Owen training with reserves

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:45 am

Wernt people saying on here a few weeks ago he should play for reserves if he couldnt make his mind up? ????
Well it seems that way now
I am fuming over this whole situation so close to the start of the pl what the f@ck is going on with him

OUTCAST

Owen trains with reserves after Madrid deal hits snag

MICHAEL OWEN was told to train with Liverpool's reserves yesterday as his dream move to Real Madrid hit major snags.

The England striker had hoped his Spanish switch could be completed by the weekend, with Real confirming they were in talks over a £25million-plus deal.

But last night both the potential make-weights in the deal - strikers Samuel Eto'o and Fernando Morientes - appeared to rule themselves out of moves to Anfield.

The wrangling left Kop idol Owen training with the stiffs at Melwood following his omission from the Champions League qualifier with AK Graz.

Owen had been confined to the bench to ensure he was not cup-tied and was forced to join the rest of the squad members who did not play on Tuesday as they lined up for afternoon training with the reserves.

And then things got worse as Eto'o reportedly joined Barcelona, while Morientes scored twice in Real's Champions League qualifier meaning he would be unable to play for Liverpool in Europe this season even if he was to join them.

Madrid had offered the choice of Eto'o or Morientes as a make-weight in the deal, and Anfield boss Rafael Benitez was keen to take African player of the year Eto'o, who spent last season with Mallorca.

But last night Spanish radio claimed the Cameroon star had signed for Real's rivals Barcelona - who owned part of his contract - instead.

Eto'o is expected to undergo a medical today before finalising the switch to Frank Rijkaard's side for £18m.

He said: "I want to play for Barca. I feel like a Barca player. For some time I have wanted to wear the Barcelona shirt and help them with their pre-season preparations."

Liverpool had been hoping they could persuade the striker to come to England, because they have much less interested in veteran Morientes, despite his excellent performances on loan for Monaco in the Champions League last season.

And any chance of Morientes joining Liverpool all but disappeared in Poland last night where he scored both goals for Real Madrid in the Champions League qualifier against Wisla Krakow.

Liverpool would prefer to take another Real player, Juanfran, who is an exciting young prospect. Even if the identity of the make-weight in the deal is resolved, there is still some haggling over the fee.

Madrid have so far only offered £4m plus a player, but Liverpool want a minimum of £10m, and only then if they can have Eto'o, who they value at £15m.

If not, then they want £25m, but Real are bargaining hard because they know Owen has just 10 months left on his Anfield contract, and can sign a pre-contract with another club in January.

It leaves some hard negotiating to be completed, but both camps are still confident they can thrash out a deal by the weekend, allowing Liverpool to concentrate on the opening of their Premiership campaign.

There could be more distractions ahead at Anfield as building tycoon Steve Morgan is back in talks with the club over an investment proposal that will see him pump in excess of £50m into Anfield.

Morgan is hoping to talk to the board next week about buying a chunk of shares, and floating the club, in a deal that will dilute the holding of chairman David Moores and allow Morgan to join the board.

Liverpool hope to complete the £10m transfer of Spanish international Xabi Alonso within the next 48 hours, after the Real Sociedad midfielder was left out of his side's visit to Osasuna last night.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:56 am

I think RB is showing who is the boss, and reputations count for nothing.

All that matters is that LFC are successful.

I've been one of MO's biggest fans over the years, but to be fair, I don't care who plays for LFC as long as they win!
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedorDead » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:58 am

Thanks for that, I feel well and truly up to date...and good news about Steve Morgan
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:58 am

Geez putting the actual transfer spec aside that initial offer of 4m is pretty bloody insulting
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:05 am

yer 4mill wtf who do they think they r :angry:
hes well worth 20 mill or more hope he doesnt do a maca on us :angry:
plus eto is another african player of the year do we want another one of those look what we got with diouf :p
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:35 am

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:eto is another african player of the year do we want another one of those look what we got with diouf :p

I for one don't want to see Eto here. The record of the few African players we've had at LFC is abysmal. Loads of promise a couple of good games then disappointment and continued underacheivement. We are yet to sign an African player who has lived up to expectations. I don't know why, maybe it's our fault ,we expect so much. ???

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:37 am

maybe they dont like a bowl of scouse :D

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:48 am

The longer this drags on the more distressing it will get.  I say you've either got to make him sign or make him go.  If he dilly-dallys around then we'll end up with less than nothing as we'll lose a top player.

If Owen goes to Madrid then what will we do for strikers, Baros has had a good tournament in euro 2004, Cisse is looking very good and Pongolle definately has potential but at the moment I don't think any of them can step into Owen's boots, they are pretty tough to fill.
If Owen goes than I suspect Stevie G will begin to question just how much success benitez can bring.  If his mind wanders he'll lose form and we'll lack the inspiration required to challenge for anything.

Of course thats the worst case scenario but there could be some very serious roll-on effects from Owen leaving.

BTW: I am a massive Owen fan...
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Rafa » Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:49 am

wtf is goin on?

Needs to be sorted Owen doesn't look a happy chappy. Hope he doesn't ****** off 4 nothin
He comes from Spain and he doesn't speak good English,
But we don't care cos he'll turn us into winners,
The European Cup will be ours before he's finished,
Raaaaafaa Benitez!
Rafa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:02 am

I thin kwe'd all like to know that.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Kipper » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:12 am

To be honest, I wish he`d just bugger off now. If the Real move falls through, do we really want him playing for us? Will he be able to give 100% to the club . I think not.

We could do without all this ****** days before the start of the season.
Kipper

Postby LFC #1 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:45 am

interesting article, 20million plus we need, but the pre-contract thing is worrying, hopefully the lad will sign a new contract with us.
If Owen wants to leave then we should try and get as much as possible, wish him luck and move on.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PETER235 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:15 am

The whole Owen saga is a #1 **** up.
What are the management/Moores doing?
If Owen does not sign up or get transfered now it is at least £20m ****** up against the wall.
Liverpool need all the cash they can get - new stadium and new players to be paid for.
It should never have got to this.
and what about the Thai saga before this.
Are management loosing the plot?
PETER235

Postby Redtribe » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:21 am

i cant see anyone paying 20 mill out for owen the market is not as it was and neither is owen
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:23 am

I have to be honest and say I like Benitez' style.  He aint taking no nonsesne and Owen has created this situation
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion