Owen & gerrard to have say on  new manager - Top players will be consulted

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby zarababe » Sun May 30, 2004 11:42 am

So Rick has indicated that Owen and Gerrard (& perhaps other senior players) will be consulted on the qualities required for the new manager. I find this a just a tad worrying, because Owen & Gerrard have the little issue of Euro 2004 .... and when will this consultation happen? there's nothing wrong with the players being consulted but.. when, how and where? Rick's on his hols, O & G and others are heading for Portugal, meanwhile decisions regarding Managerial appointments are being made by some of the key clubs. Am I the only one worrying?
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby mynameisred » Sun May 30, 2004 11:53 am

Yeah I just heard that too, Im not worried tho I reckon they know more about the squad and what the team needs than anyone at this time, also we dont want to lose our two best players by bringing someone in they really dont want to work with. The questions we need to ask is who would they both recommend? Hey its just me specualting but what about Sven?, we got money, players he has worked with and he would be given time. Perhaps im getting a bit enthuiastic here.
The man who came to merseyside from Newcastle, the man who says he's part of Liverpool as much as the Liver building. When he was needed Alan Kennedy was there. And with now just 8 minutes to go it could be that Alan Kennedy has made a little history.
mynameisred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun May 30, 2004 12:19 pm

i would imagine,any views of the players have probably already been made known.
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun May 30, 2004 12:40 pm

Could it be Benitez? I know he has to give Valencia 15 days notice before he can leave for free. Could it be that he have already agreed but are now serving the notice or pending final negotiation with Valencia? Obviously I am guessing here but I thought the job of getting a new manager is priority and if I were Rick, I will stay put until the job is done.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun May 30, 2004 1:32 pm

I agree, I think Parry should have postponed his holdiay and stayed to sort things out, if only to provide clarity to the situation.

I also wonder though... could there be a danger that some players are consulted and the rest (who are likely to stay) aren't, thus leading to some division in the changing room? or am I really getting paranoid now?
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Sun May 30, 2004 4:23 pm

Erickson- he'll probably bring Heskey back, I'd prefer to see the Neville sisters play than for that oaf to be back.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jack66 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:09 pm

I cant understand this.Why is parry on holiday for ****** sake.He should be here sorting out a new manager.apparantly he broke off from his holiday in a 5 star hotel in the caribbean to talk to a reporter for 5 minutes on his mobile phone,about consulting with top players about our manager...This is one of the most important times in our history (that has got to be done right) and hes ****** sunning his ****** in the caribbean.
jack66

Postby cheesecakery » Sun May 30, 2004 11:15 pm

Yeah I just heard that too, Im not worried tho I reckon they know more about the squad and what the team needs than anyone at this time, also we dont want to lose our two best players by bringing someone in they really dont want to work with. The questions we need to ask is who would they both recommend? Hey its just me specualting but what about Sven?, we got money, players he has worked with and he would be given time. Perhaps im getting a bit enthuiastic here.
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby supersub » Sun May 30, 2004 11:20 pm

So where is the joke cheesey?
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby jack66 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:26 pm

cheesecakery wrote:Yeah I just heard that too, Im not worried tho I reckon they know more about the squad and what the team needs than anyone at this time, also we dont want to lose our two best players by bringing someone in they really dont want to work with. The questions we need to ask is who would they both recommend? Hey its just me specualting but what about Sven?, we got money, players he has worked with and he would be given time. Perhaps im getting a bit enthuiastic here.

im sure ive read this somewhere before....... ???
jack66

Postby redharry » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:14 am

I work at "Jaguar" and they have just taken on a new manager.I am well ****** off they did not see fit to ask my opinion.
What a load of old b-----ks, since when did owners ask workers who they should employ.
Just get the bloody thing sorted.:D :D :D :p :p :p
redharry

Postby azriahmad » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:27 am

I think when Parry said that Owen and Gerrard would be consulted on the managerial appointment is to show that Liverpool wants these two to stay. Unlike any other workplaces, a football club relies more on a few people than others. Liverpool's worry or concern is to have Owen commit his future to the club.

It was quite obvious that Owen's body language last season is that of an unhappy person when he was on the pitch. He had little support up front, the midfielders' service was horrible, he was often taking on defenders on his own, he was not scoring regularly and he was low on confidence. More importantly, his contract will run out at the end of next season.

Given his quality, Liverpool has to work overtime to convince him to stay.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:40 am

It was quite obvious that Owen's body language last season is that of an unhappy person when he was on the pitch. He had little support up front, the midfielders' service was horrible, he was often taking on defenders on his own, he was not scoring regularly and he was low on confidence. More importantly, his contract will run out at the end of next season.

I actually watched 12 games in a row where Owen was gettin fantastic support and botching easy goals. Dont know what games you were watching. It astounds me that so many people say this, yet Steven Gerrard is said to have had his best season ever.
Football is a simple game, all you have to do is pass the ball to a player in a red shirt.
Red
LFC Elite Member

Postby Santa » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:25 am

Owen was often left alone upfront and GH chose to play Cheyrou, Kewell behind Owen when he could use someone along side of him to perhaps take some attention away. Why he didn't play Baros more often remains a mystery. And yes Gerrard had a super season but there is no one playing close to his level to provide ammunition for Owen, and his confidence have suffered.

I actually watched 12 games in a row where Owen was gettin fantastic support and botching easy goals. Dont know what games you were watching.

How many quality crosses do you see being provided for Owen in those games? Agreed Owen didn't have a fantastic season by his standard and it is mainly down to (1) injury layoff (2) support (3) formation. Towards the last few games when Heskey was partnering Owen upfront, we did see a better return from Owen.

JMHO
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion