Owen moves to real completed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby lakes10 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:57 pm

Owen moves to Real

Michael Owen has completed his move from Liverpool to Real Madrid after passing a medical.
Owen, 24, is to sign a four-year deal with Real in a move which is expected to net Liverpool £8m plus midfielder Antonio Nunez.

"I was very happy with Michael and I wanted him to stay. The problem was he only had a year left on his contract," said Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez.

Owen is to be officially unveiled at the Bernabeau on Saturday.

It is thought he will return to England over the weekend to join up with the national team squad as they congregate to prepare for the friendly against Ukraine on Wednesday.

Benitez, who took over at Anfield during the summer, says he will use the money generated from the Owen transfer to continue his rebuilding at the club.

He added: "Real Madrid started talking with his agent and in the end it was an impossible situation to control.

"The money from his sale will be used to balance the team.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:57 pm

i think this is a sad day for liverpool fc
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whitehouse » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:58 pm

what happens now if the nunez deal falls through
whitehouse

Postby Ciggy » Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:59 pm

Hes even took a pay cut theres somethin someones not tellin us I think its cause he wont be raffas golden boy :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:00 pm

not  sure it will but we might just pull some kid of the street and stick him up front as he will fit in well with the left overs
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby the great one » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:01 pm

lakes10 wrote:not  sure it will but we might just pull some kid of the street and stick him up front as he will fit in well with the left overs

i'll do it  :O
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:01 pm

We still have good forwards here and a good team. We did our best to keep him but, as I say, in the end it was a difficult situation for us."

He added: "I talked with him a lot of times and the only thing I can say is I wish him all the best."

came through the ranks at the Bernabeu but made just 11 appearances for Real last season as he found it hard to secure a regular first-team berth.

He is expected to sign a two-year contract with the option to extend the deal to a third season.

"It is never going to be satisfactory leaving the best team in the world but playing for Liverpool is a dream come true for any player," Nunez told a Spanish website.

"The deal is almost done. It is only a question of tying up a few details which should be no problem although Real will retain an option to buy me back in the future.
I've always made a point of following the games in the English league because it is the sort of football that I like to play and now I'm going to be part of it. I hope to adjust to it as quickly as possible."

He added: "Even if Owen hadn't signed for Liverpool I already had an offer from Liverpool and I knew that the manager was keen to sign me which is something to be proud of.

"Last season I found out how hard it would be to play at Real and I know Liverpool will be the same, but I hope to get some more minutes on the pitch."

Owen was left on the bench for Liverpool's Champions League game against Graz AK on Tuesday so as not to be cup-tied and decrease his value.

With just one year left on his Liverpool contract, Owen would have been able to leave the club he has been at since he was 11-years-old for free at the end of the season.

Owen insisted he would not allow that to happen, but the Anfield bosses have decided to ensure they cash in.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:03 pm

Yea Anfield bosses cashed in for a low price.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby lakes10 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:03 pm

oh well all is left to say is good luck owen WE WILL MISS YOU  and thanks for the goals how did it feel to be a bargain bucket
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 72-1090627431 » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:08 pm

Be interesting to see what Owen actually has to say for himself, seeing as there was no press conference etc!
72-1090627431

Postby the great one » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:10 pm

we won't here him till maybe wednesday at the england game
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:20 pm

Good to know, can't miss that now can I.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby the great one » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:20 pm

unless your scottish
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:22 pm

the great one wrote:unless your scottish

lol, good thing theres Sky Sports News here in the US
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion