Owen to return - Miss him or not?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:42 am

A.B. wrote:Some lot here are not taking in consideration that Real Madrid have f#cked us up in the transfer window so many times it's getting ridicilous.

Knowing from what has happened in the past Real Madrid would sell Owen for over 8 million, if we buy him for more than what we sold him for then we would be making no profit.

I also feel that Real Madrid would want double for Owen plus Gerrard, once again screwing us over.

Again have to agree with this
66-1112520797

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:22 pm

The only true and legitimate way to compare strikers is to count league goals. All teams play the SAME amount of league games against the SAME opponents. That means that the comparison is fair and unbiased. I do not know why I say this, I do not expect you to understand anyway.

Well heck I'll help you understand:
In a full season all teams will play 38 league games.
Bad teams will perhaps only play 40-42 games in total. Good teams going far in european and domestic cups may end up with 60+ games.

Include cups and you may cancel out 3 good goals scored against Everton, Arsenal and Boro with a hat trick against Wrexham.

Your lies and sorry presentation of statistically biased numbers are pathetic.

Last season Owen could not even be trusted to score from the penalty spot.

*coughs*

Baros has 18 league goals in three seasons.

And i can see what you are saying, its nonsense to suggest scoring in the champions league and cup finals is important. How could i be so foolish to not understand this?
115-1073096938

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:24 pm

Thing is, if Owen came back it wold be the same all over again for morientes.

at real, Owen came, and morientes thought his place in the line up was gone.

If Owen comes back to Anfield, Moreientes will think Owen is after his spot again!

Or maybe he might realise we want them both to play together ???

Fool.
115-1073096938

Postby tel » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:34 am

stu_the_red wrote:
The only true and legitimate way to compare strikers is to count league goals. All teams play the SAME amount of league games against the SAME opponents. That means that the comparison is fair and unbiased. I do not know why I say this, I do not expect you to understand anyway.

Well heck I'll help you understand:
In a full season all teams will play 38 league games.
Bad teams will perhaps only play 40-42 games in total. Good teams going far in european and domestic cups may end up with 60+ games.

Include cups and you may cancel out 3 good goals scored against Everton, Arsenal and Boro with a hat trick against Wrexham.

Your lies and sorry presentation of statistically biased numbers are pathetic.

Last season Owen could not even be trusted to score from the penalty spot.

*coughs*

Baros has 18 league goals in three seasons.

And i can see what you are saying, its nonsense to suggest scoring in the champions league and cup finals is important. How could i be so foolish to not understand this?

You're living in the past. The modern game requires a striker to play some games on his own with 5 across the midfield. Especially in a Benitez team. Owen without the luxury of Heskey, would have no impact playing on his own.

If you've watched him play at Madrid, they scream at him to be more involved in the build up play and hold up the ball more often.

He is a one trick pony playing off the last defender and waiting to be played through. This works if you're a strong defensive team. When you're not, doesnt matter how many goals Owen scores. You still finish a long way behind in 4th place. Or in Madrid's case, 2nd and out of the Champions league whilst there's a lot of teams still left in it.
tel

Postby Alanay » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:13 am

It will be quite different if Owen is back. Before he became our main striker, he played behind another top striker who the defend took as higher priority. That's why he scored more goals those days. Then came the day when he became the top striker and as a result, his move was very limited. With people like Moro or Cisse as the aggressive one upfront, he may have more opportunities. I watched Baros has more chances after we have Moro in front. Moro / Cisse can distract the defenders. Unfortunately, Baros had the difficulty to look up and always look at his own feets to ensure he doesn't one foot on another.. what a shame......
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Tlplaya » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:28 am

Ace Ventura wrote:I can see a lot of fans are bitter about Owen leaving and the fact it was for only £8 million, but anyone who thinks him coming back wouldn't improve our side is blind or cant see where we have struggled this year. The amount of games we have lost by a single goal this year amazes me, if we had a striker who would hit 15-20 league goals them narrow defeats would be at least draws and possibly wins. I understand opinions not wanting to go back....but Owen is proven he has continued to score goals and ALWAYS will. I was gutted when he left without giving Rafa a chance and i think he's realised now that it was a gamble that hasn't payed off.
He did leave us and it did hurt so we dont need to go sounding him out about a move...but if his agent contacts rafa i'd take him back without a question.

no doubt if owen comes back this team is goin places
Tlplaya

Postby 115-1073096938 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:33 am

You're living in the past. The modern game requires a striker to play some games on his own with 5 across the midfield. Especially in a Benitez team. Owen without the luxury of Heskey, would have no impact playing on his own.

If you've watched him play at Madrid, they scream at him to be more involved in the build up play and hold up the ball more often.

He is a one trick pony playing off the last defender and waiting to be played through. This works if you're a strong defensive team. When you're not, doesnt matter how many goals Owen scores. You still finish a long way behind in 4th place. Or in Madrid's case, 2nd and out of the Champions league whilst there's a lot of teams still left in it.

:D  Priceless
115-1073096938

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:18 am

dawson99 wrote:Nunez back to madrid?
They wouldnt take him and i wouldnt wanna get rid of him. he adds soemthing to the team.
As for Owen coming back, a lot depends on baros i guess, but yeah, owen'd get in my squad

The only thing he adds to the team is a few pence on the bus fare to away games. :D

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:36 am

Re. the owen saga: The little s**t should've realised he wasn't going to get the respect he got here under Houllier. Not every manager bum-licks their favourite players like he did. Owen prob left cos Rafa told him in no uncertain terms that he isn't a sure starter. O'l Raf doesn't buy into the "oooooh, your my favourite Michael. Please let me rub your feet while you massage my nips with johnsons baby oil" philosophy. Beni has players he admires, but he's not about to go skinny-dipping in the Mersey with them, or make passionate love with them on lazy monday afternoons! Rafa's the man. If he accepts Owen back - fair enough. If not, he'll find someone better (and no doubt cheaper!). In Raf we trust. Up the 'pool!

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:50 am

I'd say rafa thought he'd be fine up front with baros and cisse as i think everyone at the time and that it wasn't worth the risk of loosing owen on a free in the summer. In hinsight he was wrong but i'd lllloooooovvvveeee to see owen in a red shirt next season and i have a feeling he will and that baros will leave
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bedlovedays » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:19 am

Yep if and when Baros leaves Owen would be a decent third striker.

I would love to see Baros leave and the money spent on replacing Traore, yes he clears balls but he also creates nothing on the build-up.

With Cisse Nando Le tallec and Mellor we've got enough firepower.
yes Mellor, bril strike against Leverkusen.  Fantastic strike in the dying minutes against Arsenal from 25 yrds out to win us the game.

We are fine up front.
Can we do without Owen, hmm let's see,,, yes spend the money elsewhere,,,,,,,,,
bedlovedays

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:09 am

official site:

Jamie Carragher has admitted pleading with Michael Owen to quit Real Madrid in the summer and return to Liverpool.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:12 am

Owen as a third striker bedlovedays? The same Owen who has proven that he can score loads of goals in the EPL and the same who has scored an impressive number of goals at Real in La Liga despite not starting so many games and being a confirmed reserve behind Raul and Ronaldo?

If Owen does come back, maybe it is Cisse who has to take a back seat as he thus far is the one who has not proven himself in the EPL or Europe. Sure, Cisse is turbo fast but it is not enough if he can't score.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:41 pm

Owen in this type of team and formation would be aewsome we could be the new galactico's. Cisse owen up front mori just behind garcis, gerrard alonso in mid with a rock of a back four. Some goals and entertainment.  I think i got ahead of myself there. But it would be good against smaller teams to annihllate them
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Alanay » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:59 pm

If we have Moro, Owen & Cisse as the strike force, plus Riise who always come very fast on attack, it will give a lot of headache to the defenders..... surely we'll score more goals...
Alanay
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion