Peter crouch - What does rafa see in him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:58 pm

i hope crouch signs for us but like john craig mentioned a few posts before i wouldnt spent 7m on the lad.
all these people hoping for kuyt would have been hoping for kezman this time last year after he broke van nistelrooys dutch goalscoring record and chelsea have got rid after one season.
crouch has excellent touch for a big guy and he showed in his little cameo for england when he played owen in with a pass reminicent of gerrard or alonso that he doesnt look out of place in a decent side. its also not always about the goals its about the chances you create as niall quinn showed for sunderland a few years ago. i think he`s ideal backup for our frontline strikeforce because unlike other `star` names like baros he wont moan if he`s left on the bench and he`ll be far more of a threat than the likes of mellor and pongolle.
he`ll be ideally suited to those away games we had last season where our passing game isnt working and we just need an outball and someone to keep hold of it whilst we regroup. morientes and cisse are nice players but they dont like playing with tough premiership defenders tight at their backs and this is exactly crouch`s forte. plus if it aint happening for cisse or morientes whats the use exchanging like for like? with crouch you can also afford to throw a few percentage balls into the box and this will be very handy against sides that flood the box at anfield too.
i`m against ale house footy probably more so than anyone but this lad aint a john fashanu he`s more of a toshack. there`s nothing wrong with having a skillfull bigman in a good move.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:26 pm

7 million for crouch.....we could get Owen back for 9!
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:32 pm

7_Kewell wrote:7 million for crouch.....we could get Owen back for 9!

I did read somewhere Madrid won't let him go for less than 15M.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:42 pm

What im not to sure about is the fact Rafa hasnt bought many if no English players.He usually looks around Spain first  because  his insight
into  the English game and players isnt as well known to him.Or he thinks they are mostly overpriced.
If so ,what is so appealing about Crouch and his 8m price tag?
I just wonder whether Rafa would of sold Heskey.
66-1112520797

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:51 pm

If he is desperate for Crouch it is much better to wait until January - i reckon his price will have dropped as Southampton will be mid table in the Championship and he wont be scoring regulary.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:58 pm

crazyhorse wrote:If he is desperate for Crouch it is much better to wait until January - i reckon his price will have dropped as Southampton will be mid table in the Championship and he wont be scoring regulary.

..or he will be scoring regularlary and his price will have rose or stayed the same. If Rafa wants him which he does, its best if we recruit him as soon as possible. Rafa sees him as some sort of a 'key' player somehow otherwise we wouldn't want him. If we sign him we'll need him for all the key games and compeitions like the PL and CL.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matt74 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:04 pm

imo he would be a good signing (maybe not for more than £5M). He would be just about the only player we've got that you can knock a ball up to and he will hold on to it until support arrives. I would rather have him than Baros who just runs like a headless chicken and doesn't think to pass, that happened far too much last season when it looked like there was only 1 person in the attaking half. If Crouch can hold the ball and lay it off to Garcia or nando running up in support it would add another style of play whenever we need it. Could be very useful in away games in the CL...
“If you are in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put
it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” Bob Paisley
matt74

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:39 pm

crouch is going to be a blessing in disguise.
18+ goals a season. "For Sure"- to quote rafa.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ken_job » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:48 pm

i agree, for sure
ken_job

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:51 pm

:D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AlanHansen » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:59 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:18+ goals a season. "For Sure"- to quote rafa.

???
AlanHansen

Postby El Nino_#9 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:02 pm

:p
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby charwell » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:24 am

Please I pray to God we don't sign Rodney Trotter, he is absolute garbage. If we do sign him I won't be able to go in my local chippy again, the owner is a Saints fan and is wetting himself at the thought of getting rid and for a fat price! He even says he is a liability. I trust Rafa and stand to be corrected but he has signed a few lemons already but they were fairly cheap mistakes. Now Gerrard isn't going we can't gamble on this one!  :(
charwell

Postby captainduck » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:13 am

chiggz_likes_owen wrote:
7_Kewell wrote:7 million for crouch.....we could get Owen back for 9!

I did read somewhere Madrid won't let him go for less than 15M.

hell, if it was me i would buy him straight up. he is the only proven striker around, that is for sale. anyways the problem with the striker market is that there arent many options this time around. thats why i believe rafa is going to sign crouch, is because theres noone nearer, or as good for cheaper. we need a fill in right now, and we can get crouch right now if we want to which apparently we do.  i am not sure about kuyt.. the eredivisie isnt anywhere near the premiership if you ask me. i believe he would have a hard time fitting in. it would be a bigger gamble as he is more expensive. and then again you can look at horseface nistelrooy and how good he 'used' to be. argh, i dunno.
i wonder what will happen to mellor and pingpong tho.. as we will likely have 4 worthy strikers available in front of them. :suspect:
captainduck

Postby Houllier=LFC » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:33 am

Crouch is just a taller Heskey...
:no   :no   :no
Houllier=LFC

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion