PHILIPP DEGEN - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Tue May 20, 2008 6:00 pm

lakes10 wrote:
club_Levis wrote:Dont worry about the lad. He will obviously give the manager " options" and " possibilities" .

True we cant outspend Manure and Chelsea and according to some here thats the reason we should be behind them all seasons.

Not excited at all about this deal.

It might be more down to the owners.
Pick the guy up on a free, play him in a few game  and he gets the Liverpool tag........then sell him for profit.

That's nothing to do with the owners. Rafa has been doing this with players since he came. He's a good business sense, has our Rafa.

Edit - in hindsight to keep my post as balanced as possible, it's worth noting that Rafa has already spent about 150 million on :censored: players, no?
Last edited by Emerald Red on Tue May 20, 2008 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 20, 2008 6:09 pm

Tbh I think Rafa has shown that given the money he can no-doubt bring in top quality players, but I also think that without splashing the cash his record is about at the level you would expect ..... cr@p. You can't buy top class players for free or next to nothing. (I suppose Babbel under Houllier was our exception to the rule) If they are quality and run down their contract they expect a huge salary that seems to take us out of the running straight away, if they are poor or injury prone we can get them for free or "cheap", but we then spend half the season integrating them into the team only to realise they are never going to make it, and then start looking for the next cheap option.

Josemy, Kromkamp, Aurelio, Arbeloa..... all can play to a reasonable level but either through injurys, mindset or just plain lack of quality, none of them have really grabbed a place and held it.

Its the same with the wings, a succession of cheap buys and we still havent solved our long lasting problems out wide.

Hopefully like last close season its just a slow start before we bring in the top quality players we need. It just seems a pity that so many top players seem available this year, when last season they seemed at a premium.

Real Madrid have just signed Garay for 10m Euros, when we wanted him last season I think it was around the £12million mark.
account deleted by request

Postby Stev1eran » Tue May 20, 2008 6:13 pm

If he can clear a ball away from goal in the 91st minute then he'll do for me.

Lets face it we shouldn't be having this debate we should have been looking at a final with the Mancs in Moscow.
Stev1eran

Postby essexpoolfan » Tue May 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Stev1eran wrote:If he can clear a ball away from goal in the 91st minute then he'll do for me.

Lets face it we shouldn't be having this debate we should have been looking at a final with the Mancs in Moscow.

That would be completely irrelevant to the topic
essexpoolfan

Postby Rockthekop » Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

I'm not excited nor bothered about this signing since he's a free transfer.  You don't get quality for nothing so I'm not expecting Degen to be up to much anyway.  I just hope this means that the funds will be available to buy a quality winger and striker.
Rockthekop

Postby destro » Tue May 20, 2008 6:37 pm

I am willing to wait and see the lad play before I say if he is a good signing or not. I t is a fair comment to say that people who have seen him play don't rate him but on the other hand  Schevchenko was regarded as one of the best strikers in the world by people who saw him play and Degen hasn't cost us a penny
destro

Postby jonnymac1979 » Tue May 20, 2008 6:41 pm

Stev1eran wrote:Lets at least give the lad a chance - loads of us had never heard of Agger or Skrtel but I think they are both going to be class for years to come as long as they stay injury free. So lets welcome the lad and see what he's like first before slagging him off.
As for the Mancs with Rio I could think of a lot better things to spend £30mil on, and I believe Sami in his prime was a better centre back and how many of us had heard of him whe Houllier bought him ??

True mate.

Although when we signed Agger, I knew from a Danish mate of mine that we were pretty much signing Denmark's finest player even though he was only a young lad.  Knew he weren't going to be a flop. 

He marked Wayne Rooney like a master when Denmark thrashed England that night as well if you recall.

As far as Degen goes, I'm not commenting as I've seen nothing of him.  Wait until he's played a few games.

On a related note, Sabre, can you tell us how Antonio Barragan is doing?  The few times I seen him play, he liked to get up the line and was a pretty well built, tall and quick lad if a little young and raw.  Is he still getting a game out in Spain?
jonnymac1979

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue May 20, 2008 6:45 pm

t-h-o-m wrote:we need to buy quality - not degen

Here we go again....start off as you mean to go on?........with average squad players, and thats exactly what degan is :sniffle I hope this is not going to be another close season of getting "freebees" and cheap imports....for fukk sake rafa if you wanted alves then tell that fat arrogant, texan cowboy you need  whatever it costs to sign him.....dont be shopping in bargain basements again.  :no
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue May 20, 2008 6:53 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:Chelsea sign Bosingwa £16.5 million.

Liverpool sign Degen  err  nowt.

Thanks TOM and GEORGE.

Say's it all really. :no

Firstly, its the first signing. It means nothing.

Secondly, what is so special about Bosingwa? The portugese press rated Ferreira better than him. Just because the like sof Man Utd and Chelsea over pay for average players how does that relate to our signings? Did you miss last seasons purchase of Torres?

Thirdly, since when is Rafa signing a bosman mean the board aren't giving him money to spend. Its May FFS! I could start to level with you if this was August but the season has barely finished.

Some of these comments only go to show some fans short sightedness or an excuse to twist a story to suit their own agenda.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Tue May 20, 2008 7:09 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
Igor Zidane wrote:Chelsea sign Bosingwa £16.5 million.

Liverpool sign Degen  err  nowt.

Thanks TOM and GEORGE.

Say's it all really. :no

Firstly, its the first signing. It means nothing.

Secondly, what is so special about Bosingwa? The portugese press rated Ferreira better than him. Just because the like sof Man Utd and Chelsea over pay for average players how does that relate to our signings? Did you miss last seasons purchase of Torres?

Thirdly, since when is Rafa signing a bosman mean the board aren't giving him money to spend. Its May FFS! I could start to level with you if this was August but the season has barely finished.

Some of these comments only go to show some fans short sightedness or an excuse to twist a story to suit their own agenda.

We'll see but i have a strange feeling its going to be another season of "dejevu" :sleep
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue May 20, 2008 7:39 pm

Do you really think Rafa is going to blow a big chunk of his budget on a right back? Its not a problem position like the wings.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue May 20, 2008 7:40 pm

We still dont know whats going on with the owners so lets just wait. Im sure Degen isnt the only person we will be signing.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby destro » Tue May 20, 2008 7:55 pm

I don't understand all this ffs Rafa. For all we know he HAS gone to the Yanks and asked for the money for Alves and been told NO, I really hope that is not the case but we cant have a go at Rafa over one free signing. We could well start the season with only Degen added to the squad but if that happens then the blame should lie at the feet of the people upstairs not the manager. IMO Rafa either has other players he is waiting to bring in or his hands are tied and he is going to have to take a few chances. Maybe he has been told he has to sell to buy. The season is barely over and already some people are expecting us to go head to head in the transfer market with Chelsea ???
destro

Postby El Nino_#9 » Tue May 20, 2008 8:14 pm

never heard of the lad. i'll judge him once his played a few games for us like all new signings.
i'm not all that fussed that we haven't spent £10m on a right back to be honest - right backs don't win you premierships.
as long as he uses the money saved on this, on key departments (i.e the wings, and a top quality striker) - then happy days!

Welcome to Liverpool Degen. YNWA.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue May 20, 2008 8:18 pm

On Garay, S@int says

Real Madrid have just signed Garay for 10m Euros, when we wanted him last season I think it was around the £12million mark.

Correct, but they have agreed to loan Garay to Racing itself one more season, and that explains part of the lower price.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion