Positive times ahead - The future's bright

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:06 pm

I have generally noticed a lot more optimism on these boards over the last couple of weeks, and rightfully so. I bet many of you didn't realise this but following Saturday’s impressive display at home to Charlton, we have the best home league record in England so far this season.

Recent performances have provided further evidence that the “rafa-lution” is progressing although our inability to take the flood of opportunities our inventive open play is creating, is a problem that needs to be rectified sooner rather than later.

The Cisse and Baros partnership has yet to show any spark and pundits are quickly jumping on the fact that the two players make similar runs and seem to have no bond on or off the pitch. Time may prove these critics wrong, but indications are that once the January sales commence, Reds fans may have another new striker to worship.

Last week Fernando Morientes confirmed an interest in signing for the Reds in January despite Real Madrid’s declaration that he is ‘intransferable’. However press reports persist that the player’s agent was at Anfield during the midweek draw at home to Deportivo to sound out Rafa regarding a move in the New Year.

I previously suggested Liverpool could make a shrewd move by offering Owen for Morientes plus cash and this seemed likely to materialise in August, but for Camacho’s insistence on keeping the Spanish striker at the Bernabeau. I was heavily criticised for suggesting Morientes was a better striker than Owen, but the ‘hit-man’ went onto to fire Monaco into the Champions League final as the competitions leading marksman.

He is a proven goal-scorer in the Spanish League, the Champions League and at International level and his style of play is exactly the type we need to partner either Baros or Cisse, with my personal preference for Milan Baros. Morientes is powerful in the air, strong with his back to goal and deadly inside the penalty area and he would compliment the tireless work of Baros who likes to run into the channel and create openings.

Recent speculation in the media had suggested a return for Michael Owen in the summer of 2005 but this would undoubtedly be a backwards step for Liverpool. Michael’s goal-scoring record at Anfield was fantastic and when he first broke into the team he was the shining light in an otherwise mediocre side. However, fans have to accept that he is no longer that player and the knee jerk reaction has been to state how much we miss him.

We miss the striker of 1998, but not the lazy, shadow of a player who strolled around the Anfield pitch during the last two seasons. Surely the hard working efforts of Milan Baros now that he is finally being given a fair chance in the first team highlight Owen’s lack of contribution to the side other than to miss chances and occasionally finish when put clean through on goal.

Last weekend Real Madrid beat Valencia 1-0 with Owen netting the winner with a tremendous finish to make it two goals in two games. However, he contributed little to the rest of the game and his goal was served up on a platter by the wonderful play of Zidane and Raul. Ronaldo’s comments after the game suggested he would prefer to play alongside Morientes or Raul as he claimed he and Michael were struggling to develop an understanding and that their partnership did not work.

The same problem arose at Liverpool, and until the emergence of Rooney, it was evident with England too. Michael does not seem to be able to develop in a partnership and right now Liverpool need to find a pairing to match the heavyweights of Rooney and Van Nistelrooy and Reyes and Henry, if we are to seriously challenge the top three over the next few seasons.

It is worth remembering that Milan Baros rarely played for Liverpool in recent seasons due to an inability to establish a partnership with Owen. He was the leading marksman in Euro 2004, whilst Owen struggled to find the net until the quarter - finals of the tournament. Favouritism can often cloud judgment and given the player Michael WAS and his development through the youth team, the coaching staff and fans alike seemed reluctant to accept the fact that Liverpool needed to get rid of Owen to prosper and any decision to bring him back to Anfield would be a mistake.

The loss of Owen will undoubtedly be mentioned every time we struggle to score goals this season, but the side now plays with more fluency and movement from the strikers and we are the fourth highest scoring side in the Premiership having played a game less. Time will tell whether we will miss Michael Owen, but I am confident the future looks bright without him.

Since the beginning of the season a number of players seem to have improved dramatically under the guidance of Rafael Benitez and his coaching staff.

Special praise must be given to the recent performances of Steve Finnan and Djimi Traore. These are two players I felt did not have the ability to deserve the honour of wearing a red shirt. However, their recent performances have suggested otherwise with Traore suddenly producing dominating displays, showing comfort in a left back role he had previously struggled in.

Finnan looks like a new player and the goal against West Brom seems to have given him a confidence and belief previously lacking. He now seems to have settled and is producing excellent displays reminiscent of his Fulham days, where he was arguably the best right back in the Premiership. We are now witnessing an eagerness to attack from the right and a willingness to shoot and get into the box.

With recent signing Josemi beginning to struggle after a bright start, Finnan looks certain to be the number one right back if he maintains performances like the one against Charlton on Saturday.

Josemi had looked like an inspirational signing and given time to fully adapt to the Premiership he may well fulfil his early promise. However, Ronaldo and Duff both beat him at will in recent matches and far to easily for my liking. His sending off against Fulham compounded his recent dip in form and he may now struggle to regain a first team place unless Rafa decides to play Finnan in midfield.

The side is playing with flair and an enthusiasm for attack at Anfield and if we can begin to re-produce the same quality on our travels we should see an improvement on the sixty point haul of last season.

The persistent rumours regarding the possibility of signing Ayala and Morientes in January would further bolster our first team squad should the speculation become a reality.

Ayala has the pace and aerial ability to compliment the dominating Hyypia at centre back and although Carragher has excelled in that position, Ayala would certainly improve our defensive capabilities and improve our aerial ability which has been susceptible from corners and free-kicks as we struggle to adjust to zonal marking.

The return of Gerrard will obviously be a massive lift for the entire club and there is also the hope that Nunez can live up to the high regard in which he is held by the manager.

The future is looking bright for Liverpool and the forthcoming matches at Millwall and Blackburn should enable us to improve our away from and continue to improve as a side. Watch this space…

YNWA :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Woollyback » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:25 pm

Another quality post San Miguel  :cool:
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:31 pm

... nice one Saint.. "UNBELIEVABLE".. now iin which legendry thread did i just read that word .... ??? :D
Last edited by zarababe on Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:29 pm

Well said mate. Could not agree more.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:21 pm

did you write this one yourself? :laugh:
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:25 pm

Quality post mate. Oh and love the 'San Miguel' quip from Woolyback. Toppos Nochos :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby adayinthelife » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:50 pm

Well said except Ayala isn't what I would call a pacey player.

The way Carragher has performed this season at centre half I think it is him we should be looking to find a partner for.
Smith to Shankly:My thigh is a bit sore,but I think I could play.
Shankly to Fagan:Tell him,Joe.He has got no chance of playing.
Smith to Fagan:Tell him to sod off.It is not his leg,it's mine.
Shankly to Smith:Oh no son.You are wrong,son.It is not your leg.
It is Liverpool Football Club's leg.
adayinthelife
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:51 pm

*claps* good post as usual StM.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 9:57 pm

Hey St Mike I sent you this as a PM yesterday  :angry:
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:36 pm

taff wrote:Hey St Mike I sent you this as a PM yesterday  :angry:

Hey taff I sent it to you on Tuesday. :angry:  :p  :D  :laugh:  :laugh:
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:37 pm

:(

That was our secret
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:42 pm

taff wrote: :(

That was our secret

I thought the other thing about the dungeon was "our little secret" ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:45 pm

Hey your singing like a canary tonight
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:41 am

You two and your secret little PM's

Anythin else your hiding lads :;): :p :D
Last edited by Paul C on Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:59 am

:laugh:
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion