Pennant

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:28 am

Is it me or has he been majorly dissapointing?
He looked in the same class as Peltier, and Paletta last night, inexperienced.
Not just about last nights game nearly every game he has played so far this season.
For his price tag should we have payed that few million more for Alves?
Or put in a 10 million pound bid for Aaron Lennon who is making Pennant look ordinary.
He has prem experience but to watch him you would'nt think so, with rafa saying the other day he has had a word and expects more from him, to be selfish and beat his man, these words didnt obviously work.
I thought he was woeful last night and after 60 mins seemed knackerd and was just walking around.

I expected so much more from him seen as he used to rip teams apart on the wing for Birmingham, but so far we havent seen any of it.

I know he is new and its a big club but he was at Arsenal so there should be no excuse.
I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to be as good if not better than Giggs has been for United but so far what we have witnessed I doubt it.

Thoughts please.
Last edited by Ciggy on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:37 am

I think Pennant is just as good as John Barnes maybe slightly better!

Barnes is unfit and in his mid forties after all  :D
account deleted by request

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:38 am

Giggs @ United?

Pennant willl never get near him even if he does reach his peak. Giggs is one of the best wingers since the inception of the Premiership, manc or not he was world class in his day, Pennant i'm afraid never will be.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:52 am

I think he has been disappointing so far. but I think we have not seen him at his best. yet. how many games has he played in a row? - wingers are generally ball carriers and they need confidence that they can beat people with the ball at their feet, then whip in a cross or cut inside and shoot. I think he needs more confidence in his game, as well as picking up abit more skill along the way, but I think he needs a run of games before we see the best of him.

on the other hand - i do honestly think he is not good enough for Liverpool FC if we want to be serious title contenders.

the pennant deal all came down to money and who was available at the time.

RW's I would have love to have seen here:
Alves
Lennon
SWP
others who we were linked with:
Joaquin
Simao

ALL of the above would have cost over 10mil which is money that we didnt have

pennant was simply the best of what we could get at the time with the money we had. He is not the solution. But he has to do for now.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mattylfc » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:09 pm

Think we have talked about Pennant a few times now and my opinion hasnt changed.  He needs to buck up or get out.

I dont know if he is too over-whelmed by being at a big club or what but he just doesnt look right.  Someone has allready mentioned the fact that Wenger let him go and if he really did have the potential to be great then i doubt Wenger would have let hime go.

When he first arrived we saw glimpses that he could be really good be good for the club.  Of late he just seems to have no confidence on the ball.  He either runs into a brick wall or gives the ball away cheaply.  I cant remember too many occasions when he has taken players on or whipped in some great crosses.

I really hope he does prove everyone wrong and start performing but i really cant see it happening if im completely honest.
mattylfc

Postby taff » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Confidence it looks like to me.  He hasnt been that good to be honest and need sto improve but its early days and he deserves the season to settle and prove himself in my opinion.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:33 pm

I think the problem with Pennant is he needs games to get his confidence up. Rafa's rotation policy may of stunted his growth within the Liverpool setup. I think the potential is still there but he need regular games to get the best out of him.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Part of Pennant's problem has been that he's been in and out of the team, but I agree he's been disappointing.

Maybe now with Sissoko out for a while and Gerrard likely to move into a central position, Pennant will get 4 or 5 gamnes in a row on the right.  Then we'll be better placed to judge him.

Last night and indeed in other games he seems too keen to get rid of the ball rather than demanding it himself and getting to the byline - this screams of a player lacking confidence, which will come if he gets an extended run in the side, I don't doubt the lad's quality and I hope he comes good.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:47 pm

As has been said, the lad lacks confidence.  This is shown in his play a lot because, when he is on the ball, he tends to try too hard.  Pennant wasn't worth 6 million (3 max) and sadly i think he's an expensive squad player...however, with Sissoko out, we'll have Gerrard and Alonso in the middle and he should get a run of games to try and prove himself.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Pennant is clearly low on confidence, this can be seen every time he gets the ball, he always wants to pass it or cross it as soon as possible, he's petrified of having a run or holding onto the ball for a while coz he's scared he will mess up. The guy obviously has got a lot of abilty, he just needs to apply himself more. Garcia makes loads of mistakes in games but his head never go's down, and he's not afraid to try another trick or dribble 2 mins later, Pennant should be the same.

On a side note i think it's hillarious that Pennant gets his own thread for his dissapointing performances when at least he has a few assists to his name, while Craig Bellamy who has quite frankly been abysmal since he has joined us gets away with it, at least Pennant has abilty i cant for the life of me see why people have so much faith in Bellamy, no touch, skill, passing, crossing or finishing ability! he has exceptional pace and workrate but is that enough to make you a Liverpool player, i dont think so IMO.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:13 pm

Ciggy wrote:Is it me or has he been majorly dissapointing?
He looked in the same class as Peltier, and Paletta last night, inexperienced.
Not just about last nights game nearly every game he has played so far this season.
For his price tag should we have payed that few million more for Alves?
Or put in a 10 million pound bid for Aaron Lennon who is making Pennant look ordinary.
He has prem experience but to watch him you would'nt think so, with rafa saying the other day he has had a word and expects more from him, to be selfish and beat his man, these words didnt obviously work.
I thought he was woeful last night and after 60 mins seemed knackerd and was just walking around.

I expected so much more from him seen as he used to rip teams apart on the wing for Birmingham, but so far we havent seen any of it.

I know he is new and its a big club but he was at Arsenal so there should be no excuse.
I hope he proves me wrong and goes on to be as good if not better than Giggs has been for United but so far what we have witnessed I doubt it.

Thoughts please.

He hasnt been extraordinary but i think hes done ok. A nice assist the other day for Fowler and again last night but I think now he will get more chances given that surley Gerrard will move back into CM to fill in whilst Momos healing.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:14 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:Pennant is clearly low on confidence, this can be seen every time he gets the ball, he always wants to pass it or cross it as soon as possible, he's petrified of having a run or holding onto the ball for a while coz he's scared he will mess up. The guy obviously has got a lot of abilty, he just needs to apply himself more. Garcia makes loads of mistakes in games but his head never go's down, and he's not afraid to try another trick or dribble 2 mins later, Pennant should be the same.

On a side note i think it's hillarious that Pennant gets his own thread for his dissapointing performances when at least he has a few assists to his name, while Craig Bellamy who has quite frankly been abysmal since he has joined us gets away with it, at least Pennant has abilty i cant for the life of me see why people have so much faith in Bellamy, no touch, skill, passing, crossing or finishing ability! he has exceptional pace and workrate but is that enough to make you a Liverpool player, i dont think so IMO.

Bellamy hasn't hit form yet...but he's no way our worst striker.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:17 pm

Anyone can miss a Penalty. I remember Crouch missed one before he started scoring. It just going to take time for him to get of the mark but im in no way dissapointed with Bellamy.

Come the summer if he still hasnt improved Rafa may well sell him and use some of the Cisse money to buy someone big time but thats just me speculating. :D
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:19 pm

Fowler_E7 wrote:Pennant is clearly low on confidence, this can be seen every time he gets the ball, he always wants to pass it or cross it as soon as possible, he's petrified of having a run or holding onto the ball for a while coz he's scared he will mess up. The guy obviously has got a lot of abilty, he just needs to apply himself more. Garcia makes loads of mistakes in games but his head never go's down, and he's not afraid to try another trick or dribble 2 mins later, Pennant should be the same.

It's a fair point about Bellamy, if he'd have taken 2 of his chances last night we'd have been talking today about 2 great assists from Pennant and how we don't care if he doesn't score as long as he keeps setting them up.  Unfortunately Bellamy scuffed both of them when he really should have burst the net.

But I think it's harsh to get on Bellamy's case too much as well, that was his first game back and he was clearly rusty.  It's true he's not shown his best form yet for us, but while he keeps running himself into the ground for the team as he's been doing, I for one will give him time.  Let's not forget this time last year half the forum wanted Crouch sold because he still hadn't scored and then look what happened, a couple of goals and Bellamy'll be up and running.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:20 pm

7_Kewell wrote:

Bellamy hasn't hit form yet...but he's no way our worst striker.

oh yeah who's worse? Ive seen bellamy miss at least 5 absolute sitters this season and he has almost as many stars as kuyt and crouch and far more than Fowler. IMO he is by far our worst striker and is not a better player than Sinama Pongolle who is doing quite well for himself in spain and has never let us down in the past.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion