Owen and ? - Is there a partner out there?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby supersub » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:43 pm

Is there a perfect partner for Michael Owen or are we left with a front-man,who some claim is world class,and yet nobody can form a real partnership with him.Heskey was about the nearest thing but that was sporadic.Shearer failed to gel with Michael,Rooney perhaps might.
      It's well documented that Baros and Owen don't seem to perform together,so Milan had to make-way.With the imminent arrival of Cisse,could he be the answer or could the unthinkable happen and Owen is on the bench whilst Cisse and Baros form the Premier Leagues deadliest scoring partnership.
Last edited by supersub on Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:49 pm

Fowler and Owen did quite well, Michael plays very differently to other strikers cos he isn't exactly a poacher but he can't run at people like he used to either.  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Steph Gleave » Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:56 pm

Who know's supersub but it's gonna be a good thing with three world class strikers in the one team all fighting for two places and let's not forget Pongo as he's gonna be knocking on the door pretty soon too so it's gonna be a good headache for Rafa back too who's the best person too play with own maybe it's Cisse as he is the type of player Owen can run off and Cisse can also play them killer balls through too Owen which we all know he loves but then again could we afford too leave Baros on the bench with the form he's showed so far in euro 2004 it's gonna be interesting too say the least.
Steph Gleave

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:58 am

Game on ! :D :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:07 am

It won't be very easy for Rafa to keep them all happy. I'm also worried there'll be sort of hidden psywar among them (albeit normal if put in a professional context). At least, as Steph said, it's a good headache. Bad one could have happened if Gerrard left and Owen was tempted to follow.

+ Cisse's been injured for a year, Baros to leave for Villa for 3M, Pongolle's unhappy and had had a talk with Monaco, etc....  :p

So let's trust Rafa with our precious assets.
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:52 pm

ive been worried by this to. Owen just cant seem to find a partner, hopefully he will click with cisse and they will both start banging in the goals for the mighty reds
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:21 pm

Baros and Cisse. i dont think anyone can partner Owen, to have a partnership both people have to contribute. Owen just doesn't.:O
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmyb » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:37 pm

How can you say owen doesnt contribute,our leading goalscorer for the past six seasons,even with all his injuries,give him some credit
jimmyb

Postby JBG » Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:48 pm

I reckon the major controversy next season will be over who makes up our front two.

It'll be like 2000 and 2001 all over again when we had Heskey, Fowler and Owen, and in the end Fowler missed out.

I honestly don't think we can accomodate all 3, as they are all good players and all are big personalities, so I reckon one will kick up a fuss and leave within the next 18 months.

Which one? Who knows?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby kenco » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:08 pm

OWEN  just goal hangs. End of story. tell me he does'nt, jimmyb. what else doe's he contribute, does he take a man on , does he make his own goals,is he in the same class as henry, van nistleroy, rooney?. Com'n lets be honest. :( :(
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmyb » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:16 pm

Owen isnt as good as henry but who is? van nistelrooy is a goal hanger ,rooney has just started out. owen has done it consistently for liverpool and england . how often does owen get liverpool out of trouble iknow he hasnt been as good as he can but he deseves our respect
jimmyb

Postby supersub » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:29 pm

I hope Benitez picks our front two on performance and not for dated reputation.I want every player to earn the right to be play.If we are to go forward and compete with the best ,then we have to have 11 players on the pitch hungry for success and a bench full of subs ,chomping at the bit,waiting for a chance to impress.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby kenco » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:32 pm

THAT'S ALL WE ASK FOR!!!
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:38 pm

Van nistleroy is hunger, so is henry. Can you honestly say Owen has looked hungry in the last two seasons.you dont gain respect you earn it jimmby. and you have to continue to earn it. Not live on the past.!! :O
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jimmyb » Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:56 pm

No ones saying keep him indefinitely I just think the man has earned a bit of leeway,, i still think owen will get 20 league goals this season and i guarantee he will start the season, if he doesnt do it for us next season then move him on.I bet he likes having competition from baros and cisse.
jimmyb

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion