Player ability, mentality, etc...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Hustler 2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 pm wrote:I don't even think Stevie G has got what it takes to play the full 90 mins anymore. I'd start taking him off after 60/70 mins, as he proves to be ineffective 2nd halfs these days. Good first half, cr*p 2nd. He's starting to wane/disappear for long periods of the games now, and does not boss the midfield like he used to.

I'd be tempted to move him forward in the last 15-20 minutes of games where he doesn't have to do as much running and he can still hurt the opposition. I think Rodgers has some kind of mental block when it comes to using Gerrard further forward though.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Hustler 2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:18 pm

stmichael » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:38 pm wrote:
Hustler 2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 pm wrote:I don't even think Stevie G has got what it takes to play the full 90 mins anymore. I'd start taking him off after 60/70 mins, as he proves to be ineffective 2nd halfs these days. Good first half, cr*p 2nd. He's starting to wane/disappear for long periods of the games now, and does not boss the midfield like he used to.

I'd be tempted to move him forward in the last 15-20 minutes of games where he doesn't have to do as much running and he can still hurt the opposition. I think Rodgers has some kind of mental block when it comes to using Gerrard further forward though.

Good point. You could even play him at the start, just behind the front two. he can probably do more damage there, than playing him in front of the back four.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

Postby red till i die!! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:31 pm

i agree that gerrard could do with less minutes but its important for us that he does play.
without him on the field though i think we tend to just plod about. northampton last season was one where we didnt show up till his introduction in the 2nd half. we dont have any others on the field who can lead like he does.
he has been poor by his standards so far and i dont agree that DM is the best position for him either. one of his best seasons for us came on the right and if he worked with torres he can do the same with sturridge.
if rodgers insists on playing 2 DM's then it should be hendo or allen alongside lucas and gerrard up the pitch where he is in a position to influence the game. even at his age and fitness level he should be well able to put in a shift for 70 minutes week in week out but sitting in front of the back 4 wont get the best from him.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion