Perspective needed...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:59 am

After that game all our good work is now out of the window and we're rubbish. Crouch is not good enough, we need a right winger, we need this, we need that, this must change etc etc etc.

Wrong.

What happened against them horrible bastards was more confirmation that we are clearly going in the right direction.

Does that sound silly? Well hear me out.

At the start of this season we struggled to score goals. Really struggled. Everyone was saying how we needed a winger and a striker. Nothing has changed, however these mumurings went very quiet during our winning run. We played some excellent stuff, scored plenty of goals an kept numorous clean sheets.

The "problems" were still there. There were games (such as Newcastle) where we wiped the floor with them and could have had 5 or 6, yet it finished 2-0. However the critics went quiet. To be fair, i've said for most of the season we will struggle to score goals against the better sides at present and i stand by that. We don't yet have the capability to do to teams like Chelsea what they done to us. If we did beat them we'd win 1-0. We don't have the amunition to score twice past the better sides in my opinion.

However, we shown yesterday and have shown against Chelsea that we can now control games against the better sides. We've shown we can create chances against them and cause them problems. We've shown that they struggle to create chances against us but we also shown we are still not the finished article.

We're getting there, two players is all we need imo.

What we've now got is a system that is working but needs fine tuning and the correct players integrated into it without having to change much.

I believe we need more pace. However not in the front line. We need a right winger who has pace to burn, its a shame Overmars isn't 10 years younger :D . We need a lad who has the pace to get in behind and help us on counter attacks, however we need someone with skill and the ability to contribute defensively aswell. Kewell has won his place back in my opinion now and is making the left hand side his again, against that lot the other day things didn't go for him but the effort was good and he was willing again which to me says he's finally turned the corner.

As for the striker i don't believe we need a pacey one, more a poacher with the ability to link up and make clever passes to on running players. Someone with immense finishing prowess, exellent technique and character. I feel a player like this (yes i am talking about a certain premiership striker) will suit the system perfectly as he'll have runners to link up with, he'll get chances in and outside the box, he'll get space and he's able to link with other players intelligently. He'll also get crosses from Finnan, Gerrard, Kewell, Warnock when he plays and hopefully a new winger. This player was at his best in a counter attacking side that attacked down the wings and dilivered crosses for him, i think he'd suit this system down to the ground.

I genuinely believe two players like these wouldn't upset the balance and system and would be the right type of players. One of them won't cost much money either and has a couple of years left in him.

Infact if anything they'd improve the balance of the side and would certainly help us make the next step up.

We aren't far away as it is, Rafa will improve these positions with his players, hopefully one of them will be the one every true red wants to see back in a Liverpool shirt.
115-1073096938

Postby MaccaLFC » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:01 am

Quality post, trust the manager boys, he always comes up trumps. It's proved that the one man who wasn't a Rafa signing is the one getting a lot of stick. :-)
Der der der der der der der derrr!
MaccaLFC

Postby el_stinger » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:09 am

I will hope to see someone "like" Owen come to our club, but I'm not quite sure if Owen is the one we are after. I would see Rafa going for Kuyt (sic) in the summer, and spending the cash from selling Cisse to strengthen the right side of midfield. We are almost complete, but we need to get rid of 2 strikers, and implement some class finishers at the club. Then we will be the holders not the contenders. We are almost there. I can taste it.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby el_stinger » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:12 am

MaccaLFC wrote:Quality post, trust the manager boys, he always comes up trumps. It's proved that the one man who wasn't a Rafa signing is the one getting a lot of stick. :-)

Josemi, Pellegrino, Mori, Nunez have all copped a spray from members of this forum. Cisse had been given a reprieve due to his injury, but its time now to let him go. He hasn't done much in the league and people talk about the formation and system that is against the style of Cisse, but, a great player adapts to the game, and Cisse hasn't. Weakest link, a chink in the armour, should have put that ball away against the mancs.  :no
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:13 am

I hate Andy Gray with a passion. But since I was forced to watch the game on the box, I did catch the one positive comment he has managed to say about our club this entire season.

"Can you imagine how strong this Liverpool team would be if van Nistelrooy and Rooney were playing for them?"

We dont need 150m quid to build a team that wins everything and beats Chelsea, Barcelona and Madrid 10-0 every time we meet them.

It makes me sick we have to do with average players leading our front line. Strikers cost money. Give the gaffer the 30m quid he needs to finish the job David Moore, or give the club over to someone that wants us again to be the great football club we have always been
tel

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:25 am

el_stinger wrote:
MaccaLFC wrote:Quality post, trust the manager boys, he always comes up trumps. It's proved that the one man who wasn't a Rafa signing is the one getting a lot of stick. :-)

Josemi, Pellegrino, Mori, Nunez have all copped a spray from members of this forum. Cisse had been given a reprieve due to his injury, but its time now to let him go. He hasn't done much in the league and people talk about the formation and system that is against the style of Cisse, but, a great player adapts to the game, and Cisse hasn't. Weakest link, a chink in the armour, should have put that ball away against the mancs.  :no

The style clearly doesn't benefit the lad. He clearly doesn't suit our style, however, he lacks the basic skills to even be effective as apose to brilliant in this system.
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:30 am

tel wrote:I hate Andy Gray with a passion. But since I was forced to watch the game on the box, I did catch the one positive comment he has managed to say about our club this entire season.

"Can you imagine how strong this Liverpool team would be if van Nistelrooy and Rooney were playing for them?"

We dont need 150m quid to build a team that wins everything and beats Chelsea, Barcelona and Madrid 10-0 every time we meet them.

It makes me sick we have to do with average players leading our front line. Strikers cost money. Give the gaffer the 30m quid he needs to finish the job David Moore, or give the club over to someone that wants us again to be the great football club we have always been

Thats :censored: that mate. Moores has stumped up Millions over the years and will continue to do so. Rafa has money to spend but he's reluctant to waste money and rightly so.

West Ham have signed the lad today we should have signed instead of Crouch for a similar price. Still Crouchie's done well. We need a quality winger and a quality striker. The strikers obvious, the winger isn't. Even a centre mid (Ballack) for example.

Crouch   Fowler
Kewell   Alonso   Ballack   Gerrard
Riise     Hyypia  Carragher Finnan
                 Reina

Quality.
115-1073096938

Postby red_guy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:49 am

stu_the_red wrote:
el_stinger wrote:

The style clearly doesn't benefit the lad. He clearly doesn't suit our style, however, he lacks the basic skills to even be effective as apose to brilliant in this system.

Definitely. We only need a new right winger and somebody to replace cisse. Trust the manager!!!!
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:08 am

He should ask himself what Horseface and Shrek did against us on Sunday?

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Oh wait, maybe that was part of Carlos Quieroz's masterplan?

???
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby darwisigila » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:11 am

rooney busy at defending and tackling....horseface just a passenger
darwisigila

Postby tel » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:44 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:

He should ask himself what Horseface and Shrek did against us on Sunday?

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

Oh wait, maybe that was part of Carlos Quieroz's masterplan?

???

What did Cisse do? Nothing absolutely nothing.

If we had players of that calibre leading the line we'd have killed them by 4 goals on the weekend. Such was our dominance all over the park, except for our fwd 2.
tel

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:26 am

From Andy Gray making the comments about Horselface and Rooney it shows how far we've come, I feel were 2/3 signings away from becoming very strong in the Premier league, I agree with Stu about Dean Ashton cos the lad is class, also I agree (I know I'll get slated) about bringing Robbie back cos the lad still does what he's always done best and thats scoring goals, if he was given the chance to come back to his beloved Liverpool then it would put the fire back in his belly :)

Over all a CLINICAL striker and a right winger who can beat people are needed. :;):
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:31 am

dont be surprised if Owen isnt back at lfc in the summer
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:36 am

Judge wrote:dont be surprised if Owen isnt back at lfc in the summer

I know what you mean mate, I've got the feeling in my water that he'll be back too, problem is that MO has always struggled with injuries  :(
Last edited by Paul C on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:17 am

stu_the_red wrote:After that game all our good work is now out of the window and we're rubbish. Crouch is not good enough, we need a right winger, we need this, we need that, this must change etc etc etc.

Wrong.

What happened against them horrible bastards was more confirmation that we are clearly going in the right direction.

Does that sound silly? Well hear me out.

At the start of this season we struggled to score goals. Really struggled. Everyone was saying how we needed a winger and a striker. Nothing has changed, however these mumurings went very quiet during our winning run. We played some excellent stuff, scored plenty of goals an kept numorous clean sheets.

The "problems" were still there. There were games (such as Newcastle) where we wiped the floor with them and could have had 5 or 6, yet it finished 2-0. However the critics went quiet. To be fair, i've said for most of the season we will struggle to score goals against the better sides at present and i stand by that. We don't yet have the capability to do to teams like Chelsea what they done to us. If we did beat them we'd win 1-0. We don't have the amunition to score twice past the better sides in my opinion.

However, we shown yesterday and have shown against Chelsea that we can now control games against the better sides. We've shown we can create chances against them and cause them problems. We've shown that they struggle to create chances against us but we also shown we are still not the finished article.

We're getting there, two players is all we need imo.

What we've now got is a system that is working but needs fine tuning and the correct players integrated into it without having to change much.

I believe we need more pace. However not in the front line. We need a right winger who has pace to burn, its a shame Overmars isn't 10 years younger :D . We need a lad who has the pace to get in behind and help us on counter attacks, however we need someone with skill and the ability to contribute defensively aswell. Kewell has won his place back in my opinion now and is making the left hand side his again, against that lot the other day things didn't go for him but the effort was good and he was willing again which to me says he's finally turned the corner.

As for the striker i don't believe we need a pacey one, more a poacher with the ability to link up and make clever passes to on running players. Someone with immense finishing prowess, exellent technique and character. I feel a player like this (yes i am talking about a certain premiership striker) will suit the system perfectly as he'll have runners to link up with, he'll get chances in and outside the box, he'll get space and he's able to link with other players intelligently. He'll also get crosses from Finnan, Gerrard, Kewell, Warnock when he plays and hopefully a new winger. This player was at his best in a counter attacking side that attacked down the wings and dilivered crosses for him, i think he'd suit this system down to the ground.

I genuinely believe two players like these wouldn't upset the balance and system and would be the right type of players. One of them won't cost much money either and has a couple of years left in him.

Infact if anything they'd improve the balance of the side and would certainly help us make the next step up.

We aren't far away as it is, Rafa will improve these positions with his players, hopefully one of them will be the one every true red wants to see back in a Liverpool shirt.

Couldn't agree more, but maybe you should read your own posts before calling other people out.

Exhibit A - your tirade against Cisse, over reaction or what ?

Exhibit B - your demands that we buy Bullard after two good games, over reaction or what ?

Exhibit C - your request that we sign Joaquin, over reaction or what ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion