Peter crouch - It must be his destiny not to score.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1120597113 » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:52 am

woof woof ! wrote:Barry , I'm not gonna knock you for supporting Crouch , he does make a contribution . Like all supporters I want our players to succeed , but I just don't think Peter "nice guy" Crouch will ever do enough to justify Rafa's decision to buy him .

I understand that mate! Everyones entitled to their opinion.As i've said before he's not settled!
I think he's only played 14 games or something like that in the Epl for us!
Yes he should have scored by now,but he always plays well.There's not a lot missing apart from his confidence and i think Raffa and the players around him will help him get there!
Time will tell Woof!
66-1120597113

Postby Paul C » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:53 am

kidder wrote:i feel sorry for crouch in a way. he could'nt score in a brothel at the mo :p.

He should get lessons from Rooney  :D
Last edited by Paul C on Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:14 am

Benitez bought Crouch because he's unique - 6'7 and he's got the touch of Beardsley (well close anyway) The trouble is, and almost all of us all knew this, he just isn't quite good enough - his height doesn't get him over most decent defenders, who know how to jump, or how to knock the likes of Crouch out of his jump. On the floor, well he is actually nowhere near Beardsley in truth - it's just that his height fools some defenders into believing he has no skill at all. In the EPL he's been around enough for the defenders to know him back to front, so he won't be able to do many of them with his skill. As people like CGGY & others have said on here before he should be used as an option, not as the 1st choice. So in my view Rafa saw more in him than was actually there - not a bad player, but not the player that LFC need to take us back to the level we crave - namely challenging for the league title. Having said that he's a bit like the woman driver (sorry in advance!) who has seen loads of accidents but never been in one - against Villa he caused havoc, didn't score, but we won that game because he was there. And how many times have you seen a penalty miss followed in - doesn't happen that often - maybe Crouch was thinking of Henry & Pires the other week! - at least it went in in the end!
neilE

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:40 am

I think today it was fantastic how the Kop reacted to Crouch, our fans showed that we support him.

I think once he scores then he will score more consistantly. I know it, and credit to him for not giving up on himself either. We've seen drought's before. Michael Owen had droughts as well[not that I'm comparing Owen and Crouch in ability or anything like that], but once he scored he was on fire.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby skipper » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:05 am

Crouch was so desperate to score.  He did everything but score.  Hopefully he'll get a goal real soon.
You'll Never Walk Alone

RIP Phil
skipper
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:45 am

Lionheart wrote:Can't rate Crouch for the life of me. I would like to, don't get me wrong. He does seem like a decent kid but I just don't think he is premiership material.

I wouldn't say that, I just don't think he's Liverpool material. I hope he proves me wrong though.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:00 am

I trust Peter Crouch. So did I with Morientes, but in this case, I don't expect immediate results. And it's good the good old Drummerphil gives stick to him, as just when he did that with Morientes  3 weeks ago, he started scoring!

I think this guy is the kind of striker that reachs his best at 27. We have two internationals (France, Spain) and those should have the responsability to score. Crouch must learn, and he's doing that, I wouldn't want us to form hism as a good striker and some other team get the results. We must keep Crouch and we won't regret it.

Go Liverpool! good winning streak!
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:03 am

Sabre wrote:I trust Peter Crouch. So did I with Morientes, but in this case, I don't expect immediate results. And it's good the good old Drummerphil gives stick to him, as just when he did that with Morientes  3 weeks ago, he started scoring!

I think this guy is the kind of striker that reachs his best at 27. We have two internationals (France, Spain) and those should have the responsability to score. Crouch must learn, and he's doing that, I wouldn't want us to form his as a good striker and some other team get the results. We must keep Crouch and we won't regret it.

Crouch is an international player as well though even though he diodn't make the team against Argentina. He should be able to score.

Who will score first? Carragher or Crouch?
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:05 am

Yes, it's an international player *and* a young player, if he's reached so early the internationality, it means it's not just Rafa, but somebody else finds something valuable in the guy.

Scoring is a matter of streaks, in every striker. And this guy hasn't reached the  Christmas of his first season, where I come from, that's too early to say he's no good. Probably in Australia everything is different. Which is nice. :)
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:04 am

I was all for signing Crouch, and have been supportive of him since he came because I think he is a good player. Clearly, sooner or later anybody (even me) who plays upfront for Liverpool will score eventually and when the big man finds the net, the jury will well and truly retire.
I agree with what a lot of the lads who don't rate him who say that strikers must score goals. Now with Crouchie's drought, it has become a bit of fun and no doubt if he doesn't find the net soon it will become Worldwide news. While we all laugh now though when he misfires in a game which we win 3-0, it won't be so funny if he misses a sitter when we are drawing 1-1 against Everton.
Nobody wants another Heskey, "the other players really rate him, they appreciate what he does for the team etc etc". Strikers must score. The thing is, and I reiterate we have to wait unfortunately until one goes in off Crouchies erse or something, I have a hunch that once he gets going he will score aplenty. I don't even go along with this theory that he's not a goalscorer, he's there for the build up play. I think he'll score lots of goals for us.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:13 am

He's made some fundamental game winning contributions, no one can question that.

I am not too sure that Rafa has bought him thinking that he will be a great goal scorer.

I actually think Benítez bought him thinking he will score a few goals, but most importantly add a new dimension to our game. He makes life quite difficult for the opposing teams.

My regret is that Crouch doesn't have the same build as John Carew. If he did, it would help him greatly....At the moment he is weak and feeble.

He really needs to start lifting weights and increasing his caloric and protein intake.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:17 am

Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:My regret is that Crouch doesn't have the same build as John Carew. If he did, it would help him greatly....At the moment he is weak and feeble.

He really needs to start lifting weights and increasing his caloric and protein intake.

I think that is a really good point mate. If they haven't got a dietician and body builderish type bloke on his case then they definately should. Crouch could do with at least another couple of stone on him.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool 4 EVA » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:30 am

bigmick wrote:
Liverpool 4 EVA wrote:My regret is that Crouch doesn't have the same build as John Carew. If he did, it would help him greatly....At the moment he is weak and feeble.

I think that is a really good point mate. If they haven't got a dietician and body builderish type bloke on his case then they definately should. Crouch could do with at least another couple of stone on him.

Cheers Bigmick :)

John Carew is a player I really like, he is similar in height to Crouch, they have similar skills, but Carew is faster, a better finisher and is soooo much more threatening and imposing due to his fantastic strength and build.

If Crouch could get that same build (would take him around 2 years to do it naturally though) I think he would score a lot more goals, as he would would be able to use that height and strength to great advantage.

Crough doesn't look like an athlete at all, they need to sort him out ASAP.
Drummerphil - our thoughts are with you
Liverpool 4 EVA
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:39 am

Sabre wrote:I trust Peter Crouch. So did I with Morientes, but in this case, I don't expect immediate results. And it's good the good old Drummerphil gives stick to him, as just when he did that with Morientes  3 weeks ago, he started scoring!

I think this guy is the kind of striker that reachs his best at 27. We have two internationals (France, Spain) and those should have the responsability to score. Crouch must learn, and he's doing that, I wouldn't want us to form hism as a good striker and some other team get the results. We must keep Crouch and we won't regret it.

lol........i still stand by criticism of Nando actually.I never said he wouldnt score or wasnt / is a decent player .The only criticism i have of him is unless he  is 12 yards or less in front of goal he is ineffective as time and time again his lack of pace gets him in trouble.I am chuffed he is scoring and you dont become a bad player overnight but his lack of pace is frightening in the premiership.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:04 pm

From what I see so far, Crouch does have bags of promising talent despite his awkward height. This can be confirmed by his persistent scoring record with his former clubs, namely Southampton. His holding play is sublime, which enables him to bring players into play. Of course his height also gives him an apparent advantage for headers, causing opponents all types of aerial threat. It would be inevitable before he scores

My only main concern and frustration was the steep price he was brought here for. I mean 7 million for Peter Crouch? I would rather save up for someone who actually looks like a naturally footballer. Simao springs up to mind.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion