Players ratings for the season

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Tue May 19, 2009 12:21 pm

DrPepe wrote:
peewee wrote:
stmichael wrote:
peewee wrote:
stmichael wrote:
peewee wrote:I thought it was a joke thread when I saw you gave kuyt a higher score than torres and the same score as alonso and gerrard

Jesus. Give it a f#ckin rest will ya?

He's got the goals this season that validates his shirt. 15 plus goals from that position with the work he puts in takes some doing.

There's only Ronaldo gets anything like that from wide areas.

Do you rate his contribution this season to be on a par with Gerrard?

Why do people always go on about his work rate? sometimes they show the yardage run during a game and his is always less than gerrard, alonso and masch, the fact is he has to work harder to retrieve the ball from his dire first touch.

Also not all his goals have from the wide position

Your missing the point.

Is it best player of the season or best player of the season considering our expectations of them in August? The thing is we expect Gerrard to produce what he has this season because his standards are so high.

If it's the latter then Kuyt is the clear winner, followed by Benayoun. Given his goalscoring feats this season noone could level criticism that he hasn't offered enough going forward and his effort and consistency is well documented.

I have no idea why people consistently undervalue his performances just because he tracks back well, yet seem to ignore everything else because of that.

Oh, so if gerrard is four times the player kuyt is, but kuyt improves so gerrard is only three times the player kuyt is, then kuyt should be our player of the season, punishing gerrard because he is consistently good?

yeah good logic there mick   :Oo:

I have never doubted his effort, I have doubted his ability, he does not have the ability of gerrard and to be honest I doubt he has put the effort in that gerrard has

personally i think kuyt (and alonso)  have been far more consistent than gerrard this season, even taking into account injuries etc

kuyt obviously not as talented as gerard, but you know what you get with him - and you basically get that performance 9 times out of ten

:bowdown
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue May 19, 2009 12:39 pm

My ratings:

Reina: 8.  Has broadly done well, but has made a few errors which means it hasn't been his very best season for me. Still a top goalkeeper though.

Arbeloa: 7. He gets the same score in every match, which is a seven. As consistent as you like, and a good pro. Deserves better than Carra standing over him looking like he's going to blow a gasket. I like him.

Carra: 8. Still our best defender by a mile which is worry as he's clearly not quite what he was a year or two back. Decent season though from our spiritual captain.

Skyrtel: 6.5. Has had good games, and continues to impress with his ball carrying ability which is oddly good for a centre half. My fear is though that he will never reach his full potential because of his ball watching affliction, and I suspect if we're serious about being a top team we'll need better.

Aurelio: 6.5. Has proven beyond doubt that he's a smashing left full back when fit, and my suspicion is that if he ever puts in a full season he'll go past evra as being the best left back in the league. Sadly, my suspicion is also that the hopes of him going a full season without injury are slim.

Dossena: 4.5. A mile away from being good enough IMHO.

Insua: 5.5. A lot to learn and doesn't appear to have the tools to develop into a World beater, but the role of good solid back-up looks to be well within his compass.

Deggan: 1. To be perfectly honest if he walked in the shop tomorrow and bought a blow up doll I wouldn't recognise the fella. He may already have done so for all I know, it's not like he'd be missed at Melwood or anything. That said and in all seriousness, I feel a bit sorry for the bloke. I am as well begining to get quite curious to see if he will ever be fit enough to actually play.

Agger: 6. Lovely footballer but as by all accounts he's been hanging out with dreamers in Gangsters, or is it hanging out with gangsters in dreamers feck knows, he'll never get to where he can be. I rate him higher than Skyrtel, but I have a feeling he is still short of where he was until his injury/someone broke his feet. Probably just needs a good kick up the b0ll0cks, most young fellas need that from time to time.

Riera: 6.5. As mentioned previously, he's flattered to decieve a bit. Good player though and hopefully he can kick on next season.

Babel: 4. At risk of being "shtopped" in my tracks by a host of Babelians, I have to say he's lucky to get a 4. He has gone backwards apace.

Alonso: 9. Would walk into any other team in the Premiership, has had an immense season and has well and truly put to bed any notion anyone had that he was playing abnywhere near his best in the last two seasons. Has been like a new player, and how those TV clowns can rate Michael Carrick as better than him is an indictment on their knowledge of assocation football.

Masherano: 7.5. It's been the difficult second album period for Mash. IMHO he needs to rediscover what it is he's actually trying to do, I don't like the way he's going about his business. One of these days I'll start a new thread on him and explain what I mean, it'll have a long topic opener, nobody will bother their erse reading it (I don't blame them) and all will be good with the World.

Kuyt: 7.5. Maximised his potential, and his goals have covered up for some of his other deficiencies. He runs around a lot, and is an integral part of the team. Fair play to him, and he's proved many a poster wrong, including me. I'm not sure I buy into the theory which says if the Mancs sell Ronaldo he'll be the best right midfieler in the Premiership, but he's definately in the top six or seven.

Lucas: 5. It's looking to me like he will make a footballer, but i don't think it'll be in the Prem. that said, he isn't a bad fourth choice.

Gerrard: 9.5. Absolutely imperious, the best player in the Premiership this season. I would have given him a 10, but he got injured a couple of times.

Torres: 8.5. Would be a 9.5 but for the injuries. An absolutely wonderful player.

Benayoun: 7. An excellent second half of the season and is the original 'options and Possibilitis" player. Unfortunately for him, I don't think he can count "first team regular" amongst his long list of options, and nor do I think it's particularly possible either.

N'Gog: 5. I don't think he's nearly good enough.

Keane: 5. Impossible to rate really as he wasn't given a good go. Clearly we paid too much for him, and equally clearly the fairly revolutionary method of helping a player to settle, namely each time you score two goals we'll drop you, still needs a bit of work. Based on his performaces though, he is barely level with N'Gog, despite obviously being a much better player.

Anyways there you go.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue May 19, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 pm

Thank you very much Mick , very good well thought out post and the sort of reply i was looking for when i started the thread - Totally forgot about Degen - i guess thats not hard :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SupitsJonF » Tue May 19, 2009 1:30 pm

Even though Kuyt has had a great season, I still wouldn't put it on par with Alonsos.  Maybe in terms of, "How much did this player improve" him and Alonso can be equal.  But I just can't see their performances both beeing nines this season.  I'd give Kuyt a 7.5-8, 9 if he was the one to stand up and make a difference against Stoke.

Next year though  :angry:  :angry:
SupitsJonF

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue May 19, 2009 2:47 pm

kazza wrote:
peewee wrote:Now where is my wife, I really must check her for a penis, not noticed one in the past 7 years, I wonder where she hides it    :wwww

She is probably saying the same about you  :laugh:

first funny thing you have said in 5 years    :D
112-1077774096

Postby GYBS » Tue May 19, 2009 2:55 pm

The one thing that stands out from looking at the list is the lack of attacking quality coming off the bench - Namely Babel,Ngog and Yossi - thats the area that manure are ahead of us on - Add a couple maybe even just one more reall quality attacking player to the squad and the options become so much better .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Reina 8 - as good as anything in the prem but still makes bad mistakes in BIG games

Arbeloa 6 - Solid but not quite good enough in my opinion.... would be a great squad player, but shouldn't be our first choice.

Aurelio 6 - done much better this season than I expected. Still gets caught out defensively on occasion and could do with a little more pace, but has show a definate improvement.

Carra  7 - a couple of bad mistakes but I think it has been a more difficult season for our defenders. More changes than usual at the back and with Masch struggling early on and Alonso going forward more the defence has had to do a little more work and has on occasion been found wanting.

Skrtel  6 - Had a great start to the season and looked like he could be the answer to our prayers. Since his injury he hasn't looked quite the same player and has infact looked a liability on occasion. Ball watches and dives in a little too much.

Riera 6 - given the team balance and has good passing and ball control, but faded badly and unfortunately just doesn't have enough going forward to frighten anyone. We need better!

Masch 7 - Had an awful start to the campaign, but has got better and better as the season has gone on.  Second half of the season he would be getting an 8.

Alonso 8 - Has had a great season and has looked back to his best.......despite some trying to deny he had been struggling for 2 years lol. Still finds it difficult to play under pressure, but stepping forward more has helped make it more difficult for opponents.

Gerrard 9 - Outstanding season again from our Captain. Goals goals goals and but for injuries could have finished top scorer this season.

Torres 7 - Not looked quite the same player this season, as recovering from injuries have taken their toll, but hopefully will be back to his best for next season. 

Kuyt 7 - not as bad as some make out, but not as good as others seem to believe. Has earned his place this season though, and has got a good tally of goals. Still costs us a lot of chances though, as a lot of moves break down when the ball reaches him.   

Benayoun  7 - really started to look like a player this season. I never rated him overly much previously, but this season he has started to look the part. I don't think he will ever be a regular, but has made the most of the opportunities he has been given and deserves to stay.

Babel -4 Flatters to deceive. No heart, no brain, no chance. We should be looking to offload him as soon as we can.

Lucas -5 Better than a lot think. Plays much better when partnered with Masch rather than Alonso. Needs to step up next season or it will be his last...... but I would keep him (for now!) Shows occasional glimpses of the talent at brought him to us, just needs to show it much more often now.

Ngog 4 - I have neither been impressed or disappointed with him(I didn't expect much  :D ) No where near good enough this season.

Insua  5 -Lots of promise, but not quite ready yet..... next season could be a big one for him given the chance.

Dossenna  4 -  A couple of goals can't hide how bad he has looked this season, never really looked the part and I would be looking to offload him if possible.

Agger 6 - Probably my most disappointing player of the season (my expectations where high) Injuries and a reluctance by Rafa to pick him(?) have ruined his season. I have high hopes that next season he will be a regular starter again.

SAMMI HYYPIA - LEGEND - never let us down always looked fit and eager to play. Maybe should have been used a little more than he has this season , but when he has played has shown the class that we have taken for granted over the years....... will be sorely missed.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue May 19, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby GYBS » Tue May 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Nice to see you back saint
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Tue May 19, 2009 3:22 pm

s@int wrote:Reina 8 - as good as anything in the prem but still makes bad mistakes in BIG games

i got absolutely slated for saying this on another forum earlier in the season  :angry:

If you think of his worst games they're basically:

2005ish Everton (A) we lost 3-0
2005ish Chelsea (A) sent off, we lose
FA cup final 2006, some very dodgy keeping, but did save us at the end
This season at united brought down Park
This season at chelsea , conceded at near post from Drogba

I love the guy and he doesn;'t make many mistakes (a great save at WBA this weekend   :cool: ), but they do seem to crop up in big games more than you'd expect ... he doesn;'t really seem the nervous type - very laid back so i'm not sure why it happens occasionally Image
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue May 19, 2009 3:24 pm

I think it happens to most keepers mate - they always have the odd mare - Pepes are far and few between - the worst game he had was against Everton that time when the whole game he was poor .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Tue May 19, 2009 3:28 pm

GYBS wrote:I think it happens to most keepers mate - they always have the odd mare - Pepes are far and few between - the worst game he had was against Everton that time when the whole game he was poor .

i know he doesn't have many , but they seem disproportionately more common in the BIG games....   :p
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue May 19, 2009 3:35 pm

Yeah but the other big games he has had a blinder as well - i reckon its more of the good performances in the big games compared to the poor ones .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Tue May 19, 2009 6:42 pm

Reina : Best in the Premiership, consistently good ,sadly genius is as they state  so often tinged with madness ,this would account for his     unpredictability in some high profile games .

Arbeloa : Strange one this, played at times this season with all the accomplishment you would expect from a Liverpool defender ,but tended to lose concentration in the latter stages of the season .

Aurelio proven to be a big plus in an attacking sense ,but defensively has some serious lapses of concentration ,no conviction in his tackling .

Carragher : Mr 100% will not give any less nor accept anything more than total devotion to the club (Take note Alvaro )I think the climax to the season physically drained Jamie .

Skrtel : Excellent before his injury ,returned a bit shaky ,but I believe the big Slovak will add more to his game next season and be an integral part of Liverpool's game .
Hyppia : In the games he has played done everything right should have been given more games ,once again the model professional (Legend)
Agger : Needs to put this season firmly behind him ,more a season of transgression rather than progression,has all the talent and composure needed to be one of the games greats .

Insua : Has had to curb his enthusiasm for surging forward ,and applied himself solely on the defensive side of his game ,and in having to adapt to this ,has quelled  the skills  which make him such a burgeoning talent ,but has proved an able deputy for Fabio

Dossena : His crosses have been exceptional ,pity his glaring ineptitude when defending has defined his game

Degan : I can only proffer one viable explanation, He's Rafa's Ski instructor.

Alonso : Imperious there is is not a single exponent of the Midfielders art ,who can claim to be as accomplished and as polished as Xabi ,close to perfect this season .

Mascherano : On his game deserves the tag Chief ,not consistent enough this season ,but a true midfield General following in the finest traditions

Gerrard : See Alonso, run out of superlatives for this man best Midfielder in Europe ,if not the world .

Lucas : Man of the Match in the Liverpool Echo yesterday ,and deserved it by some margin ,shown glimmers of true potential ,but seriously needs to raise his game next season ,not good enough this season ,and cost us a few points  with his naivety .

Kuyt : Could  not praise his fortitude and application enough ,the mans a veritable dynamo on the pitch ,who could quite easily supply the energy and power to run a small country ,delighted he's a Liverpool player .

Riera : Times this season has been totally unplayable ,looked every inch the obligatory mercurial winger ,and in others failed to show up literally ,needs to seriously raise the consistency of his game .

Babel : His demeanour on and off the pitch says it all (LOST) totally out of his depth as a winger and struggling to even resemble a competent Striker .

Benayoun : provides us with the air of unpredictability ,there is nothing a defender hates more than a player with the capabilities to twist and turn with consummate ease ,and Yossi has this in spades .

El Zhar : decent little player ,quick and tricky ,but needs to show more confidence .

Torres : Best in the World ,was born to score ,but his first touch at times is the source of much exasperation , if next season he adds this to his game Liverpool will be unbeatable ,I just wish the Euro's hadn't drained him and left him so susceptible to injury .

Keane : I thought his game suffered from the expectancy levels ,I think too much thought was put into his converting chances ,by himself  , Liverpool needed a striker who scored instinctively ,Keane was a thinker ,and I think although he stated publicly that the pressure wasn't   getting to him ,it quite clearly was .

Ngog : Shown true potential and no little skill ,but at this present time still too raw to be in our frontline  .

I haven't given a number as a rating ,its not something I am comfortable with ,I don't see how a number can define a players performance over the course of a season ...... (Too many pros and cons )
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue May 19, 2009 6:55 pm

peewee wrote:comedy gold, I will leave you to your right hand and maybe in future you actually read threads rather than assume what is written.

Get a couple of diazapan down your neck and you might cheer up a little    :D

Now where is my wife, I really must check her for a penis, not noticed one in the past 7 years, I wonder where she hides it    :wwww

It's right between your eyes, pee.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue May 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Kuyt a 9?

GYBS, was Kuyt as good as Gerrard and Alonso this season? Not in a million years, he was good at his best, he scored some important goals but his overall play was good, he had a torrid time in the first second half of the season. Giving him a 9 just shows your biased opinion towards him because the fact is you rate him so much as a player! Lets be realistic here, Kuyt deserves a 7, he was good at his best, but his limitation exposed him so much this season that it went unnoticed. I like him, I think he is a good player, with some good attributes.

Gerrard deserves a 10, he has been our best player this season without shadow of doubt, 23 goals and our top goal scorer. Followed by Alonso who was the most improved player this season and as well as showed his class again as he showed back in his first 2 seasons at anfield.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion