Owen to return - Miss him or not?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:15 pm

kazza wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Totally agree with this post.

Not the first time I've said it but Owen is an overrated turncoat.  He has lost a yard of pace and is still living on past reputation.  Hasn't been at his best since the treble season IMO.

If he came back it wouldn't be long before people were moaning about why we brought back such an injury prone player who can't head, hold the ball up or bring others into play.

Posts like this from knowledgeless idiots who claim Owen doesn't bring others into play (his main strength along with his finishing) and claiming he's mediocre and he only scores goals because the team is build around blah blah ****** blahdy ****** blah blah.

STOP MAKING PATHETIC EXCUSES.

FACT, OWEN'S GOAL AVERAGE PER SEASON IS OVER 20.

FACT, OWEN HAS ONLY FAILED TO HIT THE 20 MARK WHEN HE'S HAD SERIOUS INJURY OR NOT BEEN IN THE TEAM.

FACT, HE'S ONE OF ENGLANDS TOP GOALSCORERS.

FACT, HE GENERATES REVENUE FOR THE CLUB.

FACT, HE HAS THE BEST GOALS TO MINUTES RATIO IN SPAIN.

FACT, HE'S RIPPED TEAMS TO PIECES ON HIS OWN IN THE PAST.

opinion, HE'LL KEEP DOING THAT.

FACT, HE PERFORMS IN BIG GAMES WHEN THE PRESSURE IS ON, HE PRODUCES SOMETHING SPECIAL.

FACT, LIVERPOOL HAVE MISSED A PLAYER OF HIS QUALITY THIS SEASON.

FACT, LIVERPOOL HAVE MISSED HIS 20-30 GOALS THIS SEASON.

FACT, LIVERPOOL WITHOUT OWEN IS NOWHERE NEAR AS GOOD AS LIVERPOOL WITH.

FACT, HE'S SHEER CLASS.

ANOTHER FACT, ANYONE WHO THINGS HE ISN'T HASN'T GOT A ****** CLUE ABOUT FOOTBALL.

END OF ****** STORY YOU PATHETIC KNOW NOTHING IDIOTS!!!

No but seriously Stu, tell us how you really feel.

:D
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:42 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Posts like this from knowledgeless idiots who claim Owen doesn't bring others into play (his main strength along with his finishing)

oh come off it, owen is a good striker who plays off the last man as good as anyone but his build up play is poor.
you can call me all the names you want lad, but i`ve been watching this game long enough to have my own opinion and i have to wonder if you have ever watched players like daglish, mark hughes feck even teddy sheringham to see what consitiutes a forward who brings others in to play. usually they have physical strength for a start.
have a look at david johnsons pass to steve heighway in that famous 1978 7-0 win over tottenham for the last goal, thats a pass owen would never make in a million years, and yes jonno was a forward that brought others into play.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:03 am

FACT, OWEN'S GOAL AVERAGE PER SEASON IS OVER 20
Owen's a 20 goals + player you say? Bollox:

03/04 16 goals
02/03 19 goals
01/02 19 goals
00/01 16 goals
99/00 11 goals
98/99 18 goals

His average being 16,5 goals, not hitting above the 20 mark in any season.

lol.

Check ya facts dickstain. Again you're just wrong.

97/ 98 1 goal
98/99 23 goals
99/00 13 goals
00/01 23 goals
01/02 24 goals
02/03 28 goals
03/04 19 goals

If you really only want to talk league goals, compare that to Baros' totals and see where we're at. I'll even say compare it to his totals when he played in the czech league. :)

You talk ******, everyone here knows it, you know it, your just to much a fool to admit it. :) You claim to be better than Murphy and that Owen is mediocre, your just a stupid ****** talking know nothing aisian who doesn't even know where Liverpool is.

That is trash. We have played better football this season, than any of the past 3 years with Owen. And next year without Owen we will finally mount a serious challenge for the title with Morientes, Baros and Cisse.

Erm... where are we in the league?

You don't seem to realise that Owen was excellent at scoring goals away from away from home and thats the reason we had a great record away under Houllier, we've missed that greatly this season and this shows every time we go away to a team like Man City. We've been pathetic and toothless and never looked like scoring in a number of games even when your magnificent (better than Owen Baros) played. Owen had a goal threat about him, he was a constant threat for 90 minutes. Baros and Morientes don't have that threat about them at all. As good as Morientes is, he's not goalscorer.

Where was Baros today by the way? Oh yeah, sittin in the ****** stand because he can't control his temper. Brilliant, truely top class.

You are truely unbelievable.
115-1073096938

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:31 am

Banana occasionly raises some decent points but spoils it by saying Owen is mediocre and Baros is a better player. :laugh:
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Iceman69 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:37 am

stu_the_red wrote:

Not the first time I've said it but Owen is an overrated turncoat.  He has lost a yard of pace and is still living on past reputation.  Hasn't been at his best since the treble season IMO.

If he came back it wouldn't be long before people were moaning about why we brought back such an injury prone player who can't head, hold the ball up or bring others into play.

Posts like this from knowledgeless idiots who claim Owen doesn't bring others into play (his main strength along with his finishing) and claiming he's mediocre and he only scores goals because the team is build around blah blah ****** blahdy ****** blah blah.

FACT, OWEN HAS ONLY FAILED TO HIT THE 20 MARK WHEN HE'S HAD SERIOUS INJURY OR NOT BEEN IN THE TEAM.

FACT, HE PERFORMS IN BIG GAMES WHEN THE PRESSURE IS ON, HE PRODUCES SOMETHING SPECIAL.

FACT, HE'S SHEER CLASS.

ANOTHER FACT, ANYONE WHO THINGS HE ISN'T HASN'T GOT A ****** CLUE ABOUT FOOTBALL.

you forgot.......

FACT, he's past his best.

take the aberbaijan game for example, he was poor. and he thinks he is better than any club he plays for.
Iceman69

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:27 am

Iceman69 wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

FACT, HE'S SHEER CLASS.

you forgot.......

FACT, he's past his best.

take the aberbaijan game for example, he was poor. and he thinks he is better than any club he plays for.

so you make your whole decision on one bluddy game?
wtf have you been smokin ???
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bedlovedays » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:33 am

yckatbjywtbiastkamb   good post mate
bedlovedays

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:33 am

People just don't understand the game at all.

He has lost a yard of pace and acceleration. Without question, no-one doubts that. But he's still fast as ****** and if he gets beyond the last defender he won't be caught. He's also lost a bit of raw edge and unpredictability.

He has however become more aware, more intelligent, he knows when to come deep and if you look at his goalscoring record, it improved year upon year, he's also lethal with his left foot given a chance.

Great players are often involved when a team scores a goal, either the finish, a pass, draging a defender away with movement or a simple but good pass in the build up. Owen was involved in ALOT of Liverpools goals.

Owen also knew how to link up with a strike partner to his own advantage and to his partners, for example, the goal in the euro's where Rooney played a 1-2 with Owen and went through and finished, could you ever see Baros playing either Rooney or Owen's part in that goal? I certainly couldn't, whereas i could see Owen doing both... sorry, HAVE seen Owen doing both and i know for a fact Morientes would spot that kind of thing. Had Heskey been more consistent the two of them would have worked superbly. When on form they ripped teams open and sides simply couldn't live with the combination.

I have a feeling Morientes could give us what we wanted from Heskey and with a midfield of Alonso and Gerrard a forward line with Owen and Morientes with players like Hyypia, Carragher, Riise and Finnan in there thats a side which would give any team a run for there money.
115-1073096938

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:03 pm

Soccernet.com

Rafael Benitez has left the door open for Michael Owen to make a return to Liverpool.
Owen has endured a difficult first season in Spain at Real Madrid, performing well and scoring 10 league goals but being forced to make his contribution from the fringe of the team, behind Raul and Ronaldo in the pecking order.

And Benitez, who went in the opposite direction last summer when he arrived in England from Valencia, believes there will always be 'an option' for Owen to return.

'Owen is a Liverpool supporter and it is always an option for him, and for us, for him to come back,' he told a number of Sunday newspapers.

'He has the spirit that you need. He loves Liverpool so it is always an option for him to come back.'

Go on Rafa bring MO back home. :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:07 pm

bbc

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez believes a return to Liverpool for Real Madrid striker Michael Owen is "an option".
Owen, 25, has endured a tough first season in Spain, where he has scored 10 goals but has found himself behind Raul and Ronaldo in the pecking order.

Liverpool may have the first option on Owen if Real opt to sell and Benitez said: "He is a Liverpool supporter and it's always an option for him and us.

"He has the spirit you need, he loves Liverpool and it's always an option."

Owen recently said that he would have "nothing against" a return to Liverpool and repeated that he is unhappy with his limited role at Real Madrid.

The England striker, who switched from Anfield for £8m last summer, has been given just 12 league starts for his new club.

Owen will have a chance to save his Bernabeu career with a place in the starting line-up in the clash with league leaders Barcelona.

Real boss Wanderley Luxemburgo has dropped Luis Figo and Owen is set to make a rare start against the Catalans.

Owen recently told Shoot magazine: "Would I return to Liverpool? I would have nothing against it if I had to move.

"It is well-documented that I don't like sitting on the bench."

Owen's goals ratio bears favourable comparison to his rivals at Madrid - Ronaldo has scored 12 goals in 24 starts and Raul just six in 24.

With the World Cup coming on the back of next season, Owen will want to be figuring more for his club, and could decide to return to the Premiership in the summer.

"I left Liverpool on good terms, they are still the first result I look out for and I have a lot of friends there," he added.

"I have no bitterness at all towards Liverpool and they are still a club very close to my heart."
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:23 pm

anyone rather have fowler back on the cheap? how was he against us? only caught motd but he had some nice touches. two clever players like robbie and moro could be a great combo
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby banana » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:40 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
FACT, OWEN'S GOAL AVERAGE PER SEASON IS OVER 20
Owen's a 20 goals + player you say? Bollox:

03/04 16 goals
02/03 19 goals
01/02 19 goals
00/01 16 goals
99/00 11 goals
98/99 18 goals

His average being 16,5 goals, not hitting above the 20 mark in any season.

lol.

Check ya facts dickstain. Again you're just wrong.

97/ 98 1 goal
98/99 23 goals
99/00 13 goals
00/01 23 goals
01/02 24 goals
02/03 28 goals
03/04 19 goals

If you really only want to talk league goals, compare that to Baros' totals and see where we're at. I'll even say compare it to his totals when he played in the czech league. :)

You talk ******, everyone here knows it, you know it, your just to much a fool to admit it. :) You claim to be better than Murphy and that Owen is mediocre, your just a stupid ****** talking know nothing aisian who doesn't even know where Liverpool is.

That is trash. We have played better football this season, than any of the past 3 years with Owen. And next year without Owen we will finally mount a serious challenge for the title with Morientes, Baros and Cisse.

Erm... where are we in the league?

You don't seem to realise that Owen was excellent at scoring goals away from away from home and thats the reason we had a great record away under Houllier, we've missed that greatly this season and this shows every time we go away to a team like Man City. We've been pathetic and toothless and never looked like scoring in a number of games even when your magnificent (better than Owen Baros) played. Owen had a goal threat about him, he was a constant threat for 90 minutes. Baros and Morientes don't have that threat about them at all. As good as Morientes is, he's not goalscorer.

Where was Baros today by the way? Oh yeah, sittin in the ****** stand because he can't control his temper. Brilliant, truely top class.

You are truely unbelievable.

The only true and legitimate way to compare strikers is to count league goals. All teams play the SAME amount of league games against the SAME opponents. That means that the comparison is fair and unbiased. I do not know why I say this, I do not expect you to understand anyway.

Well heck I'll help you understand:
In a full season all teams will play 38 league games.
Bad teams will perhaps only play 40-42 games in total. Good teams going far in european and domestic cups may end up with 60+ games.

Include cups and you may cancel out 3 good goals scored against Everton, Arsenal and Boro with a hat trick against Wrexham.

Your lies and sorry presentation of statistically biased numbers are pathetic.

Last season Owen could not even be trusted to score from the penalty spot.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby zarababe » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:50 pm

LFC #1 wrote:Quote Michael Owen:
"I have no bitterness at all towards Liverpool and they are still a club very close to my heart."

:O let me get this straight he engineers the move to Real.. we get a paltry £8m ... after all the promises to sign an extension... .. and he is not bitter  ???

.. I do want him to comeback but really ... to say he is not bitter.. does he perhaps mean in relation to keeping the bench warm and the resultant splinters his other half pulls out from his ar.se every Saturday ..  ???  :D
Last edited by zarababe on Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:51 pm

stu_the_red wrote:People just don't understand the game at all.

He has lost a yard of pace and acceleration. Without question, no-one doubts that. But he's still fast as ****** and if he gets beyond the last defender he won't be caught. He's also lost a bit of raw edge and unpredictability.

He has however become more aware, more intelligent, he knows when to come deep and if you look at his goalscoring record, it improved year upon year, he's also lethal with his left foot given a chance.

Great players are often involved when a team scores a goal, either the finish, a pass, draging a defender away with movement or a simple but good pass in the build up. Owen was involved in ALOT of Liverpools goals.

Owen also knew how to link up with a strike partner to his own advantage and to his partners, for example, the goal in the euro's where Rooney played a 1-2 with Owen and went through and finished, could you ever see Baros playing either Rooney or Owen's part in that goal? I certainly couldn't, whereas i could see Owen doing both... sorry, HAVE seen Owen doing both and i know for a fact Morientes would spot that kind of thing. Had Heskey been more consistent the two of them would have worked superbly. When on form they ripped teams open and sides simply couldn't live with the combination.

I have a feeling Morientes could give us what we wanted from Heskey and with a midfield of Alonso and Gerrard a forward line with Owen and Morientes with players like Hyypia, Carragher, Riise and Finnan in there thats a side which would give any team a run for there money.

no ones saying owen doesn`t get on the end of things, he does, and he`s good at it but his play outside the box is poor in my opinion. he`s too lightweight and lets the ball run away from him too often to be classed as a link man.
of course he`s going to do the odd good pass but its not his forte like dalglish or cantona.
baros gets on the end of international moves too you know, you seem to like quoting owens goals to minutes ratio in spain well baros`s goal to minutes ratio in the acid test of international football must be the best around at the moment.
for the record i think owen is better than baros, but when owen wouldn`t sign the new contract extension he knew for at least a year that he didnt want to play for us, it wasnt a spur of the moment decision. in other words he ****** off on us (though who wouldnt have become disillusioned at being 5`8 or so and playing up front in a long ball side managed by that french chancer) at this moment milan baros is a liverpool player and as long as he continues to be so he gets my support.
andy cole proved at united that if the rest of the team is good you dont need to be the worlds best striker to get a bagfull of goals.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:55 pm

Rafa: Owen has a Liverpool future
By D Ferguson
10 April 2005

Rafael Benitez has revealed that signing Michael Owen is still an option.

Owen left the Premiership side to join Real Madrid last summer but Rafa has let it be known that he’s welcome the England striker back to Anfield.

Benitez told Sky Sports: "Owen is a Liverpool supporter and it is always an option for him, and for us, for him to come back.

"He has the spirit that you need.

“He loves Liverpool so it is always an option for him to come back."
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion