Pellegrino

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby coolsobs » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:13 pm

i read that he might be offered a new contract but is it just me are is he just incredibly worse than hypia.

I know how ****** off i get when people start critising players when they are having a bad run of form but im not just saying this because of the tottenham game and i have thought for a while thta hes ******.

so keep him or let him go?
coolsobs

Postby chiggz_likes_owen » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:25 pm

Of course let him go, hes sh*t. I'm better than him.
chiggz_likes_owen
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:32 pm

Rafa will probably end up taking him on as a coach as he has a hugh experience of the game from his playing days. I'd imagine that was the idea in bringing him in more than as a first team player
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the return of HAS » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:33 pm

I think in the end it will be a straight choice between letting Pellegrino go or selling Hyypia.

The one that stays will be back up to Carragher and a new centre back.

It seems quiet likely that Hyypia will be sold and Pellegrino will be offered a new contract. Rafa likes Pellegrino, he is always singing his praises, and saying what a hard worker he is and what a great organiser he is. Another factor is that Hyypia is probably on £40,000 or more a week. And to have a back up player draining that much of your wage budget is not the best way to utilise your resources.

It is unfortunate though, because Hyypia is quiet clearly the better defender, he is still a class act. Personally I would like to see Hyypia stay one more season and let Pellegrino go.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:45 pm

The defense, with Warnock or Riise, Hyypia, Carragher and Finnan is very very good i believe. If you put a goalkeeper like Cech or Given behind them, maybe even Robinson we'd look so much more complete at the back.

Dudek doesn't inspire confidence in this defence no more. We all know what Sami and the lads are capable of, with a top class goalkeeper they'd have more confidence and be harder to break down.

A new keeper though MUST be able to command his box and be a leader. Canizaeres would be a good choice.
115-1073096938

Postby the return of HAS » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:55 pm

That is exactly what I think STU.

The defence has been O.K this season, but our Goalkeepers have let us down. A number 1 needs to be arranged next season whether it is from existing players or a new signing. There seems to be too much uncertainty in that area.

I wouldn’t be disappointed if we went into next season with the following defence:

Finnan Carragher Hyypia Warnock

Other areas are more pressing. The goalkeeping situation definitely needs to be sorted out.

But I still don’t think we have any solutions to the wide players. Riise is just filling in, Garcia has been earmarked for that position of the striker.

I think we will definitely see two wide men come in over the summer.

Vicente and Wesley Snijder, Yes Please.
"We’ve got a lot of Cockneys in the team, but really, it doesn’t matter where they’re from – we’re all playing for Liverpool.” Robbie Fowler
the return of HAS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mike72 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:05 am

How the **** can you keep Pellegrino over Hyypia?  I lost count of the number of clearances Hyypia made against Juve with his head, he's the best aerial defender out there.  Ok, he's a bit slow, but so is Pellegrino! And he's suddenly become a top goalscorer too! There is no choice to make between Hyypia and Pellegrino, it's obvious who to keep.
mike72

Postby Dalglish » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:11 am

Pelle has done exactly what it says on the tin for us and I don't expect to see him figuring next season.

I think a little bit more respect could be shown to the lad by fans on here to be honest as he has come in and down a  job for us knowing it's short term. Yes he's slow , yes his distribution can be long ball a bit but he's done OK at times and particulalry against Everton showed some of his extensive experience.....
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:03 am

I agree that he'll probably be kept as a coach. There's no doubt Hyypia is the better of the two, but it's up to Rafa. Would we be in the CL semis if Pelle had been in instead of Hyypia. Doubtful, very doubtful.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:02 am

He may be a bit more cultured and suited for the European games but he struggles with the speed of the game in the EPL Also, he has this tendency to let opposition passes to the flanks which are heading out but being chased by the opposition with the assumption that the ball will go out for a goal kick, only to have the opposing player retrieve the ball and whip in a cross from which the opposing striker can strike on target. This kind of ball let Robbie Keane score and this same kind of incident always happen to Josemi. He tends top underestimate the tennacity of EPL players.

Is it a coincidence that 2 previously Spanish based defenders play like this? Perhaps in Spain, they don't chase seemingly lost causes and so the defenders make the assumption that he does not need to cover all the way until the ball goes out of play.

He can't cut it in the EPL.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:08 am

A bit like Glen Hysen who was signed in 1990 by Kenny Dalglish. In his first competitive game, in the Charity Shield, he played excellently and marked his opponent out of the game. I can't remember who, maybe Mark Hughes who hardky got a kick of the ball. Hysen was very highly regarded in Europe as a very good central defender and was the captain of Sweeden. However, he struggled badly when faced with aerial balls with strong physical challenges coming from English League strikers, and soon after, was let go by Graeme Souness.

Pellegrino is similarly struggling to adapt to the EPL.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 2520years » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:01 am

If Pelle hasn't got to grips with the differences in the EPL, why would you choose him to coach others?  I respect him as a player, but we've seen this many times in the past, where older, foreign defenders come here and can't adjust (Blanc at Man Ure is a good example).  I'd definitely keep Hyppia because the other players respect him and he's still a good player, but I'd splash out on a top central defender in the summer.

As for goalies, Rafa has to decide whether to persist with CK or not.  He'd be ideal if he could stay fit.  Actually, maybe the medical staff should decide whether to persist with CK or not!
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby apies » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:26 am

I hope Rafa will keep Hyppia and pellegrino just as a choice if Hyppia could not playing..Pellegrino has 33 year-old already..he cannot stay for a long time anymore..He'll be expired..but Hyypia younger 2 years than Pellegrino.. why should let our best defender go out..

For me...the best Defenders line-up for liverpool is
             Traore-Hyppia-Carra-Finnan
and Riise could support Luis Garcia or Kewell at the left side..
apies

Postby RifleRusher » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:29 pm

I think Rafa will keep Pelle and Hyypia, Pelle can help out coz he's experienced... Hyypia, still one of our quality centre backs.. but we just have to fix the goalkeeper problem...
RifleRusher

Postby JC_81 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:27 pm

Yeah Pelle is slow and Hyypia is the better player

But remember Pelle was brought as a cheap short term option and has served his purpose.  If he is kept on next year it will be mainly in a coaching capacity.  Another centre half is a must next season but I think Hyypia has shown enough recently to be kept on next year at least as back up.  It is not a case of pelle or sami next season i dont think

But a bit more respect for pelle is due, for those of you who don't know much about european football, he has been one of the best defenders in spain in recent years and one half of arguably the best central defensive partnership in europe in recent years along with ayala at valencia.  He has come here at the age of 33 to a much faster league and is expected to adapt immediately??  He's done ok IMO.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion