Players that bomb

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:52 pm

Kewell still remains the biggest disppointment for me.

In his Leeds days he was superb, it's easy to forget how good he was at one point, and he could have gone to nearly any top club in Europe at the time.  Started reasonably well for us despite Houllier inexplicably playing him on the right wing, but the rest is history.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:53 pm

Anelka. I just cannot see what others see with the guy while he was here. People were begging for us to sign him but even on loan, as a striker, he was poor. He may have hit the right notes in other ways, but so does kuyt. As a striker, he was poorer than Kuyt.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:03 am

Remember Paul Stewart :no
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:46 am

Reg wrote:Its easier to do it Sabres way and mention the good ones !!

:D
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:57 am

Kharhaz wrote:
GYBS wrote:Dudek - Looked a rock at first and was outstanding when first arrived then couple of errors just seemed to suck any ability and confidence out of him , played a blinder in the 05 final but that was more of a one off.

I would discount Dudek. Me personally I never heard of him when he was signed. We also signed Kirkland, and many, including myself expected Kirkland to No.1 with Dudek the stand in. Dudek was brilliant for us but unfortunately only his last season or so is remembered.

Agreed although it must be said those last few games he played for us were some of the worst displays by a keeper ive ever seen.
I was amazed when madrid signed him.

But its only fair to point out he was amazing in that league cup win agaist the mancs, and that other cup he helped us win.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:00 am

Fo Dne wrote:
GYBS wrote:In the total opposite of what Sabre has started which players that you initally rated and thought would become great players ended up letting you down so to say .

Baros- Started off great , scored a fair number of goals went to euro 2004 and was superb for the czechs but just never seemed to kick on .

Speedy - Looked great in La Liga , pace to burn with a decent shot on him and could easily take on a man , scored early on but never ever fullfilled any potential he seemed to have

Dudek - Looked a rock at first and was outstanding when first arrived then couple of errors just seemed to suck any ability and confidence out of him , played a blinder in the 05 final but that was more of a one off.

It really annoyed me that people were fooled by Baros. It was crystal clear.

Just as it was with Kuyt.

He runs looking at the ball, never lifts his head untill he`s run it straight out.
He`s the only player who would look and play exactly the same if you fitted him with blinkers.
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:12 am

s@int wrote:Nigel Clough...... 2 goals on his debut, looked the perfect replacement for Beardsley, sadly never lived up to his reputation.

I remember that, wednesday wasnt it, was it the same season he scored two when we came back from 3 nil down agaist the mancs?

Ive got all those seasons scores and scorers with the time of the goal too in match or shoot (footy mags) diarys, along with comments of course.
You want to see the comments after Fowler put five past Fullam (away?) after scoring his first agaist them on his debut in the first leg.
I do remember writing " he`s going to be massive and I dont mean in height", I was only a young lad.. fkin right though eh.
Pitty we didnt have forums back then. :D
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:17 am

NANNY RED wrote:Remember Paul Stewart :no

Yup 2.5mill too, Souness only signed him because at that point there wasnt enough players with perms.
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:55 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Reg wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
Reg wrote:90% of rafa´s Luis Garcia bombed ?

Miki Roque the rock upon which two youth cup winning teams has been built has bombed ?

Righty Ho.

Leon, I dont get to see as many games as you lads but whilst some of Luis'  tricks were magic, I wouldnt consider him to be 1st X1 material.

Miki Roque, youth team or whatever - I've never heard of him so how does he qualify as being a solid buy?

Difference of opinion of interpretation of the original point.  :eyebrow
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:54 am

Reg wrote:Miki Roque, youth team or whatever - I've never heard of him so how does he qualify as being a solid buy?

This is interesting reasoning. Pre-requisite to be considered as a solid buy is you must be aware of them? Even if you don't get watch many games?

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:24 am

Titus Bramble :D , he was very highly rated when he was younger some said he would develop into one of the best defenders of all time when he was younger . Major disappointment
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:39 am

jonnymac1979 wrote:I'm pleased to see Pongolle doing well for himself but a part of me wishes that we should have waited at least a year or two longer.  Particularly because we signed Voronin albeit on a free and didn't get much dough for Pongolle.  The lad looks like an athlete now, he's put some muscle on and scores regularly, plus he's just been capped by France.

A number of Houllier's signings were never going to be given much of a chance under Rafa, especially the younger ones. Rafa may have all but entirely cleaned out Houllier's signings, Kewell and Finnan have gone and only Hyypia, Gerrard and Carra remain of whom only Hyypia was signed.

So players like Pongolle never got even half a fair chance, unlike Baros, Cisse etc. He scored some pretty important goals for someone who started only 1/3 of his games for Liverpool and scored nine goals

Florent Sinama Pongolle

Appearances : 63
As sub : 41 (65.08%)
Goals : 9

Pon-Goal

Under Houllier

1 vs Leeds Utd. 25/10/03 Home : W3-1.
1 vs Bolton. 26/12/03 Home : W3-1

Under Benitez

1 vs Tottenham. 01/12/04 Away : D1-1. League Cup, Pongolle scored a penalty in extra time and Liverpool won 4-3 on penalties

1 vs Olympiakos. 08/12/04 Home : W3-1. Pongolle opened the scoring in THE crucial game, remembered for the glory of progressing and Gerrard's goal, but Pongolle and Mellor also scored or Gerrard's goal would not have been quite as dramatic or well remembered. Liverpool won the Champions League

1 vs West Brom. 26/12/04 Away : W5-0.

1 vs Southampton. 28/12/04 Home : W1-0. The winner

1 vs Real Betis. 13/09/05 Away : W2-1. Pongolle scored very early, Luis Garcia added a second around 12 mins later and Liverpool held on for a valuable away win.

2 vs Luton Town. 07/01/06 Away : W5-3. Liverpool were 1-3 down in the 53rd minute and Pongolle came on in the 57th minute to turn the game on its head. He scored first, then he and Alonso took turns to score and avoid humiliation. Liverpool won the FA Cup, but for Pongolle we would have crashed at the first hurdle. Again this game will probably be more remembered for a different reason - Alonso's goal from his own half

Bellamy scored nine goals in 42 appearances, 32 were starts so that's the same number of goals but in 11 more starts.

Pongolle's goals were often crucial, aided Liverpool in important wins - the fifth European Cup and a big hand in keeping Liverpool in the FA Cup which they won. The only thing we've won since is the Community Shield. The only unimportant goal he scored under Rafa was in the 5-0 drubbing of West Brom, Liverpool never lost when Pongolle scored.

You're right, we shouldn't have cast him off so readily. Of all Houllier's next Zidanes, Henrys, Vieiras etc, Pongolle was the one who could have made a career at Anfield. He would never get that chance, like a lot of managers Rafa wants his own players and only the very best could survive - Pongolle was ousted before he could prove himself
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:46 am

Jermaine Pennant!
I thought he was gonna be a success for us.When you look at the impact Riera has had after a handful of games compared to Pennant it becomes clear that Pennant is a flop.
Riera has done more for LFC so far than Pennant has in his whole time here!

Morientes as well for obvious reasons,I also expected more from Cisse..the laziest striker we ever signed!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bam » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:56 am

Collyflower bombed.

He was a gifted and talented player, its a shame really the dogging get was mentally unstable.

Forum Discourse
Bam
LFC Super Member

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:20 am

Bam wrote:Collyflower bombed.

He was a gifted and talented player, its a shame really the dogging get was mentally unstable.

Best left midfielder/winger at this club in the last ten years.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion