PORTSMOUTH VS LIVERPOOL - build up

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Forever_Red » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:12 am

can someone tell me if are we on sky or setanta please?
Reclaim The Kop

YNWA
Forever_Red

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:25 am

Forever_Red wrote:can someone tell me if are we on sky or setanta please?

Sky mate.

And this game although tricky is one we should win.

Play the best 11 INCLUDING Gerrard and go at these. We are in form and dont want to give Portsmouth the initiative.
All this talk of Stevie not being fit and having a broken toe is rubbish imo. He had loads of recovery time after playing against Chelsea and seems to have come through the England games unscathed.
I would not start Carra if he is not 100 % though, i just have visions of his derby nightmare at goodison last season.
So my team would be.
Reina
Finnan
Hyypia
Agger
Arbeloa
Pennant
Mascherano
Gerrard
Benayoun
Torres
Voronin

Get the 3 points here feck off home and rest players against Porto if they are tired, our priority is the league this season.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:23 am

s@int wrote:I can't work in conditions like this - Benitez slams the system
Last updated at 11:37am on 13th September 2007

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has expressed his disappointment at the Barclays Premier League fixture list, insisting it was "impossible to prepare a team properly" following an international week.

Benitez, like many of his fellow bosses, faces a rush this weekend as he prepares his side to face Portsmouth. 

Many of the Spaniards' key players have been on duty with their countries in crucial Euro 2008 qualifiers and far-flung international friendlies and he believes the limited period of time they have to recover for domestic action is restrictive.

Liverpool's visit to Fratton Park on Saturday kicks off at 12.45pm and Benitez has called for a change of policy.

He said: "I am really disappointed with the fixtures that we have because it is more difficult here in England. You play early kick-offs on the Saturday (after internationals) and it is impossible to prepare the team properly.

"The players arrive back on Thursday evening and the only thing you can do with some of them is just to run a little bit and send them home.

"Friday morning you will have a light training session and you will travel to Portsmouth in this case and you cannot prepare the team."

He added: "Normally the players that are going away are internationals because they are good players and you need these players for winning every game.

"For me it's impossible to prepare the team properly, you can prepare small details but to prepare the team physically and mentally for the game will be difficult."

Benitez went on to question the treatment of sides who compete in midweek in Europe and said the vagaries of the fixture list could cost teams a shot at the title.

"One of the things for me that is important now is to change the schedule for the top sides," he said.

"We had the same problem with the Champions League games; we were playing on the Wednesday, then kick off on the Saturday and normally away. I think it's not fair and in the end you have more problems winning these games.

"When you play for the title, if you lose two or three games away against 'normal' teams, after that you know maybe you can lose against the top sides and maybe your possibilities will be more difficult."
                               -------------------------------------------

Rafa seems to be speaking his mind a lot more now, I am not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing. I agree that we do seem to be unfairly treated at times, and that speaking out after the game rather than before it can look like sour grapes rather than making a genuine point, but I am not keen on giving players ready made excuses not to perform.

I think it's boll#cks myself, personally.

The mancs are kicking off earlier than us and Arsenal kick off less than an hour after us. True, they don't have to travel far, but they have extremely tough away games.

Rafa should stop whinging about this and use it as a siege mentality. The fact that we're playing early means that if we win, we put pressure on everybody else to win to stay with us.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:27 am

I think it's boll#cks myself, personally.

The mancs are kicking off earlier than us and Arsenal kick off less than an hour after us. True, they don't have to travel far, but they have extremely tough away games.

Rafa should stop whinging about this and use it as a siege mentality. The fact that we're playing early means that if we win, we put pressure on everybody else to win to stay with us.

Agreed Mick, Dalglish01, Lyndsey, BradLFC, Gerhard, Goatie#1, meow meow, Kitehorse or whoever posts this was originally. :D
66-1112520797

Postby Sabre » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:33 am

I don't think it's bóllocks not to be able to prepare a match. Week work is important.

But maybe, it wasn't the time to attack again the league because he did it recently and the point was already made. But, if the press is aware of the situation and they ask him... he has to explain he's not happy with this week's work.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:42 am

we just have to get on with it. i think we're playing the bluesh#te at 12.45 after the next lot of international games aswell.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby heimdall » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:43 am

Sabre wrote:I don't think it's bóllocks not to be able to prepare a match. Week work is important.

But maybe, it wasn't the time to attack again the league because he did it recently and the point was already made. But, if the press is aware of the situation and they ask him... he has to explain he's not happy with this week's work.

I agree, but he is starting to moan a bit now though, which looks a bit defeatist, I would prefer the siege mentality but maybe that is what he is trying to build with the team!
heimdall

Postby mattylfc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:51 am

Really unsure how Rafa will line up this week. I think he may go with something like this due to internationals:

Reina

Finnan         JC        Agger        Arbeloa

Pennant     Masch     Sissoko       Riise

Kuyt    Crouch

I am hoping that Gerrard will play but the fact that he has played two games in a short period after an injury may mean he misses out.  If Rafa says JC is fit, he will definitely play in my opinion.  Pennant and Masch should be fighting fit and i think we will need Sissoko if Diop plays. Riise or Babel on the left and i would go with Fresh legs up top with Kuyt and Crouch.

Theres every chance that i am completely wrong but worth a stab.
mattylfc

Postby maguskwt » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:35 pm

mattylfc wrote:                     Reina

Kuyt    Crouch

nowadays... i don't like a line up without torres in it... :no
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NansPanofScouse » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:42 pm

heimdall wrote:
Sabre wrote:I don't think it's bóllocks not to be able to prepare a match. Week work is important.

I agree, but he is starting to moan a bit now though, which looks a bit defeatist, I would prefer the siege mentality but maybe that is what he is trying to build with the team!

Im afraid i have to disagree with all of you on this.

Rafa might be "moaning" but its for the clubs best interests,  and whats wrong with that? He's a passionate guy.
Lately he has been more out spoken than normal, and yes nobody wants a Maureen for a manager!

But (and i bet i speak for all us here) i would hate to have a manager that was too frightened to speak his mind, and say it how it is.

In recent months the reason why he has been so outspoken (In my opinion of course) and started giving his views, is because we were in so many ways behind Arsenal, Chelski, the Manc's that now when we can fight them for the league, there are still problems and advantages to them. No matter how much money we have we will still have early fixtures. Thats my POV anyways.

Whether or not all this is a load of kak remains to be seen, but theres no smoke without fire. :talktothehand
Last edited by NansPanofScouse on Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NansPanofScouse

Postby mattylfc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:40 pm

maguskwt wrote:
mattylfc wrote:                     Reina

Kuyt    Crouch

I agree mate but Torres has played twice in a week whilst carrying a little knock.  If you are gonna rest him at all this season, surely this game wouldnt be a bad one with all three other strikers playing just a few minutes between them.

This is where our squad should be showing its worth.
mattylfc

Postby AB's Red Army » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:43 pm

mattylfc wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
mattylfc wrote:                    Reina

Kuyt    Crouch

I agree mate but Torres has played twice in a week whilst carrying a little knock.  If you are gonna rest him at all this season, surely this game wouldnt be a bad one with all three other strikers playing just a few minutes between them.

This is where our squad should be showing its worth.

Torres only played one full game. In the other game, he only played 28 minutes because Xabi got sent off and he was taken off by Aragones for Albeda.[sp?]
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby Effes » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:14 pm

By the way, Portsmouth had the 6th best home record last season:

P    W   D   L    F    A
19  11   5   3   28  15

Including wins over us( yea, we had a weakened side ) and Man U.

Make no mistake, they are very good at home.

BUT if we were to win, then we have Birmingham at home and Wigan away
in the next 2 games - whcih could see us with a Won 6 Drawn 1 Lost 0
record which would be a magnificent start to the season.

Crunch game this.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:23 pm

Not a light game for us after two weeks off.
We could have our work cut out here to get a win, and on top of thats its a 12:45 kick off.

1-2 win
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:38 pm

to Portsmouth we shall go
another 3 points on the road
the rest of the world will know
Liverpool's on a winning mode

how many will we score?
which David James will appear?
we'll skin Pompey raw
because we have no fear.