Pfa player of the year nominations - Stevie but no carra?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:09 pm

i find it absolutely staggering. how can steven gerrard, who by his own admission has not been at his best this season , get nominated ahead of jamie carragher? ???

darling of the press i suppose.

nominations:

Petr Cech, Chelsea

Steven Gerrard, Liverpool

Thierry Henry, Arsenal

Andrew Johnson, C Palace

Frank Lampard, Chelsea

John Terry, Chelsea
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:58 pm

Strange that, he has been a rock for us this season and a real unsung hero for 3 years.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:02 pm

Yeah carra definitely should have been in there ahead of gerrard.

And although I don't like him, surely Ferdinand should have been in there as well, he is a one man defence for man u and their season turned when he came back into the side.

Henry has been a shadow of his former self this season, don't think he should be in there
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:43 pm

Its the players who vote for each other but Gerrard above Carragher how ??? i would of throught Heinze of scum would of getting in and possibly Tim Cahill of Everton.
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:45 pm

Sometimes you have to credit where credit is due and Gabriel Heinze had a great season.

Both he and Xabi Alonso were probably two of the best signings of the season.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Scottbot » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:05 am

john craig wrote:Henry has been a shadow of his former self this season, don't think he should be in there

Hasn't the guy scored something like 25 League goals this season!?! + how many hatricks? In that case we'd give anything for a shadow of a shadow of his former self!

Stevie should have won the award last season when he was absolutely ****** awesome. I'm sure he's in there because of his status with the press. It seems crazy. We should all be delighted the lad has been nomiated again but comments from the captain and the ongoing press campaign have Liverpool fans questioning whether he deserves to be in there.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:34 am

JC is the man. Stevie hasn't played to his standard for ages. JC NEVER lets the side down and ALWAYS gives 200%. He is better than Ferdinand and should have been nominated. I have a theory why he wasn't though: JC isn't afraid of telling folk they're w*nkers, and the fact is that most of the forwards in the prem ARE w*nkers, means that he won't have made many friends. Plus, Stevie rooms with Rooney for England and is mates with half the frickin' national side. I bet the entire Sh*tsea team voted for Gerrard - and told him about it. B**tards.:angry:

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:45 am

The list doesn't surprise me one bit. We all know the winner will be someone from Chelsea...this is not even debatable. Money does talk.
Coach of the Year...the sore loser Maureen.
For me the deserved nominee from Liverpool will be JC...period!
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:50 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:I bet the entire Sh*tsea team voted for Gerrard - and told him about it. B**tards.:angry:

yeah, the mind game have already started. Press reports seems to indicate that Lampard and Gerrard will be team mate come next season...how stupid can they be? ?????

WE HAVE NO FREAKIN' NEED FOR LAMPARD IN OUR TEAM!!!    :p
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:00 am

Part of fairly decent article on this subject that was on ESPN
Pretty much sums up the judging criteria
form is temporary, reputation is permanent

Liverpool fans are fond of reminding anyone who'll listen that 'form is temporary, class is permanent', especially when Manchester United, to whom the message of defiance is predominantly aimed after a decade in the shadows of Alex Ferguson's side, are in town.

So it is perhaps fitting that one of their own should fall foul - and another benefit - from a similar notion pervading the thoughts of those responsible for selecting the nominations for this year's PFA player of the year award.

As with most things this season, it is Chelsea who lead the way. Three of their exceptional side - John Terry, Frank Lampard and Petr Cech - dominate a six man list that also includes Thierry Henry, the current holder of the title, and the man second to him in this season's scoring charts, Andrew Johnson.

Steven Gerrard completes the list and as such leaves no room for a team-mate who has been quietly and diligently doing even more than his inspirational captain to propel Liverpool into the semi-finals of the Champions League, and within sight of claiming return entry to Europe's premier club competition through the league, during an injury blighted season at Anfield.

Jamie Carragher, torn shirt, flushed face and wild eyes, came off the pitch against Juventus at the Stadio Delle Alpi on Wednesday, having stood up like a colossus, along with central defensive partner Sami Hyypia, against Juventus' formidable attack, the true hero on a night when Gerrard was confined by injury to a watching brief.

It was not the first time. After losing his full-back spot to Steve Finnan last season and suffering a broken leg in a horrendous challenge from Blackburn's Lucas Neill, Carragher has forced his way to first choice centre-back - the position he has always preferred despite his tag of defensive utility man - under Rafa Benitez.

He has only missed two Premiership games for Liverpool this season and has been far and away their best performer in an inconsistent if exhilarating season. His honest, unfussy style and an ever increasing comfort on the ball has served to cement his place as a regular England squad member.

Indeed, were it not for the form of fellow nominee Terry and Rio Ferdinand's experience at international level, he might have been employed more often by Sven Goran Eriksson. He may well do in the future, particularly as doubts persist over the fitness of an ageing, if still indomitable, Sol Campbell.

Gerrard, by contrast, has not had the best of seasons, when judged against his own stellar standards. His blood and guts performances against both Olympiakos and Everton, where sheer willpower dragged those around him to the level required in two pivotal games, were typical of the man. And it is easy to become blasé about the impact he forces upon team-mates and opponents alike.

But it should not be forgotten that he missed fully two months of the season at the tail end of last year, including half of Liverpool's group games in the Champions League. And though he did as much as anyone to earn the team a place in the Carling Cup final, such is his admirable honesty and frankness, he was the first to admit that he did not perform that February day in Cardiff. Carragher did; as he has done from first whistle to last throughout this campaign.

In the minds of those at the PFA, it would seem, form is temporary, reputation is permanent.

All this, of course, is a footnote when it comes to the handing out of the gong voted for by the winner's peers. Henry, winner on the last two occasions - the first player ever to achieve such a feat - could not be ignored after another 30 goal haul for the season. But, as with Gerrard, there has been none of the previous year's irresistible form that marked him out as beyond compare.
Last edited by laza on Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:12 am

Carragher deserves to be there in front of Stevie G to be honest, and IMP lmapard has overtaken SG.  Although he is a world class player he hasnt been at his best this season and one of the things I noticed from the Juve game is how we stuck to a game plan and executed it.

SG tries too much at times and gets frustrated while Lampard and Cole have absorbed advice from their manager and have improved. 

I would love to see SG stay but let Benitez manage him and improve him as he does need improving despite the hype.  At the mo as well Alonso is our best midfielder.  Controversial but IMO Keane showed us at Anfield who the man was

Can you imagine Alonso and SG with SG determined to become the premierships best as he is capable of.  Those two firing together would be frightening
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:10 pm

Henry, I feel, should easily win the prize. Arsenal is a one man team and when henry doesnt play, their win rate and goal rate drops drastically.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:20 pm

Scottbot wrote:
john craig wrote:Henry has been a shadow of his former self this season, don't think he should be in there

Hasn't the guy scored something like 25 League goals this season!?! + how many hatricks? In that case we'd give anything for a shadow of a shadow of his former self!

Didn't henry go something like 12 games without scoring recently?  Hardly player of the year form

Not denying he is a great player but his form has dipped since early this season
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby welshred » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:14 pm

:angry: fuming CARRA should be on that list :angry:
welshred

Postby MilitiaRusher » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:17 pm

john craig wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Didn't henry go something like 12 games without scoring recently?  Hardly player of the year form

Not denying he is a great player but his form has dipped since early this season

And who scored the Hat-trick when Arsenal thrased Norwich 4-1 at Carrow Road just a couple of weeks ago? and you can take a look at the goal scoring table.  thats says everything really.

I think you have mistakened for Baros...
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion