pre-season friendly ...whats better

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:53 pm

Not sure on this one, we have just been to the other side of the world to play a few games and apart from our young kids getting a good holiday out of hit I don’t feel our real players got nothing that they could not have got from playing in the wembley cup.

I know we make a lot of money from this but do we put the money before the fitness of our players, yes some of our player have been playing game when the rest of the team were just starting their holidays but I think we need to look at the build up to our year a bit better.

looking at other forums it seem other teams would like to stay at home or only go as far as spain to play games and they are not happy that their team is off to play games in places like China.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:10 pm

You're probably right staying in europe at least would be better but ManUre made 6 million quid from 4 games in the far east and 'reached out' to their expanding fan base. You´ve got to do it mate.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Reg wrote:You're probably right staying in europe at least would be better but ManUre made 6 million quid from 4 games in the far east and 'reached out' to their expanding fan base. You´ve got to do it mate.

how much did we make from this trip, bet it was nothing like that, bet we sold lots of shirts.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:21 pm

Well, last time they went to HK, i was there and the game was not as serious since they have water breaks. But to be able to see them live is really something to remember for those who doesn't have the chance to go to Anfield. The market in China is really big. Therefore, many big team would go to China now since they pay big bucks for these games and also good for the team to do some marketing. You need to expand the fan base as Reg had said above. I think LFC will gain indirectly from the increase coverage and broadcast rights and so on. The selling of jersey can't be underestimated since China has 1.2 billion people. As you all know most of the Asian country are quite populated. Thus make it idea to tour around. I think the players like it here in HK especially the party after the game since there were so many nice looking gals :p
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:27 pm

it was just that i was looking at other games this weekend and other teams were getting a very good work out and some years we have tended to come out the blok a bit slow....ok apart from last year.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:31 pm

lakes10 wrote:
Reg wrote:You're probably right staying in europe at least would be better but ManUre made 6 million quid from 4 games in the far east and 'reached out' to their expanding fan base. You´ve got to do it mate.

how much did we make from this trip, bet it was nothing like that, bet we sold lots of shirts.

I read this morning that we made £5million from the trip Lakes.
account deleted by request

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:35 pm

It's all about the money and expanding the fan base . Just ask the lads on here that went to see them . Shirt sales ,merchandising and feeling that there not just there to spend there money ,but that the team will come out and play live infront of them . It's all aimed at keeping our asian brothers and sisters spending . It obviously works.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:37 pm

Some teams do it during the last stage of pre season - spurs for instance are on their way there now - prefer to do it nice and early then get back to uk and ramp up the training .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:49 pm

lakes10 wrote:it was just that i was looking at other games this weekend and other teams were getting a very good work out and some years we have tended to come out the blok a bit slow....ok apart from last year.

Yesterday I saw Celtic play Spurs and AC Meelan play Inter Meelan. Great workouts for all 4 sides.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:16 pm

Well in our situation money is important and from the last games it's obvious we have a lot of fans there (plus it's nice that some members like Toffee have a chance to have the team close to them, I'm happy for them :) ). I really don't take very seriously football wise the preseason game, I don't give it much importance if Johnson is tested in LB or Agger is, I just want the player gets minutes of football.

Results are the least important for me in preseason, and this getting of minutes can be done anywhere. We don't need "Peace Cups" when in the trophy room we have CLs , leagues and F.A cups. So if we get those minutes and form while we take care of our world wide fans, then it's ok.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:24 pm

i think it's a good thing, the players get a bit of an adventure, it must be kind of cool playing in Thailand and Singapore etc, we expand our fan base massively and we make money short term and long term, where's the downside? Pre-season is more about fitness than having tough games anyway. I mean you don't want a tough game where players might get injured do you?
heimdall

Postby Sabre » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:32 pm

True Heimdall.

Another thing I don't want in the pre season is CL preliminary rounds, thank God we'll enjoy the first summer without them, you like it or not it was competition games in which you couldn't afford a surprise and might even get an uncomfortable french or german team. All in the middle of the preparation of the league, it wasn't a good thing.
Last edited by Sabre on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 pm

I think we owe it to our fan base over there tbh, they watch us from a far all season long and it's nice to let them see our star players in there own country to repay there loyal following.

As for the fitness side of things,I don't think it messes with that aspect because they are only playing 45 Min's tops and it is very early in schedule that we go on these tours, the intensity steps up when they come back.

It is also essential for the marketing value of things   (so they can copy our shirt design and flog them on Ebay )

:D
roberto green

Postby lakes10 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:03 pm

Reg wrote:
lakes10 wrote:it was just that i was looking at other games this weekend and other teams were getting a very good work out and some years we have tended to come out the blok a bit slow....ok apart from last year.

Yesterday I saw Celtic play Spurs and AC Meelan play Inter Meelan. Great workouts for all 4 sides.

yep that what i was looking at and thinking that we was missing out.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:25 am

GYBS wrote:Some teams do it during the last stage of pre season - spurs for instance are on their way there now - prefer to do it nice and early then get back to uk and ramp up the training .

Agree with that. It's about stage planning and I think we've planned it quite sensibly in that respect. The aim should be to give the kids a run out early on against the lesser opposition before gradually phasing in the first-teamers, depending on their fitness levels etc... The tour of asia a month or so in advance of the season opener has allowed us to get our commercial stuff in (and say hello to our asian fans) nice and early, with a following week to recover from jet lag before Espanyol, so there's no actual disruption to our schedule if you look at it like that - fitness work can be done anywhere when it''s that early in pre-season; Bangkok, Wembley, it doesn't really matter. Now's about the time we should be playing with more of a spine to the team, so by the time we play Atletico (our final friendly) we select more or less the side we want to play against Spurs. That gives us a sense of where we are, a sense of cohesiveness perhaps  :D
LFC2007

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion