Pennant article form the echo

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Sat May 19, 2007 10:41 am

JERMAINE PENNANT wants to become Liverpool’s answer to Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 24-year-old has in recent months began winning over the critics who frowned upon his £6.7million transfer to Anfield from Birmingham City last summer.

Pennant points to the case of fellow winger Ronaldo, who is now rampaging through Premiership defences after taking time to settle at Manchester United.

And the Liverpool man is confident he is now in a position to make a similar impact.

“I feel I’ve got the platform now to push on and have a big impact at the club,” says Pennant.

“It’s always difficult to go to a new club and have a major impact immediately, no matter how hard you try. Not many players go into a big team and then in their first season get off to a flyer.

“If you look at Cristiano Ronaldo, I don’t think he got off to a flyer in his first season at Manchester United. It took him a season and a half to really show what he’s capable of.

“Now I’m here, I’ve got used to the pace, the players, the manager and how we’re set up and play.

“I feel it’s set me up to really explode at the club next season.”

Pennant added: “I’ve won nothing here yet, but when I win that first medal, hopefully as a Champions League winner, that’s when I can hold my head up high and say I’ve been part of a winning team.

“It makes you feel 10 feet tall to be able to say you play for Liverpool.

“I was involved in a relegation battle a year ago. I know what it’s like to be at the other end of the table, so it makes you appreciate something like this even more.”

----------------------------

Nice to see his attitude towards playing for Liverpool  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Sat May 19, 2007 10:56 am

Paul C wrote:JERMAINE PENNANT wants to become Liverpool’s answer to Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 24-year-old has in recent months began winning over the critics who frowned upon his £6.7million transfer to Anfield from Birmingham City last summer.

Pennant points to the case of fellow winger Ronaldo, who is now rampaging through Premiership defences after taking time to settle at Manchester United.

And the Liverpool man is confident he is now in a position to make a similar impact.

“I feel I’ve got the platform now to push on and have a big impact at the club,” says Pennant.

“It’s always difficult to go to a new club and have a major impact immediately, no matter how hard you try. Not many players go into a big team and then in their first season get off to a flyer.

“If you look at Cristiano Ronaldo, I don’t think he got off to a flyer in his first season at Manchester United. It took him a season and a half to really show what he’s capable of.

“Now I’m here, I’ve got used to the pace, the players, the manager and how we’re set up and play.

“I feel it’s set me up to really explode at the club next season.”

Pennant added: “I’ve won nothing here yet, but when I win that first medal, hopefully as a Champions League winner, that’s when I can hold my head up high and say I’ve been part of a winning team.

“It makes you feel 10 feet tall to be able to say you play for Liverpool.

“I was involved in a relegation battle a year ago. I know what it’s like to be at the other end of the table, so it makes you appreciate something like this even more.”

----------------------------

Nice to see his attitude towards playing for Liverpool  :)

The last say 15 games in the season we seen a dramatic improvement in his game.  I only hope it continues, hes a player that only needs to make one mistake and a large section of the crowd get on his case.  Its sad really cause when doing this its killing the lads confidence.  So STOP it lol.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Elchris » Sat May 19, 2007 11:01 am

I like his attitude , hope he keeps improving ,i liked his game against cashley cole ..shows there is many more to come

nevertheless he'll will have my support as long he wears the liverpool shirt
Elchris

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat May 19, 2007 11:12 am

I back him to have a big game in the CL final. I have a feeling both he and Kewell will start.
ivor_the_injun

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat May 19, 2007 11:15 am

i think at the start he felt he didnt deserve to be here and that affected his performances, when he started performing he could see he deserved to be here and he could see he could perform at this level. lets hope he keeps going, a fuuly functioning pennant will also see gerrard back in his rightful position in the centre
112-1077774096

Postby kunilson » Sat May 19, 2007 11:39 am

yep....overcome by the whole "playing for liverpool" thing in the beginning, but sorted his head out and put in some decent performances since the new year.

He must keep improving tho, have to admit i dont get scared when i see his name on the starting-list in matches anymore......that joy is only reserved for Zenden these days :D
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Sat May 19, 2007 11:44 am

very good player compared to what we got... should have started every game in the right flank with gerrard somewhere else whenever he was ready this season... some games i dont understand how rafa benched him.... with kewell injured and gonzo and zenden fighting it for the man of the match award whenever they played.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Sat May 19, 2007 11:49 am

kewell   masherano   sissoko   gerrard   pennant

with crouch up front for wednesday night please, sissoko to mind kaka
112-1077774096

Postby aCe' » Sat May 19, 2007 11:57 am

peewee wrote:kewell   masherano   sissoko   gerrard   pennant

with crouch up front for wednesday night please, sissoko to mind kaka

"sissoko to mind kaka" ?
seriously ?
mascherano seem the more disciplined and tactically aware of the two... id start mascherano and xabi with gerrard, kewell and pennant..

something like this..

mascherano       alonso

Pennant                                               Kewell

GERRARD

crouch

rafa will probably start kuyt though... which would be a shame tbh... he cant finish for sht ! and that might cost us the game if we play one striker only
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Naomi » Sat May 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Pennant can improve and it is nice to hear that he is committed and actually wants to improve
You can buy all the quality you like, but without desire, passion and the insatiable will to win, it’s nothing.
Naomi

Postby tubby » Sat May 19, 2007 2:07 pm

Definatley. When I heard before that he was saying "he was satisfied with himself" I was thinking wtf this guy pleases easy doesnt he. But as you said in the last 15 or so games he has played well.

I just hope he can put in a good performance on Wednesday.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sat May 19, 2007 2:08 pm

A lot of players are overwhelmed by playing for Liverpool. They're not cr.ap players just cr.ap adjusters :D

Hope he continues to imporove though given some of the likely signings this summer his opportunites may be limited next season !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sat May 19, 2007 2:11 pm

I just wish he would add some more goals to his all round game. I dont expect ones like the one against Chelsea but we didnt take enough chances in front of goal this year. What was Rafa's target for him this year - 10 was it?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby wee_boi888 » Sat May 19, 2007 2:30 pm

A little bit optimistic, but at least hes wants to improve.

He's played well recently and am glad we got him from Brum
wee_boi888
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sat May 19, 2007 4:53 pm

i like him as a player and he always considers room for improvement ill be happy with that. chip in with a few more goals on top of his assiats and illbe happy. decent wingers are hard to come by, yet alone at 6 mill

keep it, always room for improvement though. do not get complacent
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion