Playing two wide players - A good option?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:01 pm

JoeTerp wrote:two years ago the left was usually someone like Riise, not exactly an out and out winger

But he was somebody who wanted to be out wide, and a natural left footer - which is a bonus in my opinion if you want genuine natural width.
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:10 pm

Bad Bob wrote:On the issue of Torres, Keane and Kuyt starting to do a lot more interchanging, I think we saw that on Saturday when Kuyt started getting into the box through the middle during our best spell of the second half (was involved in both goals, along with Keane and Torres...obviously).  Last night we saw more of the same, only this time it seemed as though the plan was to have Torres pop up on the right touchline a fair bit, with Kuyt working the right channel, Keane in the centre of the area and Riera lurking at the back stick.  Obviously a weakness had been identified with respect to their LB and left-most CB because I doubt we would have seen Torres drifting so far away from his usual danger zone otherwise.  It's interesting how our attacking shape is developing in these past few games.

I think Kuyt is taking a bit of "stick " for moving inside, yet its only what Gerrard did when he played the role. It also allows you to arrive at a situation where you have three forwards against 2 cb's at times...... as we saw against Everton.
account deleted by request

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Jimmy the Weasel wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:two years ago the left was usually someone like Riise, not exactly an out and out winger

But he was somebody who wanted to be out wide, and a natural left footer - which is a bonus in my opinion if you want genuine natural width.

but Kuyt and Riera  or Pennant and Riise  is one thing.   Pennant and Riera is another.
JoeTerp

Postby JoeTerp » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:16 pm

Bad Bob wrote:On the issue of Torres, Keane and Kuyt starting to do a lot more interchanging, I think we saw that on Saturday when Kuyt started getting into the box through the middle during our best spell of the second half (was involved in both goals, along with Keane and Torres...obviously).  Last night we saw more of the same, only this time it seemed as though the plan was to have Torres pop up on the right touchline a fair bit, with Kuyt working the right channel, Keane in the centre of the area and Riera lurking at the back stick.  Obviously a weakness had been identified with respect to their LB and left-most CB because I doubt we would have seen Torres drifting so far away from his usual danger zone otherwise.  It's interesting how our attacking shape is developing in these past few games.

more evidence for the indispensability of Kuyt in our starting XI. You could not ask Yossi or Pennant to do the same things, possibly only Gerrard, but he is playing well in the middle, but Mascherano is fit again, and how in the world can you leave a player of his ability out of the side? Poor Rafa
JoeTerp

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:17 pm

s@int wrote:

I think Kuyt is taking a bit of "stick " for moving inside, yet its only what Gerrard did when he played the role. It also allows you to arrive at a situation where you have three forwards against 2 cb's at times...... as we saw against Everton.

To be fair to him as well, he's picking his moments.  Everton and PSV were both p!ss-poor opposition, offering very little going forward.  This gave Kuyt the freedom to move in off the wing and support the attack infield.  If we were being pinned back down the right flank I've no doubt that Dirk would be 'staying home' and harrying the oppo left back a lot more.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:54 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
s@int wrote:

To be fair to him as well, he's picking his moments.  Everton and PSV were both p!ss-poor opposition, offering very little going forward.  This gave Kuyt the freedom to move in off the wing and support the attack infield.  If we were being pinned back down the right flank I've no doubt that Dirk would be 'staying home' and harrying the oppo left back a lot more.

which is a good thing isnt it ? he managed to keep evra pretty quiet in the manc game . the they the front 4 are working to me looks pretty balanced at the moment and seems to be working well with all four contributing .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion