Peter crouch - Settle an argument

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:42 am

dawson99 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Good footballer, if anyone says otherwise they're talking out of their backside.

He's not world class but he's by no means poor.

or u could say hes not poor but hes by no means world class. he adds a lot to the team but i personally like my strikers to score goals

The reason we're keeping the ball better and the midfield are scoring as many as they are is down to Crouch (mainly) as apose to having Baros and Cisse.

The amount of times he's setting up shots, goals or is involved is superb. The lads having a cracking season.

As for England, Owen, Rooney, Fowler and Ashton are better players. Also Chris Sutton and Defoe.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:47 am

stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:Good footballer, if anyone says otherwise they're talking out of their backside.

or u could say hes not poor but hes by no means world class. he adds a lot to the team but i personally like my strikers to score goals

The reason we're keeping the ball better and the midfield are scoring as many as they are is down to Crouch (mainly) as apose to having Baros and Cisse.

The amount of times he's setting up shots, goals or is involved is superb. The lads having a cracking season.

As for England, Owen, Rooney, Fowler and Ashton are better players. Also Chris Sutton and Defoe.

Chris Sutton? ???? ???? ???? ?????

Stu come on mate ive heard you say some stupid things but, this has got to top the lot.

Keep up the good work old chap.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:48 am

stu, im just not a fan. We have the best midfield pariing possibly in the world in alonso and gerrard, so really our strikers should just be scoring goals. its all well and good crouch improving the team etc etc but in the lnog run it doesnt mean a thing if he cant find the back of the net on a regular basis. and for the past 5 games he has had a real bad patch.

he is a great player but not a great striker, and what we really need is a great striker
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:51 am

longsiderkev wrote:Just chatting to a mate who dosent rate Peter Crouch.  He says that he is a complete donkey and is not good enough for the Premiership.

I disagree, I feel that he is an important player for Liverpool and should definatly go to the World Cup.

But neither of us watch him week-in, week-out so what are your views on the big man?

crouch is 10 foot 6 inches, and is head and shoulders above most folk  :D

he's great for getting the ball out of the roof gutters

i love him

:D   :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:54 am

dawson99 wrote:stu, im just not a fan. We have the best midfield pariing possibly in the world in alonso and gerrard, so really our strikers should just be scoring goals. its all well and good crouch improving the team etc etc but in the lnog run it doesnt mean a thing if he cant find the back of the net on a regular basis. and for the past 5 games he has had a real bad patch.

he is a great player but not a great striker, and what we really need is a great striker

The stirker we so badly crave will come in the summer.  Benitez will ship Cisse out, an bring some one else in.   I just hope its someone like Defoe.

Then again that Chris Suttons orite aint he Stu  :suspect:
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 am

murphy0151 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

Stu come on mate ive heard you say some stupid things but, this has got to top the lot.

Actually I rate Sutton very highly, although he's not quite as good as Crouch in my opinion.

He's been criminally overlooked by England because he's been playing in Scotland, but he'd have a hell of a lot more caps if he'd stayed in England. 

For the couple of years in between Shearer's international retirement and Rooney's emergence, Sutton was the ideal man to partner Owen for England.  He was playing the best football of his career alongside Larsson for Celtic and was doing it on the European stage as well as the league consistently.  The fact that Heskey got the nod ahead of him in those days and that Sutton was even overlooked for the England squads was an absolute joke.

At the moment though I think there are better options than Sutton, he's missed his chance by coming back to England a couple of years too late.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:56 am

murphy0151 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

You've obviously never saw the lad play.

Murphy, am not being funny lad, you talk rubbish. Dismissing players down to there reputation says everything about your lack of knowledge on the game. Sutton's quality in the air, far better than Peter. Has an excellent touch and 10 times stronger than Crouch. He's also very good as a centre half, has probably more pace and easily as much skill as Crouch. He's also won the league with Blackburn and behind one of the worlds best strikers at the time was probably one of the best players in the league.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:00 pm

a lot of the poeple just rememebr chelsea tho with sutton, which is a shame but he was absolute pants there
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:06 pm

dawson99 wrote:stu, im just not a fan. We have the best midfield pariing possibly in the world in alonso and gerrard, so really our strikers should just be scoring goals. its all well and good crouch improving the team etc etc but in the lnog run it doesnt mean a thing if he cant find the back of the net on a regular basis. and for the past 5 games he has had a real bad patch.

So strikers should score all the goals?

I'm sorry but thats an extremely one demensional way of playing.

Something Steven Gerrard has developed over the last few years is the ability to time runs into the box and get shots in. The perfect example was the goal against Newcastle. Ball to the edge of the box, Crouch lays it off into Gerrard's path who is rushing into the box and he fires a shot into the corner of the net.

Crouch's main strength is the ability to hold the ball up and pick a good pass with his back to goal.

One of Gerrard's best strengths is his ability to read a pass from the strikers or a flick on, collect the ball and have a shot.

Crouch helps massively to get the best out of Steven Gerrard.

I don't understand how you can say improving the team means nothing. I really don't.
115-1073096938

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:06 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
murphy0151 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:

You've obviously never saw the lad play.

Murphy, am not being funny lad, you talk rubbish. Dismissing players down to there reputation says everything about your lack of knowledge on the game. Sutton's quality in the air, far better than Peter. Has an excellent touch and 10 times stronger than Crouch. He's also very good as a centre half, has probably more pace and easily as much skill as Crouch. He's also won the league with Blackburn and behind one of the worlds best strikers at the time was probably one of the best players in the league.

In 1995 maybe, its now 2006.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:09 pm

dawson99 wrote:a lot of the poeple just rememebr chelsea tho with sutton, which is a shame but he was absolute pants there

He wasn't pants at Chelsea at all. He was playing in a system that didn't suit him and didn't have the right players around him to get the best out of him.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:11 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
dawson99 wrote:a lot of the poeple just rememebr chelsea tho with sutton, which is a shame but he was absolute pants there

He wasn't pants at Chelsea at all. He was playing in a system that didn't suit him and didn't have the right players around him to get the best out of him.

he scored one goal in the whole season. and scoring has a part to play for strikers. we rely way too much on our midfield. all of our strikers together have scored somethign like 11 goals and that just isnt good enough to challenge for the league.

so can we say cisse just isnt playing in the right system?

im just biased, old fashioned. i like the strikers to score and the midfielders tos core as well but also do most of the setting up. its hard for me to explain but its just my personal view
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pakat » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:52 pm

Now we have Fowler, he can be our solution to the striker problem
Pakat

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:16 pm

dawson99 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

he scored one goal in the whole season. and scoring has a part to play for strikers. we rely way too much on our midfield. all of our strikers together have scored somethign like 11 goals and that just isnt good enough to challenge for the league.

so can we say cisse just isnt playing in the right system?

im just biased, old fashioned. i like the strikers to score and the midfielders tos core as well but also do most of the setting up. its hard for me to explain but its just my personal view

Firstly, Sutton was played in a defensive team, with no real wide players at Chelsea, they hit balls over the top and tried to make him use his pace (not his strength). How many goals do you think Crouch would score in Houllier's teams? Do you think he'd outpace defenders?

You say you'd rather the goals come from one area of the pitch.

Liverpool under Houllier played like that. It causes massive problems if your strikers get injured, suspended or aren't upto standard.

Owen was world class, probably in the top 2 or 3 strikers in the world so we just about got away with it when we had him. Under Houllier though we CLEARLY struggled to score goals when he wasn't playing.

With this side now goals can come from Riise, Crouch, Luis Garcia, Gerrard or even Alonso or Kewell. No-one knows. You can go the bookies every week and put a fiver on one player for the first goal and know if you go with one player every time you'll break even at the end of the season. If you can't see that i have to wonder which games you're watching. To say we overly rely on the midfield is pathetic.

If we want to be a success the midfield MUST keep going as they are or improve even more. Crouch is doing fine, setting up goals, scoring a couple and generally playing well. I'd rather have three players scoring 15 goals than one scoring 20.

Fowler is capable of 20 a season still, now to me... i'd expect something like...

Fowler 20
Crouch 15
Gerrard 15
Luis Garcia 10
Morientes 10
Kewell 8
Riise 5
Hyypia 5
Alonso 5

Each season from out players as a rough guess.

Cisse isn't playing in the right system yes. You're correct. But the difference is Cisse isn't a good player. He's an average one. Can you not see how playing in the correct system made him stand out though? He scored goals and earnt a 14million price tag supposedly.

When you put good players in the right system they become like Carragher or even Crouch. You need certain types of footballers to play certain systems, Crouch does an excellent job for us. Cisse isn't a good player playing in the wrong system, hence he stands out like a saw thumb.
115-1073096938

Postby Judge » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:22 pm

you missed 2 goals for carragher stu :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion