Pongolle maybe out on loan

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby mighty mo » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:12 pm

we should groom him as a right winger,he has all the attributes to be a good winger,speed and trickery and a eye for goal
mighty mo
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:54 pm

pongolle has scored for the reserves again tonight. currently 1-1.
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:04 pm

I know some of you wouldnt agree, but i think we should give him some real time to get better with more playing time and using him for as our 4th striker until the christmas window opens( i really doubt owen will leave to anyone but us this sumer) and if he doesnt work out, we can buy a striker. I think he just needs more experience to grow as a player. He would of had alot last season until he got injured and you might be saying something different. If we are willing to give someone else on the team a chance, why cant we give pongolle one.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:07 pm

I agree with CRA, and I think Benitez rates him so I don't think Benitez will let him go on a loan.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ciggy » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:09 pm

Pongo has to stay, he can play in cup games and be our Super sub in big games :buttrock
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:11 pm

Pongolle can be our Wright-Phillips......... what? Did I just pull a Houllier?
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:17 pm

A.B. wrote:Pongolle can be our Wright-Phillips......... what? Did I just pull a Houllier?

But see alot of it is confidence and if he has a few bad games on the wing with rafa giving him a chance, then his confidence is going to go down. I wouldnt put him directly into the wing. I would still put him up front, and at practice let the lad (with special attention from rafa) play on the wing. I think that is what he needs, some 1 on 1 with rafa. This would set the grounds for the wing, and in a couple of games building that confidence playing in centre and maybe scoring a goal or two. He could then try him on the wing, and pongolle would be better prepaired for it.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:53 pm

I don't see the point in farming out Pongolle to Aberdeen to be honest.  He was starting to show some real promise last season before he got injured and after the injury problems we had last season, we shouldn't run the risk of letting the squad get too thin this time around.  We will certainly need Pongolle at some point, whether that be up front or on the wing, for the domestic cups at least.

What would he really gain from playing in Scotland anyway?  The SPL is probably a weaker league than the championship these days, so even if he went to the SPL and played a blinder, we still wouldn't have learned too much about whether he's going to make a good player or not.

I say keep him, he is a better prospect than Mellor, Le Tallec, Welsh etc.  Give him a go at right wing when he's fit.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red or dead » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:51 pm

there is no point shiping pongo out to another club he has the potential to do well this season if given the chance i would rather see mellor go.
red or dead

Postby bland_flabbis » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:30 am

john craig wrote:I don't see the point in farming out Pongolle to Aberdeen to be honest.  He was starting to show some real promise last season before he got injured and after the injury problems we had last season, we shouldn't run the risk of letting the squad get too thin this time around.  We will certainly need Pongolle at some point, whether that be up front or on the wing, for the domestic cups at least.

What would he really gain from playing in Scotland anyway?  The SPL is probably a weaker league than the championship these days, so even if he went to the SPL and played a blinder, we still wouldn't have learned too much about whether he's going to make a good player or not.

I say keep him, he is a better prospect than Mellor, Le Tallec, Welsh etc.  Give him a go at right wing when he's fit.

Come on, fair enough Celtic were an embarrassment in the CL this year, but it's only two years ago they made the UEFA cup final and were defeated in extra time by Jose's Porto side that was virtually unchanged the next season when they won the CL (and with hindsight we can see what a tremendous team it was - Carvalho, Costinha, Maniche etc - though it didn't get much credit at the time). I can't for the life of me imagine a championship side doing that, or making the CL as Rangers will do this year. Also, this season will show that the gap between the Old Firm and the rest of the SPL is the smallest it's been in years, Aberdeen beat Rangers last week and Hearts are 3 points clear at the top of the table. The standard is a lot higher than it was in the mid-1990's, of course there are better championship sides, but I don't think most of the SPL would be out their league in the championship and Rangers and Celtic (maybe Hearts) would be right up the top.
bland_flabbis

Postby Kincorth Rules - Aberdeen » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:46 am

Give him to us and he will start every game. He will be the best player in SPL and you will get first dibs for super scot Zander Diamond.
Kincorth Rules - Aberdeen

Postby A.B. » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:56 am

The Scottish League is a sh1t league, and if Pongolle went there he would necesseraly improve. I think he will stay because if we loan him out then we would be cutting our striker options even more. Cisse,Crouch,Morientes,Mellor[not really reliable] so really it's only 3 strikers.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:44 am

Kincorth Rules - Aberdeen wrote:Give him to us and he will start every game. He will be the best player in SPL and you will get first dibs for super scot Zander Diamond.

S'all very well mate but does this Diamond fella live up to his name or what? I've heard really good reports but never seen him play. It's a little worrying if he's ever going to make it on a real big stage (and sorry if I sound patronising about Aberdeen and the SPL, it's genuinely not my intention) that one of the big two haven't signed him yet. Have they tried to in the past mate? Does he play for Scotland, indeed is he Scottish and what's the score with a name like Zander? Like the song says, there are more questions than answers.
He has been mentioned as a potential signing on and off for about two ytears on various Liverpool message boards so the kid must have something.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Donsrno1 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:27 am

bigmick - Zander (real name Alexander) looks to be a really good player but just needs to work on his game a little and he could become a star.  Last season there was talk of the Athletico Madrid being interested in him (as a future player) and in the summer there was some talk of Celtic coming in for him but appparently he wants to stay with Aberdeen to help further his ability (far too many young scots have been ruined by moves to the old firm too early).  A lot of dons fans felt he dropped in his standard of play towards the tail end of last season and some feel he is still below his best at the moment but there is little doubt that when he is playing well (which will come with some confidence) he is a hell of a player.

He's certainly not ready for the premiership yet but I think that a few years down the line he will be at that standard - whether he would be good enough for liverpool is another question  but TBH there is no way of knowing exactly how he will develop but he certainly has the potential.
Donsrno1

Postby Kincorth Rules - Aberdeen » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:30 pm

Donsrno1 wrote:bigmick - Zander (real name Alexander) looks to be a really good player but just needs to work on his game a little and he could become a star.  Last season there was talk of the Athletico Madrid being interested in him (as a future player) and in the summer there was some talk of Celtic coming in for him but appparently he wants to stay with Aberdeen to help further his ability (far too many young scots have been ruined by moves to the old firm too early).  A lot of dons fans felt he dropped in his standard of play towards the tail end of last season and some feel he is still below his best at the moment but there is little doubt that when he is playing well (which will come with some confidence) he is a hell of a player.

He's certainly not ready for the premiership yet but I think that a few years down the line he will be at that standard - whether he would be good enough for liverpool is another question  but TBH there is no way of knowing exactly how he will develop but he certainly has the potential.

Hey, if Jimmy wasnt lying and he did help develop Jaap Stam and Liverpool's own Sami Hypia then well He will be a heck of a player when he matures.
Kincorth Rules - Aberdeen

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion