Portsmouth v liverpool - 7/2/09  17:30

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:32 am

Surprisingly, I think Rafa has as good as declared that Torres won't start tomorrow. Playing Portsmouth now is a good chance to try out the fringe players who might see the injury to Stevie G and remaining doubts over Nando's current fitness levels as a chance to get their names on the team sheet more often. I do doubt though that many of them have the quality.

However I expect something like:

REINA

ARBYLOA   CARRA    BIG SAMMI    DISSENA

SHABBI     MONSTA

BABELTIME                        BEAVIS

BENNYNOON

KITE       

Should Shabbi Alonso not be fit I have no doubt that Rafa will put in that waste of space Lucas. Undoubtedly Rafa WILL be aware of the mauling we've all been giving Lucas and will go into stubborn mode and insist on putting him in (assuming his suspension hasn't yet kicked in.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:36 am

Greavesie wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
Greavesie wrote:I think Luke's right, Torres looks wrecked, if we're going to prove youngters this is probably the game to do so. Leave Torres on the bench for the second half if needed tho :D

Lakes, what makes you believe its his mind? you questioning his commitment to Liverpool?

no mate not his commitment to Liverpool, I think after being out twice this year every time he gets a knock or feels a bt tight his mind turn to the fear of pulling something again. you can see it most when he tries  to turn with the ball or tries to reach for the ball, he is slow getting up and checks himself to make sure he is ok.

just to reiterate I wasn't accusing you of doing so (even tho the way it was worded implied so). Spain is the jinx mate  :D  hope he doesn't play for them in the coming weeks.

yep, we all know he will start for Spain, lets just hope he is ok, in a why it might be better to play him this weekend to keep him lose for them.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:51 am

"Torres and Alonso might not be fit"

Lets see, England Spain friendly coming up.  Now is the time to "get injuries."  I expect to see them both starting, and coming off after we are a goal up.  Or maybe starting from the bench and coming on at the 60th.
SupitsJonF

Postby Madmax » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:40 am

Things just cant get better can they...
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:27 am

Rafael Benitez fears Fernando Torres burn-out as Liverpool maintain title challenge
Rafa Benitez will be granted an immediate test of the management skills a certain former employee believes he lacks as he tries to balance maintaining a Premier League title campaign with not burning out his talismanic striker Fernando Torres.

The Spanish international has already played five games in 16 days despite struggling for fitness after two months out with a hamstring injury, but, with Robbie Keane sold and Steven Gerrard injured, is likely to feature in Saturday evening’s game with Portsmouth.

Entirely resting the player, clearly exhausted during the 1-0 defeat at Goodison Park in midweek, is not an option, despite Benitez’s natural reluctance to run the risk of Torres breaking down again and leaving just stand-ins and rookies to try to fire Liverpool to the league championship.

Even making him a substitute is a gamble. Everton were inspired to see Steven Gerrard limp off at Goodison Park, but Benitez feels any psychological boost to the opposition is offset by the quality of his replacements.

“Maybe for the first five minutes, but then they see you have David N’Gog and they think that maybe it would be easier if Fernando was there,” he joked.

“The first question is whether Torres will start. All the players want to play in every game, so if you speak to Fernando, he will say that he is ready, of course. That is where it is down to the coaches to decide.

“The next thing is how long he has to be on the pitch. Maybe we could save him for the last minute or maybe he will play for 80 minutes. It depends from player to player, but Fernando is maybe different because he is explosive.

“I think his hamstring problems are over, but now he has to work on his physical condition. We have to be careful with him, not because we do not have other options, just because there are not many players like Fernando.”

Benitez would no doubt rather have beaten Everton, but he will be glad of the extra week’s rest not being involved in the FA Cup will afford his side. Before that, though, comes the prospect of losing as many as a dozen players to the midweek internationals.

The case of Torres will cause Benitez more worry than most. He has picked up three injuries while on international duty and the Liverpool manager would be furious to lose his key player for the sake of what is little more than a money-spinning exhibition.

But at least Benitez can take solace in the fact that he is handing Torres, as well as Pepe Reina, Xabi Alonso, Alvaro Arbeloa and Albert Riera, to friends. He is close to Spain manager Vicente Del Bosque, with whom he worked at Real Madrid, and Spain’s physio Javier Minano is another former colleague.

He said: “The communication is very good. I spoke with Minano yesterday and he was asking for information on all our players. We have not put a request in for them to play Torres for only one half, but they have all the information.

“That is how they work with all the clubs, but especially with us because I know them well. They will take care of them.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport....ge.html
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:31 am

Effes wrote:Everton were inspired to see Steven Gerrard limp off at Goodison Park, but Benitez feels any psychological boost to the opposition is offset by the quality of his replacements.

“Maybe for the first five minutes, but then they see you have David N’Gog and they think that maybe it would be easier if Fernando was there,” he joked.

This must be Spanish humour Sabes right? Isn't it funny how each culture has their own nuances in a humourous sense?
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:52 am

Can Pennant play in this game?
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:11 am

bigmick wrote:Can Pennant play in this game?

No Mick - he's on loan
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:32 am

Effes wrote:
bigmick wrote:Can Pennant play in this game?

No Mick - he's on loan

:D I knew that mate, presumeably that automatically disqualifies him then, fair enuff.
Last edited by bigmick on Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:32 am

Off to Portsmouth in a bit  :D gonna call in to see a friend in New Milton on the way. ive got me thermals on its :censored: freezin.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:34 am

So we're playing Portsmotuh, last game was a biggy, now we are on Setanta... 0-0 anyone?

I am staying in for it. Every game ive gone out to see us play on Setanta we've drawn... need to change it up
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:38 am

Did us alright against Pompey being a 5.30pm Saturday ko, the only game we won in January. I hear Sultana lost some of their broadcasting rights! ha de f in ha ha ha :laugh:
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mistyred » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:32 am

Feck sake. Got setanta cut off last week cos they barely have anything
good on, Put sky sports on and now we are on setanta :O

My car is not having it's m.o.t till wednsday, urrggg b0ll0x. What a start to
the weekend :D
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 am

We have a few problems but Portsmouth are in disarray, Adams had to go over to the Pompey fans last week to reassure them things will be ok, they where chanting OUT OUT OUT to him lets hope their turmoil turns worst tonight.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:01 am

If we cant beat thes useless feckers we may as well give up! :D
I think Rafa will rest Nando as well tbh..he looked absolutely wrecked during the week.Wont be anywhere near our strongest team but it should be plenty good enough to beat Pompey!

Anyone think W Ham may get something at home to UTD..No,me neither but stranger things have happened!..Come on the 'ammers! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion