Yes
28%
No
51%
Undecided
21%

Total votes : 78

Postby boodiddy1 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:18 pm

I believe Coyle would do a great job. You really dont need to have great experience of managing a top club to be a success.

Look at Arry at spurs. Benitez at valencia, mourinho at porto, Ancelotti at Milan.. the list goes on.

You dont neccesarily need to have big experience to be a success at a top club. you gotta start somewhere right?

The club needs fresh air and a new direction. if that means that stevie, nando and reina wont win the big things because we need a few more years than they are willing to commit to then so be it. The club goes on forever and is the most important thing.

I want this club to play football the way it used to. Under houllier and rafa we have had good times but have been very regimented in our play. Only now and again have we had any fluidity. Lets get back to the pass and move groove. For that, i truly believe someone like Owen could well be our own Fergie. (except he wont be a :censored:)
boodiddy1

Postby PabloMedina28 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:54 pm

too be honest ive not seen enough of coyles teams to make a judegment on him or how he would cope at a big club but from what i have seen with his burnley and bolton teams atleast he would get us playing attractive football and god forbid play 2 up top :)
PabloMedina28
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:12 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Lee J wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:I will do indeed - as we can't yet I'm judging on what I see currently .

through those Rafa coloured specs?  :D

I'm sorry you will have to point out anyone mentioning previous manager - put the matches and big wooden spoon away

How long have you been waiting to write that?
:laugh:
So come on. Explain what you mean by this questionable effort:
"Hodgson has had 35 years of management and shown he should stay at lower to mid table teams - Coyle has been managing for a couple of years and has had success and the big difference " success playing a better brand of football "
Im all ears...
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby LFC2007 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:41 am

We should be keeping on all the emerging managers, one of whom is Coyle, and really try our damndest to spot the potential greats. The talent pool doesn't just dry up as soon as Ferguson and Wenger leave the scene. There are managers beginning in the game now who will be up there in the top jobs five, six, seven years from now, and they're the ones we need to keep an eye on with a view to something further. We should be checking everything about them against what we know are the characteristics of great managers - of the past and in the present. It's not good enough to make a decision solely or even predominantly based on their record. We should be looking at everything about the way their teams play; from their tactics to how motivated or responsive their players are, to the manager's transfer record, and to the way he himself comes across - because that can give an indication of the character of the man, the man who relates to the players and the fans. We can perhaps get by on Roy and then Kenny, but sooner or later we'll need to gets someone who can last for the long-term, and that might just be Coyle.
LFC2007

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:27 am

Benny The Noon wrote:
Lee J wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:I will do indeed - as we can't yet I'm judging on what I see currently .

I'm sorry you will have to point out anyone mentioning previous manager - put the matches and big wooden spoon away

no wooden spoon out here - sorry.

just saying it as it is
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:55 pm

Lee J wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
Lee J wrote:

just saying it as it is

This thread is about Coyle - nothing at all to do with previous manager
Benny The Noon

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:05 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Lee J wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
Lee J wrote:

just saying it as it is

How has Hodgson shown that he should "stay at lower to mid table teams"?

And what "success" has Own Coyle had?

In your own time...
Thommo's perm

Postby Shake abush » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:14 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:How has Hodgson shown that he should "stay at lower to mid table teams"?

In your own time...

35years as a manager has shown all of us Roy hodgson's level . Has hhe become a world class manager all of a sudden , NO .

Owen Coyle has been a manager for what 4/5 years . There is no comparison with coyle and hodgson . Coyle would atleast be a gamble where as Hodgson was always going to be a middle of the road ,none risk taking , :censored: spouting pensioner.

"how do i get to nirvana mate?"

"Do a right at the George onto oakfield. Follow the road down to the end , you've got the sandon on your right and directly ahead is nirvana"
Shake abush

Postby worcester_red » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:16 pm

I'd much rather have Coyle than Hodgson but I'mnot sure he's ready to step up to the big job just yet, maybe get him in as assistant with a view to him taking control in a few years time and then get an experienced manager in place.
worcester_red

Postby Roger Red Hat » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Lee J wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:
Lee J wrote:

just saying it as it is

as long as you remember that.  :nod
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Roy is definitly a lower level manager.  He spent about 32 years managing lower clubs like Malmo.  Scandanavian titles don't make anyone a great manager.  Taking the Swiss to the WC was a decent achievement but Mick McCarthy took Ireland to the last 16 in the WC and nobody thinks he is great. (rightly so).

He may have did decent in his first season at Blackburn, but he got sacked when they were in the relegation zone.  Wiki Blackburn and scroll down to the paragraph "Downfall" and Roys name is visible.

His efforts in the Uefa Cup have been his biggest success.

He was brought in to steady the ship but now that we have new owners we need to focus on getting a long term manager.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:42 pm

Thommo's perm wrote:How has Hodgson shown that he should "stay at lower to mid table teams"?

In your own time...

35 years of management at a lower level club and doing well with them points to his level - one attempt at a higher level in the prem ended with him being sacked - an attempt in italy ended with him leaving after no trophies - does well at lower level clubs or scandinavia clubs

Coyle - got Burnley promoted , took over at Bolton when they were struggling and got them playing football to the point they are currently sitting 5th in the table , his teams try and play better football , his tactics and set up are better .[/quote]
Thanks for that. Now tell me which other "lower level manager" has won championships in other countries, took an unfancied and outsider Swiss team to the world cup finals and European Championships, guided the nearly relegated blackburn to a eufa cup qualification place in his first season, got the mighty Inter Milan to a Eufa cup final, and the minnows Fulham to a europa league final?

As far as Coyles concerned. If you see getting Burnley promoted and Bolton to fifth as enough evidence to manage LFC then go right ahead.
:laugh:[/quote]
Well Steve McClaren comes to mind - in fact he won a title in a better league than Hodgson . Dont forget his Blackburn team that he spent 20 million on got relegated with all his signings after he was sacked after a very poor start to season .

So in 35 years of management how many major trophies is it he has won ? NONE.

Like i said he does well with lower unfancied teams . Thanks for showing that for me and backing my point up .
Benny The Noon

Postby Red-er-Dare » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:56 pm

The people advocating a change of manager now and Coyle being a good replacement will no doubt be chomping for a change after a few poor results moaning about his lack of experience as a reason to get him OUT! Wi ay maaan!
Red-er-Dare

Postby burjennio » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:00 pm

I think the thread was to gauge opinion on Coyle and whether we believe he will be good enough to be LFC manager one day. I think it needs moved to Prem discussion
burjennio

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:23 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:

In your own time...

35 years of management at a lower level club and doing well with them points to his level - one attempt at a higher level in the prem ended with him being sacked - an attempt in italy ended with him leaving after no trophies - does well at lower level clubs or scandinavia clubs

Coyle - got Burnley promoted , took over at Bolton when they were struggling and got them playing football to the point they are currently sitting 5th in the table , his teams try and play better football , his tactics and set up are better .

Thanks for that. Now tell me which other "lower level manager" has won championships in other countries, took an unfancied and outsider Swiss team to the world cup finals and European Championships, guided the nearly relegated blackburn to a eufa cup qualification place in his first season, got the mighty Inter Milan to a Eufa cup final, and the minnows Fulham to a europa league final?

As far as Coyles concerned. If you see getting Burnley promoted and Bolton to fifth as enough evidence to manage LFC then go right ahead.
:laugh:[/quote]
Well Steve McClaren comes to mind - in fact he won a title in a better league than Hodgson . Dont forget his Blackburn team that he spent 20 million on got relegated with all his signings after he was sacked after a very poor start to season .

So in 35 years of management how many major trophies is it he has won ? NONE.

Like i said he does well with lower unfancied teams . Thanks for showing that for me and backing my point up .[/quote]
Good to see your finally coming clean with your "I support the manager" charade.
Well done. Personally I knew you couldnt keep it up.

OK you win.
Coyle is successful and should be given a chance at managing us...
:wwww
Thommo's perm

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion