Pennant feels settled in to the lfc squad at last

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Marianne » Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:30 pm

Summer signing Jermaine Pennant believes he is finally starting to show the Anfield faithful what he is capable of. 
And the winger, who scored a stunning first goal for the club against Chelsea two weeks ago, sent this message to every Liverpool fan: "There's even more to come."

He told LFC Magazine: "I've got my confidence right up, I've gelled more with the people around me and learned more about everyone's games.

"I am a better player now than I was at the beginning of the season. I've started against Arsenal and Chelsea, and games don't come much bigger than them. I've proved I can cope with the physical side of those games.

"Like I say, I'm happy with the way things have been going for me in the last couple of weeks but I feel there's still a lot more to come. I still think I can bring more to the team. You've always got to strive to improve and I'm no different."

Pennant admits the transition from Birmingham to Liverpool was harder than he expected.

"People think that because you're English and you're moving to another English club, you're going to settle straight away and be in your best form from day one, but it's not always that easy.

"I'd say that it was only in the last six to eight games that I've found my feet and started to get close to what I'm capable of.

"I'm enjoying my football here at the moment and I think it shows. I've got an opportunity here and I'm making sure I make the most of it."

Pennant was a contraversial buy for Liverpool-is he showing his worth?
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Marianne » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Hes a great acquisition for the club-a pacy winger which seems to be a modern attacking strategy favoured amongst many managers
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Sabre » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:17 pm

"I am a better player now than I was at the beginning of the season. I've started against Arsenal and Chelsea, and games don't come much bigger than them. I've proved I can cope with the physical side of those games.

I agree that, but then, he shouldn't praise himself, it's others who must say that -it's my view about this things- :)

I think most of what he says is true, the gelling with other team mates, that the adaptation to a new club also affects English players, are fair points imo.

I respect all of the mates that say he's not good enough, but I think we'll see a better Pennant next season and he deserves the chance to show what he is capable of.
Last edited by Sabre on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Marianne » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:20 pm

I dont think hes been given a great chance by Rafa to be fair-he could have started more games to show what hes capable of
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Keris » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:04 am

I personally like to see him be more positive, ie. have a go at defenders and show more confidance in his overall play.

Right now it dosen't show that in his game. The same applies to Gonzales.
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:22 am

Marianne wrote:I dont think hes been given a great chance by Rafa to be fair-he could have started more games to show what hes capable of

???? ????
Eh he's started loads of bloody games, especially whilst Momo has been out and he's still only average, for a winger he is an awfull crosser of the ball, just awfull.

I sincerely expect him to be sold in the summer when we will be getting some great new wingers bought, oh I can't wait for next season, and the rest of this this one, but it's the league I want!!
heimdall

Postby Marianne » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:23 pm

which wingers would you like to see brought to the club then?  I presume you think pennant was a bad buy then! Do you reckon we'd have a chance of wright phillips? Could attempt to get lennon! :D
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Thinkpad » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:41 pm

Hmm.. not a bad buy. Maybe not what we should be having if we seriously want to challange for the title. He is more like a temporary solution during our financial "crisis".

Yes, he has pace, can run at defenders. But a great winger must be able to do all this and more. Maybe an ability to cross with greater precision? An ability to introduce a wicked spin (side spin) that can confuse the goalkeeper? In fact I rate those "skills" that he is lacking far more than the need for pace (doesn't mean he can be a slow tortoise). If he can whipped a precise wicked cross from near the half way line to the penalty area.. he don't really need to be very speedy. This I find what Liverpool needs the most now... a great crosser. And of course a a striker with a great header (also missing). Just my 2cents..
Thinkpad

Postby Marianne » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:44 pm

yeah, valid opinion mate-we did buy him from the brummies!
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:38 pm

Been nothing but Mr Average so far, has got it all the prove to earn a long term future here.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:05 pm

now if he can relax, take a breath and pick someone out with a cross, that would be peachy

still the highest amount of balls in the box,but even crouchy can't get a head to , stats are boll@cks
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Robbie Fowler 2007 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:24 am

he's ok.

Jermaine Pennant is a decent player, but not a "great player". thats all I will say.

He is not the next John Barnes, to put it Mildly.
Robbie Fowler 2007

Postby oakton » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:41 am

Marianne wrote:"I am a better player now than I was at the beginning of the season. I've started against Arsenal and Chelsea, and games don't come much bigger than them. I've proved I can cope with the physical side of those games.

Physical my :censored:!!!! This guy gets pushed off easily and is scare of getting hurt, sometimes he gives up the ball cos his opponent is charging towards him.
oakton

Postby node226 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:05 am

Pennent is settling in better now. But as our solution on the right? as a role player - yes; as a first team regular - no.

Extracted statistics for some of the league's top wide players from past 5 seasons.
Figures in brackets denote goals/ assists per 10 games.

Top tier
Giggs         27 goals (1.84), 43 assists (2.93) in 147 games
Duff          24 goals (1.97),  25 assists (2.05) in 122 games
Downing     8 goals (0.90),  19 assists (2.13) in 89 games
Ljungberg   21 goals (1.89), 16 assists (1.44) in 111 games
Malbranque 26 goals (1.75), 25 assists (1.69) in 148 games
Ronaldo      33 goals (2.80), 19 assists (1.61) in 118 games
Robben       15 goals (2.38), 16 assists (2.54) in 63 games

2nd tier
Kewell       33 goals (2.37), 17 assists (1.22) in 139 games
Stelios       18 goals (1.58), 11 assists (0.96) in 114 games
SWP          18 goals (1.42), 13 assists (1.04) in 127 games

3rd tier
Pennent      8 goals (0.66),  17 assists (1.40) in 121 games
Emerton     7 goals (0.56),   20 assists (1.59) in 126 games

Doesn't impress me much!
node226

Postby Marianne » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:19 pm

ooooh, might have to invest in a new winger then!!! Those stats arent good!!! Rafa didnt get pennant on the cheap even! Paid a hefty sum-could have got duff for less, who is a better player in the long run
Oh Gerro we love you
Marianne

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion