Player of the season so far - Interesting point!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby gato_busta » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

RedWolf35 wrote:Traore has been immense when picked

his positional play and calmness on the ball reminds me of Maldini at his best

with a few more games we would have conceded even less

Traore :D certainly a great contender for player of the season  :rasp
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby 73-1141222089 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:52 pm

I pray you're kidding mate.....

Traore???!!! The boy gives me a coronary everytime he's in the team..... Always worried that he'll get the collywobbles during the game....

1. Gerrard
2. Alonso
3. Carra
73-1141222089

Postby *_Ruthless_* » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:55 pm

1.Gerrard
2.Alonso
3.Finnan
4.Carra
5.Reina
*_Ruthless_*

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:55 pm

gato_busta wrote:

Traore :D certainly a great contender for player of the season  :rasp

Everyone else's maybe... :D
115-1073096938

Postby fivecups » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:05 pm

bigmick wrote:Our best player has been the player of the season. My suspicion is that while he remains a Liverpool player it will be forever thus. He is the best right-sided midfielder in the Premiership by a distance, despite the fact that he is percieved by most to be a central midfielder. He just happens to be the best central midfielder aswell. Were he to play regularly there, I honestly believe he could be the best right back aswell.
That people debate the issue just indicates that we all take him for granted sometimes. Enjoy him though because you are watching one of the Liverpool greats of this or any other era.
Thank God for Steven Gerrard, even though he was a bit of a numpty today.

Lol. Superbly put as usual Mick.

You could probably put left mid and striker in there as well.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedWolf35 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:07 pm

how dare you all mock Traore

:alien:

sorry I could not resist    feel drunk after that result

wow   still cannot believe it

:rasp
RedWolf35

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:14 pm

Stevie, Carra and Xabi for me.

Pepe is young player of the year IMO.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gato_busta » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:16 pm

For me it is Gerrard also. I started thinking about the players we have in the squad and who can replace them. Now for almost every player we have there is a player that can substitute them in their position. The thing is, there is only one player that can easily substitute any player on the team (well, maybe not Reina...) and that player is Gerrard. Also he is not only versatile, but is our current top scorer and a great leader for the team.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby Poolinc. » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:25 pm

Has to be Stevie followed by Carra, Finnan and Alonso!! Kewell defo improving with every game and will be in top 3 next season!
Poolinc.

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:35 pm

Carragher and Hyypia joint 1st place for their sheer dominance at the back 4 throughout the most part of the season, including the record breaking clean sheet run.

Finnan 2nd place. The most consistent right back in the Premiership.

Gerrard and Alonso 3rd place. Although Gerrard has been scoring an exceptional amount of goals, a fair bit of it has come from mediocre opposition. Has been dominant throughout, not as good as a season back, and things has petered out lately (Arsenal backpass, Everton sent off). Although can get better, Alonso is as consitent as ever, been trying to shoot from range more often too.

Sissoko young player of the year. Bags of talent, potentially the best defensive midfielder in the trade, a exception stamina, giving 110% every game. 

Kewell improvement of the year. Never could we guess that Harry Kewell can provide reminisince to his Leeds United years. Been exposing opposition backs more frequently and trying out effectively shots too. Starting to show his worth.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:14 pm

Gerrard without a doubt.  Unquestionably our best player and this season has been no different.

Started the season as a support striker in the shambolic 4-5-1 formation, then had a spell in the middle of the park, then did an excellent job on the right for a while.  Recently back in the centre after Momo's injury and back on the right today.  It's not as if he's even had a settled position this season and he's still managed to score 19 goals and out-score any of our strikers.  Top class.

What was he doing today though ???   Everyone has an off day I suppose.  But if we'd lost that game a lot more people would be giving him stick than they are, he lost the plot big time.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:27 pm

john craig wrote:What was he doing today though ???   Everyone has an off day I suppose.  But if we'd lost that game a lot more people would be giving him stick than they are, he lost the plot big time.

I think he was very frustrated that Pepe didn't find him with the relatively easy throw out which caused us to lose posession and Alonso to foul Kilbane. It wasn't a kick the ball away in the classic way in the sense that he wasn't disputing the decision or showing dissent, he was merely venting frustration. I thought the ref might have just had a word and left it.
Ultimately, one thing led to another and he lost his head I think. He was probably a touch unlucky though with the first yellow IMHO.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:31 pm

Lets not forget how good HYYPIA has been this season :nod

I can only remeber ONE REALLY bad game from him and only a few bad decisions.

Extraordinary player and still going strong.
Last edited by Liverpool 4 EVA on Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:36 pm

bigmick wrote:
john craig wrote:What was he doing today though ???   Everyone has an off day I suppose.  But if we'd lost that game a lot more people would be giving him stick than they are, he lost the plot big time.

I think he was very frustrated that Pepe didn't find him with the relatively easy throw out which caused us to lose posession and Alonso to foul Kilbane. It wasn't a kick the ball away in the classic way in the sense that he wasn't disputing the decision or showing dissent, he was merely venting frustration. I thought the ref might have just had a word and left it.
Ultimately, one thing led to another and he lost his head I think. He was probably a touch unlucky though with the first yellow IMHO.

At the same time, every player knows 'Kick the ball away and yer booked'. They know it - the refs book them almost every time, why take the risk? At that stage in a derby match there's a fair chance that a midfielder's going to get another booking so in my mind it was stupid. But hey - we won and that's all that matters. Probably evened the game out a bit  :laugh:
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:44 pm

I think anyone who picks a player other than Gerrard is maybe trying to be clever.
Although SG is my pick I think most of the other players have raised their game and been more consistent which has resulted in our much improved league position/points tally.

Sissoko has been a real plus too.

Rafa deserves great credit also for instilling this into the team.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion