Portsmouth v liverpool - 7/2/09  17:30

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tonyeh » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 am

Number 9 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:
GYBS wrote:but it didnt did it .

For fuck's sake.   :angry:

well he is right..it did'nt Tonyeh we did it we took all 3 points!

What do you want us to be like ?UTD who were outplayed by W Ham and scored a one nil winner?Or will you tell me that this is what winners do..be like UTD?

"but it didnt did it" isn't very convincing No.9.

Just because the result was the right one (barely), doesn't make the decision the right one.

I'd understand somewhat, if we had a big game this weekend, but we didn't, so the gamble becomes even more absurd. I'd have even accepted it if Kuyt had played up top for the first half.

Seriously though, the result has clouded the real concern. That Rafa (a manager who is challenging for the Premiership title) would believe that the decision he made on Saturday was the correct one.

Make no mistake, that game was touch and go.
tonyeh

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:25 am

We came within 90 seconds of drawing the match, within four minutes of losing it but the team selection was spot on  :laugh: . We weren't playing AC Milan here, we were playing Pompey who a couple of weeks ago got beat 3-0 at Home by the might of Newcastle. We got out of jail, it was as exciting as feck but lets not kid ourselves, we came within a whisker of blowing our title challenge once and for all.

That we prevailed 90 seconds from time is peachy, but I do think some people would be easier to take seriously if they at least tried to post objectively. We got away with it, and thank heavens for that. Did we get lucky? Well we had our fair share but I think we kind of mafe our own luck such was the energy with which we chased the match.

Had we played Torres, Kuyt and Alonso from the off (and I'm not necessarily saying we should have) we would have won the match fairly comfortably I should think. Stick Gerrard in and you'd have been looking at a rout. By playing a bizarre line-up we made it interesting, exciting and compulsive viewing. It really isn't as simple as saying we won so it was right though. The basketball bloke predictably thinks it is, but it isn't. Five minutes to go we were 2-1 down, and my guess is we'd retrive that situation maybe one in ten attempts. That it just so happened that this was the one occasion doesn't make the selcetion a good one.

As we've seen over the past five seasons, if you continually play with fire you will eventually get your fingers burnt. Those who have followed our previous visits to Fratton Park will know this only too well.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 am

Just because the result was the right one (barely), doesn't make the decision the right one.
[quote][/quote]

This has to be a classic :D  :D  :D
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:28 am

sgs wrote:Just because the result was the right one (barely), doesn't make the decision the right one.

Well it does if you don't understand the game I suppose yes  :;): If you don't understand the game you may also conclude that if we lose a match then by definition the selection was wrong. It isn't as simple as that though.

It may apply in basketball I have absolutely no idea, but in football it's different  :) .
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:40 am

bigmick wrote:Had we played Torres, Kuyt and Alonso from the off (and I'm not necessarily saying we should have) we would have won the match fairly comfortably I should think. Stick Gerrard in and you'd have been looking at a rout.

I don't know that you can be so sure about that mate. Umpteen times this season our strongest (at least close to it) line-up has failed to score early, and failed to win comfortably, let alone rout the opposition. The only team I can recall us routing this season was Newcastle and that came with a similarly rotated side. I know Pompey are a poor side but I held the likes of Stoke and Hull in similar regard and watched considerably stronger Liverpool sides fail miserably to get the expected result. Had we scored early on during an excellent opening 15 minutes we may well have been on our way to a rout on Saturday but (as has been the case all season) the early goal did not materialize, the opposition were allowed into the game and the lads (and the manager) were in the end very lucky to get away with it.

I'm not saying that i agreed with the selection but had Kuyt, Alonso and Torres all started the game and the game been level with 10-15 minutes to play we might have been in a bit of trouble.
Last edited by Scottbot on Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:59 am

They were the second worst team I think we've played this season Scott behind Newcastle. They were fairly clearly absolutely devoid of any confidence, and even with our rotations I think if we'd scored in the first 15 minutes we would have won easily. As we gradually began to lossen our grip on proceedings after about half an hour or so, thye for the first time looked like they actually thought they had a chance of perhaps getting something.

As we got poorer (and then babel missed his open goal) they began to gradually sneak into it. By the time they scored it was kind of looking like we might be on a sticky wicket. You can never be sure you'll win even with your best players on, but I would have thought even with Alonso on for Aurelio (not that he did badly because he didn't) and Kuyt for N'Gog, that would have been enough for an easy enough 2 or 3 nil.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:11 am

tonyeh wrote:
GYBS wrote:we were all over them for long periods but cold get past james - we didnt struggle .

Ha ha ha......we went behind TWICE!

That's not being "all over" anyone.

We may have had the lions share of possession, but we couldn't get a goal until changes were made.

Jesus Christ...positivity is one thing, but for fecks sake...   :no

Yeah...can't believe ppl are saying we didn't struggle at all even though we went behind twice and then argue that manure struggled more than us (when they eased to a 1-0 win)....... jesus...

Not sure if all the hippies are seeing the same shrink.....

My take.....i actually think Benitez was right to drop Torres as he was really out of sorts against ever$hit. But i am not sure why he had to also drop alonso... and play so many defenders against the most "out-of-form" team in the league ?

Without Gerrard and Torres, we are already down to 50% of the attacking force (in terms of goals and assists ....ozwat back me with the stats dude.... :p ) and then he proceeds to drop alonso who makes our midfield tick ?

We won.....thats great. But like newcastle when we won when he made those changes and then proceed to do the same against stoke, well..for this time around, i hope he doesn't make the same mistake.... (but he never learns from his mistake does he....  :glare: )
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:33 am

i don't think we struggle against pompey. It's just that, as usual  we gave them opportunity to get to us and i think we can score  in the first half only if those 2 idiots ( Babel and Ngog) didn't play.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:59 am

red_guy wrote:i don't think we struggle against pompey.

It's all about opinions of course, but my guess is if you'd asked any Liverpool fan how they felt with five minutes to go and we were 2-1 down, they'd have said it was a wee bit of a struggle to be honest. Just a tad like.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:02 am

bigmick wrote:
sgs wrote:Just because the result was the right one (barely), doesn't make the decision the right one.

Well it does if you don't understand the game I suppose yes  :;): If you don't understand the game you may also conclude that if we lose a match then by definition the selection was wrong. It isn't as simple as that though.

It may apply in basketball I have absolutely no idea, but in football it's different  :) .

The point is this- you are not a coach; in all probability never played the game professionally at least, are not privy to the inner workings of LFC and thus not equipped with the information available to the manager, both of his team, his players, the oposition, etc.

Based on superior knowledge the manager selects his team the way he thought fit against Pompey and wins. Without any more info than whats on Setanta you summarily dismiss the managers selection as faulty in spite of him winning.

On what rational basis can anyone take your opinion serious, even with all the conditionailities you seem to lace every sentence with...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:03 am

tonyeh wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:

What do you want us to be like ?UTD who were outplayed by W Ham and scored a one nil winner?Or will you tell me that this is what winners do..be like UTD?

I'd understand somewhat, if we had a big game this weekend, but we didn't, so the gamble becomes even more absurd. I'd have even accepted it if Kuyt had played up top for the first half.

Seriously though, the result has clouded the real concern. That Rafa (a manager who is challenging for the Premiership title) would believe that the decision he made on Saturday was the correct one.

Don't listen to much to the bullsh*t merchants after the games mate rafa gambled it wasn't working he put on torres/Kuyt and things worked out.

you can't moan when the manager gets it right its just stupid.

That everton game was a hard game and he clearly felt with Torres commign off injury and Kuyt almost played every game this season he had to only give them both a short spell on pitch.

Thats ok isn't it ? pretty smart if you ask me.

I also like to point out I feel this tactic rafa used is a sound one send on the younger lads to start vrs the smaller teams to run there socks off for 60 mins then bring on big boys with all there power there to kill game off.

Its one fergie has used well over the years and a sign tho very small that rafa might just be understanding how the prem works lets hope so !  :buttrock
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:10 am

sgs wrote:
bigmick wrote:

The point is this- you are not a coach; in all probability never played the game professionally at least, are not privy to the inner workings of LFC and thus not equipped with the information available to the manager, both of his team, his players, the oposition, etc.

Based on superior knowledge the manager selects his team the way he thought fit against Pompey and wins. Without any more info than whats on Setanta you summarily dismiss the managers selection as faulty in spite of him winning.

On what rational basis can anyone take your opinion serious, even with all the conditionailities you seem to lace every sentence with...

:D Fair play. We agree to differ, and there is absolutely no point in us going down this road again. Last time, we started getting involved in full court presses and goodness knows what else. We'll be talking about Kuyt getting rebounds and the like before we know it, and I must confess I have no knowledge of such things.

Using your premise, the manager knows more than everyone else therefore he never makes a mistake which could possibly be pinpointed by anyone on here, so we might as well close the forum. You are entitled to your opinion, so form one. "The manager knows better than you" doesn't really count.

Now as I say we've been down thos road before, and no doubt you'll want the final word so go ahead. If it's really good, i'll come back to you. If not, ta.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:19 am

tonyeh wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:

1. Get up from your desk.

2. Exit the building.

3. Catch a train.

4. Disembark at Mancunian Central.

5. Buy a parker.

6. Stand in the Stretford End.

7. Have a sh*t on the burks around you.

8. Smash your computer to bits so you never come on here again.

9. Do not respond to this.

10. Realise you do not have the intelligence to engage in conversation with me.

11. Wipe the dribble from your chin.

12. F*ck off.  :)

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:23 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
tonyeh wrote:
Number 9 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:

1. Get up from your desk.

2. Exit the building.

3. Catch a train.

4. Disembark at Mancunian Central.

5. Buy a parker.

6. Stand in the Stretford End.

7. Have a sh*t on the burks around you.

8. Smash your computer to bits so you never come on here again.

9. Do not respond to this.

10. Realise you do not have the intelligence to engage in conversation with me.

11. Wipe the dribble from your chin.

12. F*ck off.  :)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :D May not be to everyone's taste but that was quite funny come on.

Can I just say here and now, Lando (because I know you're reading) I think rants like that are classic and should totally be allowed. I'll bet even Tony is laughing at that one, I would be if it was at me.

Some of em are a bit more borderline, some of em over the border, but that one was good.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:54 am

All i know is that the result turned my weekend from a decent one to a bloody brilliant one as i headed out into Bournemouth straight after the game and couldn't stop grinning all night!

Bournmeth hey ? I bet you had a right bender with all those old Fogees :D

Atire in Bournmeth is, wear a white Hanky with four knots in the corners and stick it on yer head Beenie style. Where Jesus Creepers on ya feet but not forgetting the white socks underneath. Where a coffee and Werthers original stained vest as ya top, and a pair of stumpy shorts just to show off those Varicass veins. :D

Only Joking Scott.

Little fact time now, apparently the sand at Bournemath beach is taken from the Sahara deset ?

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion