Players that bomb

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bam » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:25 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bam wrote:Collyflower bombed.

He was a gifted and talented player, its a shame really the dogging get was mentally unstable.

Best left midfielder/winger at this club in the last ten years.

He was a striker. ?

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:36 am

Cisse - the signing that was touted for a good 12 montht+ before we actually signed him and any deal was agreed. Reputation for being an explosive centre-forward with bags of pace and power in his repertoire, sounded like exactly what we needed.

He had (has?) all the attributes we heard about, but sadly not the brains to actually apply them on the pitch as it turned out. Huge disappointment.

I never expected Morientes to do that much - yeh he had a reputation and standing in the game behind him, but he'd been playing for Monaco where he scored a paltry number of goals in the French league, and only really seemed to turn it in on  the CL, when he had a point to prove on the biggest stage having been farmed out on loan by Madrid.
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:43 am

Bam wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Bam wrote:Collyflower bombed.

He was a gifted and talented player, its a shame really the dogging get was mentally unstable.

Best left midfielder/winger at this club in the last ten years.

He was a striker. ?

I know, but when he was on the left and drifted out there he was awesome.

The goal against Newcastle, coming in late on the back post "Collymore closing In !" was the epitome of it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:48 am

For me this one is easy. It's Stan Collymore. I'm not saying he bombed in particular, but he certainly didn't live up to the hype and the potential surrounding him.

Had all the talent in the world. Two footed, quick, strong, scored goals. Infact at the time I called him the English Ronaldo. Him and Fowler were unstoppable for two seasons but then for some reason his problems off the pitch started to affect his game and he never really recovered.

Amazing to think that when we signed him for £8.5m that was the British transfer record. :oh:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:40 am

Collymore ironically was a slow starter in his career, wasn't he at Southend and Palace in the lower leagues before joining Forest?

One of the best performances I have seen in a league game was back in thr 93/94 season when Forest beat Man U 2-1 at the City Ground and Collymore absolutely MURDERED Utd.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:44 am

Actually probably the best current example of a player who started off as a bit of a laughing stock but slowly improved as his career went on to become one of the best defenders in the league is Richard Dunne. When he was at Everton he was so big and akward he was known as the "Honeymonster", in his early Man City days he was as infamous at Titus Bramble for errors but over the last 3 or 4 seasons he shed his excess weight, radically improved his concentration and reading of the game and to me he's now probably the most underrated defender in the Premiership.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:54 am

JBG wrote:Actually probably the best current example of a player who started off as a bit of a laughing stock but slowly improved as his career went on to become one of the best defenders in the league is Richard Dunne. When he was at Everton he was so big and akward he was known as the "Honeymonster", in his early Man City days he was as infamous at Titus Bramble for errors but over the last 3 or 4 seasons he shed his excess weight, radically improved his concentration and reading of the game and to me he's now probably the most underrated defender in the Premiership.

i think you got the wrong thread  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Jimmy the Weasel » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:06 pm

stmichael wrote:For me this one is easy. It's Stan Collymore. I'm not saying he bombed in particular, but he certainly didn't live up to the hype and the potential surrounding him.

Had all the talent in the world. Two footed, quick, strong, scored goals. Infact at the time I called him the English Ronaldo. Him and Fowler were unstoppable for two seasons but then for some reason his problems off the pitch started to affect his game and he never really recovered.

Amazing to think that when we signed him for £8.5m that was the British transfer record. :oh:

I remember something like a month after we signed him he did an interview in 4-4-2 magazine criticising the club for buying him without a clear idea of how to play him to make best use of him... nice timing Stan!
Jimmy the Weasel

Postby burjennio » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:32 pm

Fernando Morientes and Harry Kewell are miles ahead of everyone else. One of them just couldnt adapt to the pace of the game but was a goal machine everywhere else he played, and one of them was happy to sit on a treatment room table for 11 months of the season, sporadically healing to play international tournaments.
burjennio

Postby JBG » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:00 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
JBG wrote:Actually probably the best current example of a player who started off as a bit of a laughing stock but slowly improved as his career went on to become one of the best defenders in the league is Richard Dunne. When he was at Everton he was so big and akward he was known as the "Honeymonster", in his early Man City days he was as infamous at Titus Bramble for errors but over the last 3 or 4 seasons he shed his excess weight, radically improved his concentration and reading of the game and to me he's now probably the most underrated defender in the Premiership.

i think you got the wrong thread  :D

Aye, been on the grog again shipmate!  :pirate
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby metalhead » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Morientes was a quality player before he joined us, unfortunately his lack of self belief and confidence to adapt in the premiership let him down a lot

really dissapointed  :(
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:39 pm

unlike others I didn't really expect that much from morientes... he was already 29 if I'm not wrong and for a foreign player to adapt to a new style and a new league at his 'twilight' age was always gonna be hard. I was disappointed but I wasn't really surprised... same goes for shevchenko... similar cases...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:00 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Jean Alain Boumsong, the new Thuram at Rangers, discovered to be one of the worst premiership defenders of all time.

Weren't we meant to have signed him? Thank f*ck we didn't. That was a near miss of epic proportions.

Players that bombed? Hmm, hopefully none. The CIA will be onto us.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Jean Alain Boumsong, the new Thuram at Rangers, discovered to be one of the worst premiership defenders of all time.

Weren't we meant to have signed him? Thank f*ck we didn't. That was a near miss of epic proportions.

Players that bombed? Hmm, hopefully none. The CIA will be onto us.

Sod Hyypia and Carra .... we could have had Traore and Boumsong .......... the title would have been ours  :sniffle

If only we could have afforded Bramble as well
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:48 am

Bobby Robson bought Bramble from Ipswich after he'd grabbed a few headlines bombing forward getting goals.

He certainly didn't get noticed for defending.
Last edited by Effes on Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion