Perspective - All things considered

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby DrPepe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:25 pm

john craig wrote:Good post Homebooby.

Definitely agree with some of your points, such as the playing field levelling out over the next season or two (with the exception of City though it would seem) and that it isn't the end of the world if we don't finish top four.

I think though there were definitely two schools of thought after last season and you were by no means on your own in thinking it would be a tough season.  I personally thought the experience of a title challenge would stand us in good stead and we would kick on, but as the season drew closer we looked really disjointed in pre-season and then decided to replace Alonso with someone who wouldn't play for three months.  My optimism definitely faded then, but there were numerous posters who already thought we had overachieved last season and had thrown away our best chance in years.

"overachieved"  has too much of a negative undertone imo

Probability-wise, i would say that if last years squad replayed the season again ten times they would win it twice, get 2nd 3 times, 3rd 4 times and lower the remaining 1 time :D

this season, we could have "portsmouthed" an unlikely PL title by picking up Glen J and replacing Keane and keeping Alonso sweet with a 25% pay rise (thats what he was after imo) - put all our chips on black and hope the title challenge was enough to swell the coffers and pay the minimum monthly balance on the credit cards for the next  10 years or so...

But its fairly obvious the decision was made to limit our ambitions and batten down the hatches for the economic sh.i.t storm that we're currently riding - a decision that may or may not bite us on the :censored: in terms of football, but was probably safer for the long term running of the cloooob
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Sir Roger » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:18 pm

If we win all our league games, win the Europa and finish at least fourth I will say Rafa is a good manager, possibly great for turning a sh'it season into a decent one. But then I might remember who is responsible for the sh'it weve had to endure this season and demote him to an average manager. Either way hes got to turn it round before May
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:11 pm

Sir Roger wrote:If we win all our league games, win the Europa and finish at least fourth I will say Rafa is a good manager, possibly great for turning a sh'it season into a decent one. But then I might remember who is responsible for the sh'it weve had to endure this season and demote him to an average manager. Either way hes got to turn it round before May

Oh how very fickle of you  :;):
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Igor Zidane wrote:
Sir Roger wrote:If we win all our league games, win the Europa and finish at least fourth I will say Rafa is a good manager, possibly great for turning a sh'it season into a decent one. But then I might remember who is responsible for the sh'it weve had to endure this season and demote him to an average manager. Either way hes got to turn it round before May

Oh how very fickle of you  :;):

Fickle like Rafa?
:laugh:
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Looking at mancs, chels and gooners poor performance on the pitch, I would like to think that if we managed to hold on the Xavi for another season, we may have run away with the league right now. as someone mentioned before, it is the World cup year and Xavi still have 3 more years in his contract, retaining him wont be hard.

Mancs - lost Ronaldive (a third of their total goal scored) and Tevez (often scored goals that won games)

Chels - no big name signings, ageing squad.

Gooners - squad too young, inexperience and fragile to grind out results.

The main priority is to retain (strengthen) the core of the team, too bad we lost Xavi and didnt managed to sign Owen (Voronin over Owen ???)
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:The number ONE priority come the end of the season is to sort out the middle of the pitch. Lucas and Mascarano are essentially the same type of players so if I had my way it's Adios and hello a more creative midfielder. Lucas has scored once I think this season and has 1 assist, says it all really

It does however add fuel to the debate of what we've been missing for large parts of this season. Mascherano and Lucas in the middle doesn't breed much creativity in the engine room, even though Lucas has been one of our best players this season.

I'm not a believer in stats because they can be shaped to favour either side of the debate but when you think of some games this season where it's taken us deep into the second half to have a shot on target, then something's not right. Then when you look at how many goals our central pairing have scored between them this season, that also casts a concern.

But the point for me is how it effects the rest of the team. Because without creativity, vision and a forward drive in the engine room, it can weaken the teams confidence. Forward players get isolated. Wide players have less than one or two players at most to aim for and also end up having to keep tracking back to pick the ball up. And the defence ultimately gets pushed further back, inviting pressure as well as the long hoof up the pitch by Carra to nobody.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby boodiddy1 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:51 am

PERSPECTIVE: GET RID OF STATO!

He had all his big buy players on that pitch tonight and creativity was zero. He talks about balance of thew team, well lets look at it: No point having most attack minded full back incountry if your gonna have the most static on the other side!

Likewise in midfield, best def mid in the world, plays with the poorest one in prem. Best striker in the world, one of poorest in prem.

Maybe, thats how rafa wants to balance the team.

I've had enough of him, sammy "yes boss, whatever boss" lee and that :censored: defender pellegrino. The players need "geeing" up and that lot cant do it. Rafa is hiding behind the owners and using the supporters blind faith in our team to keep us on side.

Well, im sorry Rafa, but there is a growing number who are seeing through it now. Shape up or Adios :angry: :angry:
boodiddy1

Postby Big Niall » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:15 am

5 years and this krap squad is all we have. Acqua is rubbish and we have a shhiit manager.

The club is fukkkked with this turd as manager.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Yossi_Benaloon » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:19 pm

There has been no step-up over the time which Rafa has been here, in fact the club have gone backwards so i feel it is time for a new man to come in. This is Rafa's squad and it is ineffective, money has not been well spent and its time for someone else to give it a go.
Yossi_Benaloon

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:31 pm

Big Niall wrote:5 years and this krap squad is all we have. Acqua is rubbish and we have a shhiit manager.

Someone help find this child his dummy FFS!
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:44 pm

edit - mistake
Last edited by JC_81 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Big Niall wrote:5 years and this krap squad is all we have. Acqua is rubbish and we have a shhiit manager.

Someone help find this child his dummy FFS!

Wow that put him in his place, much better than actually arguing your case as to why you think Rafa is the greatest manager ever ever eh?
heimdall

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion