Pre-season friendly ...whats better

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:47 am

roberto green wrote:I think we owe it to our fan base over there tbh, they watch us from a far all season long and it's nice to let them see our star players in there own country to repay there loyal following.

Well said.  I eagerly await Liverpool's Canadian tour as repayment for my loyalty.  :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:48 am

roberto green wrote:I think we owe it to our fan base over there tbh, they watch us from a far all season long and it's nice to let them see our star players in there own country to repay there loyal following.

As for the fitness side of things,I don't think it messes with that aspect because they are only playing 45 Min's tops and it is very early in schedule that we go on these tours, the intensity steps up when they come back.

It is also essential for the marketing value of things   (so they can copy our shirt design and flog them on Ebay )

:D

:nod , spot on
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:18 am

s@int wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
Reg wrote:You're probably right staying in europe at least would be better but ManUre made 6 million quid from 4 games in the far east and 'reached out' to their expanding fan base. You´ve got to do it mate.

how much did we make from this trip, bet it was nothing like that, bet we sold lots of shirts.

I read this morning that we made £5million from the trip Lakes.

i imagine its worth even more than that in the long term. could have picked up a fair number of converts or made some casual supporters less casual, and as such could be buying more LFC stuff for years to come
JoeTerp

Postby heimdall » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:25 am

Bad Bob wrote:

Well said.  I eagerly await Liverpool's Canadian tour as repayment for my loyalty.  :D

But are there any football teams in Canada? You lot only play Ice Hockey don't you?  :p
heimdall

Postby roberto green » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:53 pm

heimdall wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

But are there any football teams in Canada? You lot only play Ice Hockey don't you?  :p

We could send Skrtyl over to play Ice Hockey no one would want him in a face off

:D
roberto green

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:00 pm

heimdall wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Well, they could play Toronto FC, I suppose, or we could scrounge together the national team like Thailand did.  Carra and the lads at the back would surely be shi.ting themselves at the thought of facing Tomas Radzinsky again and maybe we could coax Craig Forrest out of retirement to stifle Nando at the other end! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Highland Red » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:41 pm

Making money and expanding fanbases is something we hear a lot of. How valid is that though?

This isn't say, QPR or West Ham for example. They could maybe justify this angle easier as London's 'other clubs'. Play on the back of 'there's more to London than Chelski or ARSEnal'.

But Liverpool FC??? I'm not convinced we need to.

Sure, money is always good, but how much much did we really acrue from this jaunt? £3m? £5m? Who knows? But i'll tell you what i do know, that ain't going to make any kind of impression in the current transfer market if that's where the money is destined for.

If it was to wholly re-invest in our youth system, then great, but that would never happen. Liverpool rarely focus on our homegrown players at the moment. 

Expanding our fanbase doesn't seem to make sense either, with wall-to-wall TV coverage and internet live broadcasts. I know more about European teams now than ever. Remember those old European nights before Sky and the internet? We'd get drawn against some 'crack' Yugoslav team that you could barely pronounce never mind know where it was.

Touring back then made sense. These days? I don't get it. In the current market it's very little reward for a lot of logistical effort.

Liverpool would be better served setting up base for 2-3 weeks somewhere much nearer home and getting intensive, bonding pre-season going properly. By the time the close season is done we're frothing at the mouth to start the season, not have statements on the official website from Carra stating we've got '12 days to get it right'.

Just my humble likes.  :cool:
Highland Red

Postby lakes10 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:47 pm

well going on our last game i think the team are run down by spending so much time away from home, if you add in that most players have also been away on holiday it would mean most plyers have been away from home for almost 5 weeks.

and as our results were so poor at home last year it might have been a good idea to get the other teams to come and play us.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Highland Red » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:51 pm

lakes10 wrote:well going on our last game i think the team are run down by spending so much time away from home, if you add in that most players have also been away on holiday it would mean most plyers have been away from home for almost 5 weeks.

and as our results were so poor at home last year it might have been a good idea to get the other teams to come and play us.

True. Staying in the one training camp as opposed to touring and pimping themselves around Asia doesn't sit well with me.
Highland Red

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:52 pm

Most of Europe's elite tour far away places. Therefore they'll all be run down, and all are f'ucking barmy.

Should've listened to Lakes.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion