Perspective needed...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:18 am

dawson99 wrote:the part of being a fan is over reacting at the time tho. whats the point in following a team if u r not passionate?
personally i havent slated cisse yet, coz i like the guy. theres something hes doing wrnog, but its not his ability, and when we sell hmi i think it'll biteus on the a$$

of course wed love a right winger, as cover as whatever.

a striker would be lovely too. but if we buy all these, arent we becoming just as bad as cheatski?

No, because we NEED a striker and a right winger.

Sh*tski just buy for the sake of it and to prevent opposition clubs from snapping up certain players.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:39 am

stu_the_red wrote:
tel wrote:I hate Andy Gray with a passion. But since I was forced to watch the game on the box, I did catch the one positive comment he has managed to say about our club this entire season.

"Can you imagine how strong this Liverpool team would be if van Nistelrooy and Rooney were playing for them?"

We dont need 150m quid to build a team that wins everything and beats Chelsea, Barcelona and Madrid 10-0 every time we meet them.

It makes me sick we have to do with average players leading our front line. Strikers cost money. Give the gaffer the 30m quid he needs to finish the job David Moore, or give the club over to someone that wants us again to be the great football club we have always been

Thats :censored: that mate. Moores has stumped up Millions over the years and will continue to do so. Rafa has money to spend but he's reluctant to waste money and rightly so.

West Ham have signed the lad today we should have signed instead of Crouch for a similar price. Still Crouchie's done well. We need a quality winger and a quality striker. The strikers obvious, the winger isn't. Even a centre mid (Ballack) for example.

Crouch   Fowler
Kewell   Alonso   Ballack   Gerrard
Riise     Hyypia  Carragher Finnan
                 Reina

Quality.

We can argue about this for hours, but you're not going to dominate Europe with the likes of Crouch or Ashton. You are if you have the likes of Shevchenko or Ronaldinho.

We need a superstar to lead the line if we are going to again be as dominant domestically and in Europe as we were in the 70s and 80s.

Until we buy a striker that crosses the 20m+ barrier, we're always going to be the team best placed to challenge Chelsea, and not the team that beats Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge.
tel

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:40 pm

tel wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
tel wrote:I hate Andy Gray with a passion. But since I was forced to watch the game on the box, I did catch the one positive comment he has managed to say about our club this entire season.

"Can you imagine how strong this Liverpool team would be if van Nistelrooy and Rooney were playing for them?"

We dont need 150m quid to build a team that wins everything and beats Chelsea, Barcelona and Madrid 10-0 every time we meet them.

It makes me sick we have to do with average players leading our front line. Strikers cost money. Give the gaffer the 30m quid he needs to finish the job David Moore, or give the club over to someone that wants us again to be the great football club we have always been

Thats :censored: that mate. Moores has stumped up Millions over the years and will continue to do so. Rafa has money to spend but he's reluctant to waste money and rightly so.

West Ham have signed the lad today we should have signed instead of Crouch for a similar price. Still Crouchie's done well. We need a quality winger and a quality striker. The strikers obvious, the winger isn't. Even a centre mid (Ballack) for example.

Crouch   Fowler
                 Reina

Quality.

We can argue about this for hours, but you're not going to dominate Europe with the likes of Crouch or Ashton. You are if you have the likes of Shevchenko or Ronaldinho.

We need a superstar to lead the line if we are going to again be as dominant domestically and in Europe as we were in the 70s and 80s.

Until we buy a striker that crosses the 20m+ barrier, we're always going to be the team best placed to challenge Chelsea, and not the team that beats Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge.

You're talking absoloute rubbish.
115-1073096938

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:44 pm

i dont care if the next we buy is 20 pounds or 20 millionas long as he does the job
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:36 pm

Precisely Dawson.

It's not about hype and price, it's about the right qualities in the right areas.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:21 pm

tel wrote:We need a superstar to lead the line if we are going to again be as dominant domestically and in Europe as we were in the 70s and 80s.

Of course it helps if you have the best of the best playing up-front. As much i dislike him, Van-horseface would be a perfect fit for the way Rafa likes this Liverpool team to play. The guy is top top drawer but we couldn't buy him could we? He wouldn't want to come and the mancs wouldn't want to sell. Look at Ronaldinho or Shevchenko or even Adriano. even if Barca, Milan or Inter wanted to sell we would be in a bidding war with Chelsea (which we couldn't win) and the those players would be more likely to plump for London every time.

You say we need to spend 20m+ on a striker? Look at Chelsea. they won the league and nearly got to the champs league final (can't say that without smiling) with Drogba playing up front.

Rafa won La Liga with the likes of Mista and Carew leading the line. the mancs won the treble with Cole and Yorke in tandem. They were both good players and an excellent partnership but neither player falls into your 20mil+ bracket.

Like most on here, i agree we need to improve up-front. Crouch is doing a great job as far as i can see although he does look like he needs a break. He's gone from being 'someone who can give us something different in tough away fixtures' to one of the first names on the teamsheet each week and he looks tired for it.

I reckon the likes of Cisse and Nando will still get goals this season. they will still turn in some good performances but it is in the really tight games against top quality opposition when we really miss that extra bit of quality. we saw it in flashes from shrek with his running with the ball and horse with a deft turn and shot on Sunday. For all our strengths we don't really have a forward who can conjure up that little bit of magic, someone who pulls out the shot that no-one expects or makes that bit of space in the tightest area. The only player we have who can really do this is little Luis. Even his critics must admit we miss him like crazy when he's not in the team/squad.

I'm sure the boss will buy in the summer but he won't be spending 20mil+ you can be sure. I still like Defoe and have had a hunch that he will be a Liverpool player next season. I did wonder if Rafa might have made his move this month but it's all been pretty quiet in the press so i figure we're gonna keep on with what we've got till the summer.

Maybe we'll but Drogba and win the league next season :D
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:41 pm

Hustler why are you such a sad twat who comes on here when you feel like winding strangers up at a computer screen. 

Have you not got a girlfriend yet?  You know, girls?  You know what they are?

I actually read your posts you know and I'm convinced you're a Manc.  You're definitely not a Liverpool supporter.  You're 30+ posts in your latest guise of John Barnes are all s*i*e and you'll be history by tomorrow.  You stink this forum up.  Nothing personal, but there is no way back for you because you have never promised to behave.

See what I'm saying?  You come on here to annoy people.    Not to actually get your opinions across, no matter how much you say you do. 

Not on this forum matey.
jonnymac1979

Postby drummerphil » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:48 pm

and take that :censored: mudface with you.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:39 am

One and the same I'm guessing, Phil.

Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:04 am

stu_the_red wrote:
tel wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Crouch   Fowler
                 Reina

Quality.

You're talking absoloute rubbish.

And you're living in your own little fantasy world if your really believe that the likes of Couch/Ashton is the answer to dominating Europe.

You probably were too young to remember when we used to, what it meant to have a Dalglish or Rush destroying the best defences in Europe.
tel

Postby tel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:11 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:Precisely Dawson.

It's not about hype and price, it's about the right qualities in the right areas.

Its not about price? Why do you think players like Ronaldinho or Henry cost big money??? Because they guarentee you goals and points and trophies.

Ronaldinho is THE biggest difference between a Barca team that hadnt won a trophy for many years, and the won that did last year. If you didnt see the Barca game against Madrid this season when they played in Madrid, I suggest you get a copy. Then come back to me and talk about players and what they cost. Those 2 teams hate each other as much (nearly anyway) as we hate the mancs. And they friggn clapped him.

What is Arsenal without Henry? Would they have been an unbeaten team 2 seasons ago? You look at the past 5 seasons we've played them. Who is the difference between the 2 teams? Lehman?
tel

Postby A.B. » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:16 am

tel wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Precisely Dawson.

Its not about price? Why do you think players like Ronaldinho or Henry cost big money??? Because they guarentee you goals and points and trophies.

Ronaldinho is THE biggest difference between a Barca team that hadnt won a trophy for many years, and the won that did last year. If you didnt see the Barca game against Madrid this season when they played in Madrid, I suggest you get a copy. Then come back to me and talk about players and what they cost. Those 2 teams hate each other as much (nearly anyway) as we hate the mancs. And they friggn clapped him.

What is Arsenal without Henry? Would they have been an unbeaten team 2 seasons ago? You look at the past 5 seasons we've played them. Who is the difference between the 2 teams? Lehman?

Barcelona did pay a hefty amount of money for Ronaldinho, but that was because he was doing well for PSG and had a great World Cup run. However, Arsenal payed peanuts compared to what he's worth now. Remember, Henry was a winger it wasn't until he signed for Arsenal that Wenger converted him into a striker.

He was unknown and didn't cost much but look at the impact he made. So technically it's not all about the price, it wasn't at the time. Of course after all the years at Arsenal he's improved and his price has rised. But just because a player costs a great amount of money, it doesn't necesseraly guarantee anything.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:28 am

I agree with you in some respects about spending large amounts of wonger to get a top class player Tel.
But there are two major factors that dont allow us to do this, one, we cannot afford it. Two, we all know now what Rafa's policy is in the transfer market. He will not go and do " a Houllier" , he doesnt work that way, slow and steady wins the race my friend.

If you look back at this time last year we had recently lost to Southampton 2-0 and we're appalling ,twelve months later we've won the CL and are now fighting it out with ManU for second place,- oh as well as competing in the CL. So you see we have come on leaps and bounds since then, this time next year we may find ourselves even better placed. All this done not with the multi-millions in the bank but mostly down to Rafas tactics and guidance in which, the club is being taken in the right way.

Rafa cannot go and splash cash willy nilly and the fans have to be patient he has to be sure when buying a player. I agree with you that we lack a goal poacher someone like Fowler , but for now the huge big bulk of the team is set in place and its the last couple of pieces to the jigsaw we are waiting on, but in the meatime I think we'll be ok. :)
66-1112520797

Postby tel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:29 am

Scottbot wrote:
tel wrote:We need a superstar to lead the line if we are going to again be as dominant domestically and in Europe as we were in the 70s and 80s.

Of course it helps if you have the best of the best playing up-front. As much i dislike him, Van-horseface would be a perfect fit for the way Rafa likes this Liverpool team to play. The guy is top top drawer but we couldn't buy him could we? He wouldn't want to come and the mancs wouldn't want to sell. Look at Ronaldinho or Shevchenko or even Adriano. even if Barca, Milan or Inter wanted to sell we would be in a bidding war with Chelsea (which we couldn't win) and the those players would be more likely to plump for London every time.

You say we need to spend 20m+ on a striker? Look at Chelsea. they won the league and nearly got to the champs league final (can't say that without smiling) with Drogba playing up front.

Rafa won La Liga with the likes of Mista and Carew leading the line. the mancs won the treble with Cole and Yorke in tandem. They were both good players and an excellent partnership but neither player falls into your 20mil+ bracket.

Like most on here, i agree we need to improve up-front. Crouch is doing a great job as far as i can see although he does look like he needs a break. He's gone from being 'someone who can give us something different in tough away fixtures' to one of the first names on the teamsheet each week and he looks tired for it.

I reckon the likes of Cisse and Nando will still get goals this season. they will still turn in some good performances but it is in the really tight games against top quality opposition when we really miss that extra bit of quality. we saw it in flashes from shrek with his running with the ball and horse with a deft turn and shot on Sunday. For all our strengths we don't really have a forward who can conjure up that little bit of magic, someone who pulls out the shot that no-one expects or makes that bit of space in the tightest area. The only player we have who can really do this is little Luis. Even his critics must admit we miss him like crazy when he's not in the team/squad.

I'm sure the boss will buy in the summer but he won't be spending 20mil+ you can be sure. I still like Defoe and have had a hunch that he will be a Liverpool player next season. I did wonder if Rafa might have made his move this month but it's all been pretty quiet in the press so i figure we're gonna keep on with what we've got till the summer.

Maybe we'll but Drogba and win the league next season :D

Chelsea is a bad example to compare us with. If they go out and buy a striker like Drogba and he doesnt live up to expectations, they have spent enough money on other top tier players to cover and pull through. Its called diversifacation.

No other team in the world can spend money to get the best player in their respective position.

Even on Drogba, he may not have set the league alight, but there were times last season he did carry the team. If you saw the CL games against Bayern Munich, he single handedly won them the ties. He destroyed their defence single handed. Experienced defenders didnt have a clue how to deal with his physical presence.

Chelsea cant buy every top class striker in Europe. They'll buy Etto, Adriano or Schevchenko, but not all 3. Look at how much trouble they're having keeping Crespo happy already. There are currently 10 strikers in this category to choose from. And these players move all the time for the right price. Henry will be plaing in Spain next year. Etto will go to Chelsea. So its time for us to step up for someone like Adriano or Ibrahimovic.

I mean, what the fk were we thinking buying Cisse when players like Ibrahimovic were there and ready to move in Holland. Have you seen how formidable Juventus have become in Italy since he moved there?

On your other points. Mista was the premier striker in La Liga when Valencia won it for Rafa the 2nd time. He was the league's top scorer.

Go back and take a look at how much Andy Cole cost the mancs when he moved from Newcastle. He was the most expensive signing at the time. 20m+ in todays terms
tel

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:29 am

Cisse 14million to Liverpool.
Henry 10million to Arsenal.
Anelka 500k to Arsenal.
Vieira 3.5million to Arsenal.
Hyypia 3million to Liverpool.
Gallas 5million to Chelsea.
Veron 28million to Manchester United.
Drogba 24million to Chelsea.
Alonso 10million to Liverpool.
Campell Free to Arsenal.
Bergkamp 7million to Arsenal.
Overmars 7.5million to Arsenal.
Wright-Phillips 21million to Chelsea.
Finnan 3million to Liverpool.
Cudicini 500k to Chelsea.
McCallister Free to Liverpool.
Litmanen Free to Liverpool.
Murphy 2million to Liverpool.

Manchester United squad that won the treble consisted of a past if Denis Irwin, Andy Cole, Nicky Butt, Phill and Gary Neville. Hardly world class players, infact most of them distinctly average.

Liverpool squad that won the Europian cup had Traore, Cisse and Baros in the squad.

If thats not proof you don't get what you pay for and you can win players with the correct TEAM then what is?

I'm not being funny, but idiots like you are exactly whats up with the game. You don't think improvements are whats needed? You don't think theres good players outside the top few teams? Would it be completely stupid to suggest theres players outside the top teams that would walk into them? Don't think so lad.

Players like Ashton, who you have CLEARLY never seen have all the ability in the world. Good movement, touch, passing, excellent infront of goal, can hold the ball up, bring others into play, can finish. Then theres the likes of Bullard or Pennant that are currently better than anything we have out on the right hand side. Again not glamourous so you don't rate them?

Do you understand the game?

You don't need 11 world class players. You need a good team. We've got Alonso and Gerrard who are class, maybe Sami is aswell, then we have 12-13 other very good players. We need to improve certain area's, if you don't think signing players that are better than we currently have will make us stronger then you need your head examined. Ashton is an excellent alround centre forward, Fowler would score goals in this side.

People like you are blinded by reputation and price tags they mean practically :censored: all.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion