Player suggestions for next season - Time to look forward

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby terry66 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I think we all know that unless we sell, there will be little to spend. I think we need to look at homegrown players who would be proud to wear the shirt.
My suggestion and shoot me down if you want but:

Dorans (WBA)
Carrol (NUFC)
Cole (Chelsea)
Dawson (Spurs)

We have had to many average overseas players cost huge amounts.
terry66

Postby Penguins » Tue May 04, 2010 8:57 pm

Well, average homegrown players cost even more though
Bent, Nugent, Sidwell are prime examples.

Dawson(and any other player from top 6) would cost a kings ransom as none of them willingly would sell us anything but the plague maybe.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby terry66 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Bent has scored 20 odd goals though, they would have been handy this season.
terry66

Postby Penguins » Tue May 04, 2010 9:03 pm

Still not worth 20 million imo.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC ANIME » Tue May 04, 2010 9:17 pm

GK....Reina*New back up GK
RB....Johnson, M.kelly
CB....Carragher,Agger,Cahil,Luiz
LB....Agger,Luiz,Drethe

This will cure our defensive problems.... ATT I would swap Babel,Benny,Riera for Cole,Turan & Mata
We need one target man such as C.Cole or Dzeko and one fast paced player
LFC ANIME

Postby neil » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Diamanti from west ham would be a star for us under a different manager, go for duff, Scott Parker, try and pinch tevez, find a left back and we're laughin. I'd sell insua, benny, Lucas and kuyt. That's my opinion.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Penguins » Tue May 04, 2010 11:22 pm

neil wrote:Diamanti from west ham would be a star for us under a different manager, go for duff, Scott Parker, try and pinch tevez, find a left back and we're laughin. I'd sell insua, benny, Lucas and kuyt. That's my opinion.

I agree on most of what you say. If only it could be true... :)

A bit undecided on Diamanti though. Change Benny with Ngog on the sales list and I'll be all smiles for a week :)
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 04, 2010 11:43 pm

Penguins wrote:
Scottbot wrote:
Penguins wrote:Manure had such overflow of class last season.
Ronaldo, Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez!!!  All of who are class forwards. Only cost a cool 70-80 million....

We had Torres and not much else.

If manure loose a couple they have 2 top class forwards left which doesn't affect them that much.

We don't have that luxury.

Is correct, so i have to ask, if it's so bloody obvious to you, me and every other bugger that we're fooked if Torres get injured.

Why the hell did Rafa blow close to £20 million each on a full-back and an injured Italian Centre-Mid?

Well, he knew we needed a right back and we needed more english players.
Pompey owed us money for Crouch and Johnson was available.
As it seems now we are owing Pompey money! which means we might not have paid a penny last summer for Johnson or at least very little.
And besides Rafa said in an interview after the Johnson signing that he was expecting a couple of more signings. But then July came and the refinancing put a stop to that and nothing happened!

After Alonso was sold he got a fraction of that money to spend that summer so he had to find a club that was willing to accept a deal where a class player would be allowed to leave with 5 million paid up front. Not that many teams were interested, big surprise.
And what I know it was the medical team that estimated he'd be out a further 3 months. It isn't just Rafa's fault the injury was worse that expected.

Give me strength. If I have to hear one more time that "pompey owed us money for Crouch therefore blahdeblahdeblah......". What difference does it make? It's almost as if people who say it are tring to say that Johnson didn't in fact cost close to £20 million but was in fact closer £12-13 million. Whichever way you look at it, that money was owed to us and would have come our way. I don't see how it is even slightly relevant? Football transfers don't happen in lump sums, it seems it's fairly common for transfer fees to be paid over a given period of time.

and as for Aquilani, how many excuses can you make for the signing? You're speculating entirely about the breakdown of payments and almost seem to be painting a picture that he was about the only player out there we had a hope in actually getting. I don't particularly like it when Mick coins his own little phrases and then fires them at people because I think it can be a bit belittling but that sounds like a 'Rafapology' to me.

And as for the Alonso money, god only knows why we didn't take £20 million of of Madrid and got them to throw in the excellent Wesley Sneider (one of several players who was surplus to requirements) thrown into the deal.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Penguins wrote:Still not worth 20 million imo.

When has that stopped us!!!!
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Tue May 04, 2010 11:46 pm

As far as players go, lets assume that Rafa is staying and that there is a bit of money to spend.

- Simon Kjaer sounds like the type of player we need. A big strong centre-back who can be dominant in the air and ensure we get another 2-3 years out of Carra. Only problem is he seems to be flavour of the week so my guess is there will be a few big clubs in for him with more money than us + Champions League football next season. I'd be more inclined to go for Hangeland at Fulham. He is the heir apparent for Big Sami and a player we could have done with this past year. He's a big strong lad who reads the game well, great in the air, anticipates things, he is tidy in possession and perhaps most importantly, he is a more natural partner for Carra or Agger. I guess he would cost around £10 million to buy and I'd bet Arsenal would be sniffing around for him again this summer.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:47 am

Penguins wrote:
neil wrote:Diamanti from west ham would be a star for us under a different manager, go for duff, Scott Parker, try and pinch tevez, find a left back and we're laughin. I'd sell insua, benny, Lucas and kuyt. That's my opinion.

I agree on most of what you say. If only it could be true... :)

A bit undecided on Diamanti though. Change Benny with Ngog on the sales list and I'll be all smiles for a week :)

totally agree with diamanti. What a left peg hes got. You put this guy in a top team and im telling u heed be awesome. Alan hansen said this guy has got everything in his locker. Strength guile determination unbelievable technical ability and fanastic free-kicks. Whats babbel got a bit of speed. Plus we could get him for 5 million
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Wed May 05, 2010 8:55 am

Scottbot wrote:Give me strength. If I have to hear one more time that "pompey owed us money for Crouch therefore blahdeblahdeblah......". What difference does it make? It's almost as if people who say it are tring to say that Johnson didn't in fact cost close to £20 million but was in fact closer £12-13 million. Whichever way you look at it, that money was owed to us and would have come our way. I don't see how it is even slightly relevant? Football transfers don't happen in lump sums, it seems it's fairly common for transfer fees to be paid over a given period of time.

This. 

I'm sick of the "only had £5m initial payment" excuse.

Thats how nearly ALL transfers are made. That why we still owed spurs money when we sold robbie keane back to them. Thats why we portsmouth still owed us money from the crouch sale a year later etc etc. It is pretty standard that transfer fees are paid over the duration of the players contract with the bulk of the money coming in the first two years.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby brentd4 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:46 am

.                         reina

johnson         carra        dawson *        agger             

masch

v.d.vaart *                                       j. cole *

gerrard      aquilani

torres         

cavalieri
skrtel
g. cahill *
babel
benayoun
kuyt
zarate *
Last edited by brentd4 on Wed May 05, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brentd4

Postby LFC ANIME » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 pm

We're linked to Marko Pantelic from Ajax, aged 31... But I prefer the other Ajax forward Luis Alberto Suárez, aged 23.
LFC ANIME

Postby Fauxy » Wed May 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Alexis Sanchez being linked with us

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11800_6134092,00.html

Judging from trusty old youtube clips.. he seems like a younger version of Ronaldo with the amount of stepovers he's doing! Looks very skillful and fast, a natural winger.

Could be an interesting young talent...
Fauxy

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion