Penalties - Stupid not to practice

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 20, 2005 1:41 pm

One of the reasons England nearly always lose penalty shootouts is because they still believe that practice is pointless.

Germany lost in 1976 and then practiced during every tournament and I don't think they've lose one since.

It beyond stupidity  to think that practice doesn't make you better, you cannot recreate the pressure of course but golfers practice 3 foot puts.

If all Spanish people/managers are like this, maybe it is no surprise that the only England peno victory I remember was against Spain.

Lets not mistake this for Anti- Rafa and lets not have nonsense like we won't need it (nobody knows).

I think this could be a big mistake as often Euro cup finals go into penalties. Why not prepare for it. It is so amatuerish, you wouldn't ask "who fancies going in goals"
Last edited by Big Niall on Fri May 20, 2005 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri May 20, 2005 1:43 pm

I don't know if you saw yesterdays press conference but Dudek was asked about penalties.  He said that as a goalkeeper, he just studies the opposition players beforehand should it go to penalties and will have a rough idea of what to do then.

Rafa will not leave this to chance.  He's no Glenn Hoddle.
jonnymac1979

Postby Roger Red Hat » Fri May 20, 2005 1:46 pm

according to Liverpoolfc.tv and Rafa, he's not practicing penalties.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Fri May 20, 2005 1:48 pm

You're not wrong Lee. :blush:

Article

Rafael Benitez has revealed he won't be asking his Liverpool players to practise penalties in training as part of their preparations for the Champions League final. 
The final will be decided on a shoot-out if the scores are level after 120 minutes of action, but the Liverpool boss feels practising penalties in training is a pointless exercise.

"I don't believe in practising penalties," he said. "In my opinion, the most important factor is how you feel on the day, not if you look good taking a penalty in training.

"You can look the best in practise, but then when you're in front of all the people inside the stadium, you may get afraid.

"I don't go into a game like this thinking it's going to go to penalties. I only think about winning the match. Maybe if we get to extra time, then I'll consider who takes penalties."
jonnymac1979

Postby haps » Fri May 20, 2005 2:06 pm

I think he's got a point.  If professional footballers at the level of the CL final can't "technically" bang one in the onion bag then they might as well play underage girl's hockey.  It's surely about handling the pressure and that can't be replicated.
haps

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 20, 2005 2:14 pm

why do golfers practice 3 foot puts? its not "technically difficult" why did Michael Jordan practice lay ups? 10 year old school girls can do that?
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby gandalf » Fri May 20, 2005 2:21 pm

That's a great shout Niall.  The reason golfers practice 3 foot putts is so under tournament pressure it becomes a formality.  Footballers could do worse than to follow their example, but then, footballers are thick uneducated morons, aren't they??   :eyebrow
gandalf

Postby haps » Fri May 20, 2005 2:25 pm

Taking penalties is about responding to pressure.  Michael Owen could take a thousand penalties in training and score 950 of em but once his confidence went taking them, he was sh*ite and missed a hatful for us.  David O' Leary scored one of Ireland's most important and memorable goals and, correct me if I'm wrong, he never took a penalty in competitive play before that.  He was just a fella who stepped up.  He knew he wanted it.  I see what yer saying.  Practise makes perfect and all that.  It certainly doesn't harm.  All I mean is that preparations for this game should be focussed elsewhere and that Rafa makes a good point; and if it comes to a shootout, it's a psychological game then.  You'll get people stepping up and slamming home or shrinking back from it, depending on their mettle.
haps

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri May 20, 2005 2:31 pm

Got to agree with Niall the point Rafa makes is not valid, the pressure will make it harder but practising will let us see which 5 players consistently put them away.
Its not like we have put penalties away recently, we won the shootout at spurs in the league cup...but that was the kids. Gerrard has missed 2 for us and said he doesn't want to take any more. Cisse's was a cracker on sat....but what do we know about the capabilities of the other players unless they practice ??
The main point is we had a week and a half in between the games, what harm can spending an afternoon or even just a few hours doin this ??

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby haps » Fri May 20, 2005 2:34 pm

Oh sod it.  We're going to win 2-1 anyway.
haps

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 20, 2005 2:44 pm

whoever takes a penalty will be bricking it, and when you are under unbearable pressure you don't want to be doing something you've never done before (Southgate, ince, batty), you'd prefer to be doing something you've spent 10 minutes a day for the last week practicing, you'll know what type of peno you're best at and that's what you'll try and do again.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri May 20, 2005 4:03 pm

How can you re-enact the pressure of taking a penalty to lift the European Cup in front of 80 thousand screaming and jeering fans in the European Cup Final in Istanbul, at Melwood ??
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Fri May 20, 2005 4:09 pm

You practice so your personal confidence in yourself is higher so in a pressure situation you feel better.

And they havent practiced according to Rafa, well I dont believe him.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Fri May 20, 2005 4:59 pm

Why do people think that because you cannot recreate the pressure, that you cannot practice. Why practice anything then as playing on at Anfield is much more pressure than melwood - its nonsense.

Some people blast penalties, some people feel better going to their right, some left, some high, some low, only practice helps you decide what is best for you.

What sport do you get worse at by practicing - come on , tell me!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Fri May 20, 2005 5:01 pm

practice makes perfect.
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion