Yes
28%
No
51%
Undecided
21%

Total votes : 78

Postby Raoul » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:39 am

A friend of mine (Arsenal fan) suggested this to me last year when the team was struggling under Benetiz. I thought it was all a bit too much from left field then, but I voted undecided now.

I think we'd need to see how this year pans out for him and us, but as others have posted, why not an ambitious young manager, as part of the rebuilding that'll be happening over the next few years? One big concern of course is that if I was Reina/Torres/Gerrard/etc that I'd see this as an appointment for the future, rather than for the next couple of seasons. I guess it depends how deep and long-term the changes Henry and co think they have to make.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 am

killerp wrote:Here is Owen's list of clubs he has managed, it doesn't really blow my pants off to be honest. There is not much to suggest he is any better than Roy.

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1985–1988 Dumbarton 103 (36)
1988–1990 Clydebank 63 (33)
1990–1993 Airdrieonians 123 (50)
1993–1995 Bolton Wanderers 54 (12)
1995–1997 Dundee United 38 (5)
1997–1999 Motherwell 79 (25)
1999–2001 Dunfermline Athletic 47 (10)
2000–2001 → Ross County (loan) 5 (2)
2001–2002 Airdrieonians 45 (29)
2002–2003 Falkirk 36 (20)
2003–2004 Dundee United 3 (0)
2003–2004 → Airdrie (loan) 23 (13)
2004–2005 Airdrie United 34 (14)
2005–2007 St. Johnstone 16 (0)
Total  669 (249)

What a great comment.

Was Shanks' record any better, or Paisley or Kenny or Evans?
Apparently those lads were darn lucky to get a job eh?

I know its easy to post on a forum, but selecting a manager requires a slightly more sophisticated approach otherwise no managers would ever filter thru to the top clubs would they?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Reg wrote:
killerp wrote:Here is Owen's list of clubs he has managed, it doesn't really blow my pants off to be honest. There is not much to suggest he is any better than Roy.

Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
1985–1988 Dumbarton 103 (36)
1988–1990 Clydebank 63 (33)
1990–1993 Airdrieonians 123 (50)
1993–1995 Bolton Wanderers 54 (12)
1995–1997 Dundee United 38 (5)
1997–1999 Motherwell 79 (25)
1999–2001 Dunfermline Athletic 47 (10)
2000–2001 → Ross County (loan) 5 (2)
2001–2002 Airdrieonians 45 (29)
2002–2003 Falkirk 36 (20)
2003–2004 Dundee United 3 (0)
2003–2004 → Airdrie (loan) 23 (13)
2004–2005 Airdrie United 34 (14)
2005–2007 St. Johnstone 16 (0)
Total  669 (249)

What a great comment.

Was Shanks' record any better, or Paisley or Kenny or Evans?
Apparently those lads were darn lucky to get a job eh?

I know its easy to post on a forum, but selecting a manager requires a slightly more sophisticated approach otherwise no managers would ever filter thru to the top clubs would they?

thats his playing record.

He looks a very promising up and coming manager Coyle and likes to play football.

Didnt NESV bring in a young up and coming man for the red sox when they took over ?
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:44 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:thats his playing record.

He looks a very promising up and coming manager Coyle and likes to play football.

Didnt NESV bring in a young up and coming man for the red sox when they took over ?

Yep, i believe so.  Think thats their philosophy.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:49 pm

jacdaniel wrote:

Thought so.

So the likes of Coyle and Di Matteo may be in with a shout if/when the owners look to bring in their own man.
Ben Patrick

Postby Roger Red Hat » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:54 pm

the next Liverpool gaffa?
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:11 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
jacdaniel wrote:

Thought so.

So the likes of Coyle and Di Matteo may be in with a shout if/when the owners look to bring in their own man.

I like both their philosophy of the way the game should be played - both impressive starts to their respective managerial career .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:16 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:
jacdaniel wrote:

Thought so.

I like both their philosophy of the way the game should be played - both impressive starts to their respective managerial career .

Yeah so do i.

The way West Brom have been approaching away games has impressed me.

Both of these guys look to have bright futures in management from what they have showed so far.
Its whether they get the chance at a big club and if they do, which club decides to give them it.
You would think we would be the most likely given the current manager we have is struggling and the fact that NESV went for the young and up and coming manager approach with the red sox.
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:18 pm

Its about time someone who is building their career got a chance at a big club and these two are firmly at the front of the queue . I wouldnt complain if the club give them a chance .
Benny The Noon

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:23 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Its about time someone who is building their career got a chance at a big club and these two are firmly at the front of the queue . I wouldnt complain if the club give them a chance .

yeah i agree.

Between the two i would go for Coyle, he done a decent job in Scotland and then obviously got Burnley promoted and had a decent start to the season before moving on to Bolton.
He now has them in a very good position and they do play good football.
And he is a scot, nothing against Di Matteo for being italian but i would prefer a scot if i had a choice between the two.
Ben Patrick

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:24 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:Its about time someone who is building their career got a chance at a big club and these two are firmly at the front of the queue . I wouldnt complain if the club give them a chance .

yeah i agree.

Between the two i would go for Coyle, he done a decent job in Scotland and then obviously got Burnley promoted and had a decent start to the season before moving on to Bolton.
He now has them in a very good position and they do play good football.
And he is a scot, nothing against Di Matteo for being italian but i would prefer a scot if i had a choice between the two.

Yeah i would agree 100% - they both also seem decent guys as well . Would be interesting to see how the players would react to an appointment like that
Benny The Noon

Postby Waldo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm

I don't think there will be any short term movement with regards the management but I like what I hear about Owen Coyle. Have a friend employed by St Johnstone who worked with Owen during his time there.

Some of his comments were - Owen comes across as very cool calm and collected but has a fierce streak. Very good coach and very ambitious man.

The more I think about the more I think it would be a good move but I share the same concern as others on here in that it may see the likes of Torres, Reina and Gerrard move on as the clubs looks more towards med-long term goals as opposed to the next 6-12-18 months. What he has achieved with Burnley and Bolton is very encouraging and it fits with the ethos of the new owners - Young, homegrown talent developed into a winning team/squad.

I like the idea of Coyle joining LFC but I am just not 100% sure of now is the right time. Had we been miles off the top of the top 4 still then maybe as we would have nothing to lose; but given the way the league is this season and with us still in with a realistic chance of Top 4 maybe they will stick with what they have got for the time being.

I also dont think we would need to panic as the clubs around us (i.e. those who may be looking to replace managers anytime soon) probably wouldn't look at Coyle. He wouldnt be seen as a realistic replacement for any of the top 4-6 at the moment and I dont think he would tempted by the likes of Wolves, West Ham or any of the teams near the foot of the table who have managers under pressure. 

He has taken small clubs and over acheived and would LFC be too big for him? That would be my only concern.

Perhaps an ideal combo would be Kenny and Coyle with Comolli overseeing everything. Might seem a little like "too many cooks" but would be a good team IMO. Would Coyle accept a role like that though? From what I hear he is fiercly independant so perhaps not.

The link with Celtic (Coyle is/was a Celtic man) may see Kenny have a MASSIVE influence on whatever may happen with regards Coyle!!
Waldo
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:46 pm

Are you guys serious??? way way too much of a punt.. good promising young manager, but not ready yet!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:02 pm

crazyhorse wrote:Are you guys serious??? way way too much of a punt.. good promising young manager, but not ready yet!

i agree but that's modern day football. any manager who does a half decent job, especially a british one, is always going to be touted around for higher profile jobs. they don't have to win anything of note.

i like coyle because he comes across as a genuine bloke who plays football the right way and doesn't make excuses when his team get beat. contrast this to the likes of bruce, fat sam, o'neill and the likes. it was a well know fact that celtic wanted him before he went to bolton.

he's doing a great job at bolton but that doesn't in any way shape or form mean that he's anywhere near good enough to manage a really big club.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:07 pm

stmichael wrote:
crazyhorse wrote:Are you guys serious??? way way too much of a punt.. good promising young manager, but not ready yet!

i agree but that's modern day football. any manager who does a half decent job, especially a british one, is always going to be touted around for higher profile jobs. they don't have to win anything of note.

i like coyle because he comes across as a genuine bloke who plays football the right way and doesn't make excuses when his team get beat. contrast this to the likes of bruce, fat sam, o'neill and the likes. it was a well know fact that celtic wanted him before he went to bolton.

he's doing a great job at bolton but that doesn't in any way shape or form mean that he's anywhere near good enough to manage a really big club.

i see where your coming from mate but you never know really.
I suppose its like signing a youngster for decent money like united did with Ronaldo.
It could end up to be a brilliant decision but it could end up a mistake.
It would be a gamble but i have a good feeling about Coyle me.
Ben Patrick

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion