Portsmouth v liverpool - 7/2/09  17:30

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby heimdall » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:43 pm

Lee J wrote:eh?

well fk me daft with a broom handle I spent all day yesterday thinking it was 2-2 final score. I had to work on Saturday evening so missed the end, just presummed it finished 2-2.

Im made up now.
:laugh:

GET THE FECK IN THERE!!!

I believe the word is numpty  :no  :D
heimdall

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:06 pm

The biggest oddity out of that game is we conceded 2 goals despite fielding 6 defenders?  What does that tell you? :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 pm

heimdall wrote:
Lee J wrote:eh?

well fk me daft with a broom handle I spent all day yesterday thinking it was 2-2 final score. I had to work on Saturday evening so missed the end, just presummed it finished 2-2.

Im made up now.
:laugh:

FECKIN HEIMDALL!!!

I believe the word is numpty  :no  :D

:D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby millsybeast » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:02 pm

W didnt play well but we won and thats what its all about. Only Champions  can play :censored: and still win and thats what we are :))
millsybeast

Postby tonyeh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Reg wrote:The biggest oddity out of that game is we conceded 2 goals despite fielding 6 defenders?  What does that tell you? :laugh:

It tells you Rafa fielded the wrong team/formation/system for the job. Even with 6 defenders on the pitch, it looks like they were told to attack anyway (at least for the first 10 mins  :)   ) and it's not a job they can do well it seems.

I'm still made up with the result, but it's decisions like the one on Saturday that makes me believe that Rafa is not the man for the job. He's a chancer...and even with the risk of injury to Torres, Alonso or even Kuyt, that risk was far outweighed by the absolute disaster that a loss to Portsmouth would have yielded. IMO, it was a gamble that didn't need to be taken at all.

When looked at in the cold light of day, Liverpool struggled and went behind twice against a team that hadn't kept a clean sheet in 12 games and lost their last 9.

An exciting match for sure, but I never want those chances taken again with a title attempt.
tonyeh

Postby GYBS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:51 pm

Struggled ? in what match did they struggle cause it wasnt against pompey thats for sure .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:25 pm

Well what an end ay .. crucial result.

And for those who say it wasn't down to Rafa.. well it's his team,tactics, changes and substitutions.. so Get A Life - calling our season 'over' before the final whistle was even blown... believe ay.. not with this crowd, your most likely to be trampled on for winning and proving the critics wrong.. even the pimp press acknowledged we are in there for the long haul.. :O
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Was it really a gamble or a calculated risk? And why is Rafa paid the many many thousands a week to do his job whereas we mere mortals take it on ourselves to tell him he's a tw@ if it turns out wrong or a lucky cu.nt cuz it came right? No-one will argue it wasn't lucky, but then those who are old enuf to think back a few years will recall the number of games we won in injury time back in the 70's and 80's.

I for one am glad to see the team played for the full 95 mins again, just like against (managerless now) chelsea. Thats somethin we've seen a distinct lack of since Istanbul and then Cardiff. The initial selection only really contained one inexperienced player, and - despite a strange set up - there should have been enuf there to beat Pompey. Indeed the early exchanges didn't look too bad at all, and maybe that same strange set-up did bite us as players seemed to lose a little confidence cuz it didnt go as right as we hoped.

Hopefully that set-up wont need repeatin too much, certainly against better equipped teams, but I'm fairly sure that if he feels he needs to do it then he will. And rest assured he'll take the rap. Regardless of who's in charge those decisions have to be made..... and regardless of our opinions they will happen. Had Rafa played Torres from the start and took him off with 15 to go and a goal up, where would we be should they have equalized? Wigan did it, and it aint the first time we dropped points with very little time to go. The correct decision was made satdy - end of story. Hindsight would only have been a benefit as a post mortem to our title challenges death.

It's very simple to write these words, even simpler to be p!$$ed off with me as you read them, but its the truth..... or as Rafa told the press the other day "It's fact!!"

I hope i aint annoyed anyone, it wernt meant that way, but truth is we aint gonna go til the end of the season with all of us bein appy clappy and smilin like a cheshire cat - but lets enjoy what we have and keep that spirit of YNWA until we have no chance of the title comin our way.

But if you DO wanna give up - theres a lotta teams that'd appreciate your support on a temporary basis I'm sure.......
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm

tonyeh wrote:
Reg wrote:The biggest oddity out of that game is we conceded 2 goals despite fielding 6 defenders?  What does that tell you? :laugh:

It tells you Rafa fielded the wrong team/formation/system for the job. Even with 6 defenders on the pitch, it looks like they were told to attack anyway (at least for the first 10 mins  :)   ) and it's not a job they can do well it seems.

I'm still made up with the result, but it's decisions like the one on Saturday that makes me believe that Rafa is not the man for the job. He's a chancer...and even with the risk of injury to Torres, Alonso or even Kuyt, that risk was far outweighed by the absolute disaster that a loss to Portsmouth would have yielded. IMO, it was a gamble that didn't need to be taken at all.

When looked at in the cold light of day, Liverpool struggled and went behind twice against a team that hadn't kept a clean sheet in 12 games and lost their last 9.

An exciting match for sure, but I never want those chances taken again with a title attempt.

So in your informed opinion he should've ignored the medical staff's advice and played Torres from start after the FA cup game, and then sent him on to play for Spain in midweek, then return to play over the weekend?

2ndly, if in your opinion he fielded the wrong team and formation, but still won, what then makes it wrong? The fact that you said so?

Pls help me out here...
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby sgs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:15 pm

GOAT_2.0 wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:season over , game over . :censored: ZONAL MARKING !

Bloody fool  :laugh:

FUNNY!
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby sgs » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:Was it really a gamble or a calculated risk? And why is Rafa paid the many many thousands a week to do his job whereas we mere mortals take it on ourselves to tell him he's a tw@ if it turns out wrong or a lucky cu.nt cuz it came right? No-one will argue it wasn't lucky, but then those who are old enuf to think back a few years will recall the number of games we won in injury time back in the 70's and 80's.

I for one am glad to see the team played for the full 95 mins again, just like against (managerless now) chelsea. Thats somethin we've seen a distinct lack of since Istanbul and then Cardiff. The initial selection only really contained one inexperienced player, and - despite a strange set up - there should have been enuf there to beat Pompey. Indeed the early exchanges didn't look too bad at all, and maybe that same strange set-up did bite us as players seemed to lose a little confidence cuz it didnt go as right as we hoped.

Hopefully that set-up wont need repeatin too much, certainly against better equipped teams, but I'm fairly sure that if he feels he needs to do it then he will. And rest assured he'll take the rap. Regardless of who's in charge those decisions have to be made..... and regardless of our opinions they will happen. Had Rafa played Torres from the start and took him off with 15 to go and a goal up, where would we be should they have equalized? Wigan did it, and it aint the first time we dropped points with very little time to go. The correct decision was made satdy - end of story. Hindsight would only have been a benefit as a post mortem to our title challenges death.

It's very simple to write these words, even simpler to be p!$$ed off with me as you read them, but its the truth..... or as Rafa told the press the other day "It's fact!!"

I hope i aint annoyed anyone, it wernt meant that way, but truth is we aint gonna go til the end of the season with all of us bein appy clappy and smilin like a cheshire cat - but lets enjoy what we have and keep that spirit of YNWA until we have no chance of the title comin our way.

But if you DO wanna give up - theres a lotta teams that'd appreciate your support on a temporary basis I'm sure.......

Well said sir....
sgs

Postby tonyeh » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 pm

GYBS wrote:Struggled ? in what match did they struggle cause it wasnt against pompey thats for sure .

In the first half we were struggling to break Pompey down.

Wake up.
tonyeh

Postby GYBS » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:37 pm

we were all over them for long periods but cold get past james - we didnt struggle .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:41 pm

KennyisGod....still wrote:Was it really a gamble or a calculated risk? And why is Rafa paid the many many thousands a week to do his job whereas we mere mortals take it on ourselves to tell him he's a tw@ if it turns out wrong or a lucky cu.nt cuz it came right? No-one will argue it wasn't lucky, but then those who are old enuf to think back a few years will recall the number of games we won in injury time back in the 70's and 80's.

Good post that.

Normally when Rafa doesn't play his perceived 'best starting eleven' people say it's because he's resting players for the forthcoming CL or FA cup game. But that's not usually the case. He plays the eleven he thinks has most chance of getting a result on the day. He'll be influenced by the fitness, injury status and form (yes form) of his players as well as the opposition (which has a big influence on the formation he'll choose).

He said after the Pompey game that he had long discussions with his medics before deciding to leave Torres, Alonso and Kuyt on the bench. We were awful against Everton at Goodison. It clearly wasn't with our next game in mind given it's 15 days after our last one. If we'd started with Torres and it was 0-0, or even worse, and Rafa had substituted him he would have got hammered.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Igor Zidane » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 pm

We didn't struggle at all , infact i'd say man u struggle more against west ham yesterday . We battered pompey and now there a team who haven't kept a clean sheet in there last 13 and have lost 10 on the bounce and have sacked therev manager . Spectrums apart from Liverpool and Our manager , i'd say .
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion