Phil thompson - What do people think?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:17 am

Wouldn't surprise me that Hansen rated Thommo as his best partner as their partnership peaked in the title winning 1978-79 campaign where Liverpool just conceded 16 goals in the league, which we have never bettered.

I think Lawrenson is ahead as he has so much speed and can slide-tackle in a chase perfectly. A perfect illustration was his successfull dispossession of a speed demon of a striker named Boniek in the Juve-Liverpool final but had to come off after that due to a shoulder injury which he was carrying (i wonder why he was playing in that final in the first place) and was replaced by Gillespie.

As for your love for Fowler...seeing that you have gotten over your partying hang-over after the CL truimph, peewee, I'd take your word for it and not risk another chellenge to a fight over Fowler...:D
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:09 am

Thommos a legend, i'm a bit young to have seen him play, but he was a part of one of the most successful sides we had.
To see the passion still after leaving the club...with no bitterness speaks volumes of the man.
Its a pity a few other ex players dont have the same love for the club as Thommo.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:10 pm

Thommo did us a favour helping to move Fowler on.  The guy was a footballing genius during the mid 1990's but since he left us he has been very mediocre and yet we pcketed 11 million for him.  Well done Thommo.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:30 pm

I was a major fan of Fowler but I wasn't hugely impressed by his last 12 months or so at Liverpool.

I don't think it was simply a case of Thompson forcing Robbie out. Had Robbie been playing as well as he had in 1994, 1995 and 1996 then even Houllier wouldn't have been able to force him out. Sadly, Robbie's professionalism started to slide, and around that time his property deals started to dramatically improve his own personal financial status. I know he suffered some bad injuries but I'm not sure whether they were the sole reason behind his decline.

Its interesting to read John Bull's opinion on the man, and as I said in my opening post, not everybody see's eye to eye on Thommo.

Pointless post eh, Stu? :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:59 pm

he was one of my favouite players

If it wasn't for Thommo we would not have done the trbel and reached 2nd in the league

Superstar, Super-red
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:05 pm

I was a major fan of Fowler but I wasn't hugely impressed by his last 12 months or so at Liverpool

when Fowler realised he wasn't the 1st name on the team sheet, he seemed to lose interest.  I think selling him for 13 million was one of GH best bits of business
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby London_Red » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:38 pm

I never saw him play cos im too young, but everytime i see him on tv its obvious how much he loves LFC, this was shown especially in the CL final, where he admitted how jealous he was not to be out there, and his celebrations when we scored.
London_Red

Postby kopite_1232002 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:40 am

when GH had his op thommo took over and liverpool were quality.only wen GH came bak we went poo. top bloke
kopite_1232002

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion