Pool v boro.  praise and moans

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby rse » Sun May 02, 2004 7:33 pm

Well, we got the result we needed and it was a fairly encouraging display.  The opening half an hour saw a midfield ferocity that has been noticebly missing quite often this season.  They closed down, tackled and forced Middlesbro into errors.  They really looked like they were up for it and wanted it.  I think this was a major factor in giving us the initiative in the game and if we could get midfield performances like we did in the first half I think Liverpool would not be any where near what we are behind the leaders at the moment.

Saying that though, the standard of our crossing was quite poor and we suffered the usual problem of not getting men into the box.  Our counter attack is incredibly slow and we didnt get enough forward to support when we did go into counter attack.

We, once again, relied too much on the long ball to Owen and this tactic was frustrated by Owen's first touch on the ball which was often awful.  He dwelt on the ball too often as well and gave possession away.  I dont know why a world class striker seems to need half an hour on the ball.

Once we were 2-0 I think we could have done more but the usual defensive caution surfaced once again.  We laid back off them and gave them the ball alot more.  This is probably most frustrating off all.  I actually think this team has ability if they were allowed to be a little bit more adventureous.

Anyway, points in the bag.  So I reckon I'm happy (ish).

Ultimate Kop Nostalgia
'Sing When We're Standing' is an audio cd of the Kop recorded at Anfield during the last ever game standing in 1994.  Quite simply, its the power and passion of the Kop captured on cd.  For more details and to hear a sample from the cd please visit www.kopcd.co.uk
rse

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 02, 2004 7:38 pm

Stop your moaning for gods sake.

2-0 against a side that is superb defensively.

We looked solid and played well and the second goal was sheer class.

Stop being pedantic. Its pathetic.
115-1073096938

Postby rse » Sun May 02, 2004 8:32 pm

I said the display was encouraging.

I was merely giving my opinion about the game from a footballing point of view. It had good points and bad.  Thats my opinion.  Whats pathetic about that?
'Sing When We're Standing' is an audio cd of the Kop recorded at Anfield during the last ever game standing in 1994.  Quite simply, its the power and passion of the Kop captured on cd.  For more details and to hear a sample from the cd please visit www.kopcd.co.uk
rse

Postby XSD » Mon May 03, 2004 12:22 am

Good game.
Owen, Kewell, Riise, Heskey, Murphy, Gerrard, Henchoz and Hamann all did well; infact, it was a good all round performance from the whole side. It's very encouraging, I think we can win all our last games and take that 4th spot.

Bringing on Heskey was actually a good decision from Houllier, which isn't something we see all the time.
Kewell was unlucky, he clearly put a lot of effort towards getting a goal and played well, really deserved one.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon May 03, 2004 12:36 am

A good entertaining game and a well deserved 3 Pts against a tough opposition especially when they play Away as their away record proves. The fact we scored twice withing 8 mins of the second half sustitutions wasn't a lot to do with heskey's introduction in my opinion. In fact first half we created numerous chances and were unlucky not to score. It all went a bit flat after the goals but thats not a moan just an observation .

Criticising Michael was a Bit harsh (rse) as he won a penalty , hit the post and created the second ???

Anyone know if Henchoz was injured or whether it was tactical ?
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon May 03, 2004 12:38 am

A good result.

We must win all these last few games.

:)  :)  :)
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Mon May 03, 2004 12:53 am

Dalglish wrote:A good entertaining game and a well deserved 3 Pts against a tough opposition especially when they play Away as their away record proves. The fact we scored twice withing 8 mins of the second half sustitutions wasn't a lot to do with heskey's introduction in my opinion. In fact first half we created numerous chances and were unlucky not to score. It all went a bit flat after the goals but thats not a moan just an observation .

Criticising Michael was a Bit harsh (rse) as he won a penalty , hit the post and created the second ???

Anyone know if Henchoz was injured or whether it was tactical ?

So Heskey's goal wasn't anything to do with him being substituted on? :P

Yeah, I think Henchoz did get an injury, lets hope not too bad.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon May 03, 2004 12:58 am

Hi XSD, this is NOT a dig but was you there today ?

I only ask cos if you was you would have surely noticed how many chances and opportunities we created first half. All I was saying is that LFC started the second half in the same vein as the first and thnkfully stuck a few early chances away.

I'm not havinga  go at Heskey or Gh but inspired substitution it wasn't.
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon May 03, 2004 1:37 am

Yea Daglish, Henchoz had picked up a groin injury just after halftime. Hopefully, it wasn't to serious and he'll be back fit against Birimgham who are a pretty good side... :)
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Mon May 03, 2004 1:42 am

Thanks for that chiggz, we was wondering at beginning of second half whether GH wanted to keep Carra on but move him central to make way for Finnon cos of his more attacking style but it din't make sense. Hencoz had done nothing wrong and we thought he is not going to be happy to make way for a tactical change .................

Brum wil prove to be as difficult to break downa s Boro were today but also they have alittle more up front so could be the banana skin , hopefuly not but keep watch on Villa who play Soton Away then a probablw weakened Man U (On account of the Cup Final the folowing week) on the alst day of the season. It would be a heartbreak to draw with Newcastle and watch Villa leapfrog us both for 4th !!!!! :O
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Mon May 03, 2004 11:39 am

Dalglish wrote:Hi XSD, this is NOT a dig but was you there today ?

I only ask cos if you was you would have surely noticed how many chances and opportunities we created first half. All I was saying is that LFC started the second half in the same vein as the first and thnkfully stuck a few early chances away.

I'm not havinga  go at Heskey or Gh but inspired substitution it wasn't.

I saw the whole game on tele, so with replays and camera angles I probably had a better view than you.
I saw Kewell have some chances, Owen hit the frame. I think Owen played more possitively with Heskey on the field, second goal was a demonstration of how well they work together.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sammy lee's handbag » Mon May 03, 2004 12:13 pm

a win is a win and it's points in the bag. at this stage of the season I'll settle for that (and two more wins!) the priority is to get a champions league place so we are in a position to be able to buy quality before the end of the season, regardless of who is managing the club.
sammy lee's handbag

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon May 03, 2004 12:19 pm

A good frist half, we started very brightly, but, again went flat and looked dvoid of ideas. I was there yesterday and apart from the four minutes involving the goals the second half performance was pathetic. I cant blame the players because that was possibly the best side we could have out at the moment. Its the system thats at fault. Houllier insists on shutting up shop at 2-0 rather than entertaining us and more importantly, getting our goal difference up so it acts aas a point extra at the end of season. Still need far more from our games.
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon May 03, 2004 5:09 pm

I saw the whole game on tele, so with replays and camera angles I probably had a better view than you.

That boll##ks.

You get a better view of the game at the ground. Any idiot who says differently hasn't ever been to a Liverpool match.

End of.

I cant blame the players because that was possibly the best side we could have out at the moment. Its the system thats at fault. Houllier insists on shutting up shop at 2-0 rather than entertaining us and more importantly, getting our goal difference up so it acts aas a point extra at the end of season. Still need far more from our games.

What are you on?

When you're 2-0 up you shut up shop and try and hit teams on the break. You don't carry on attacking as the game can still go either way if you aren't careful.

Its not about being entertained... its about winning games. We won, shut your moaning you pathetic mindless whinghing arsewhole!!
115-1073096938

Postby murphy0151 » Mon May 03, 2004 6:57 pm

stu is it the time off the month there lad or what laa :laugh:

Anyone want a pee buttie like?
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion